“Fantastic view!”

Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe
Ranked #10 of 65 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed in room 302 Building B (highly recommend building B - unobstructed view for us of the sand, lake and mountains). Room was clean, had a flat screen TV, gas fireplace, and balcony. It had a coffeemaker although we didn't use it. Had no problems with noise from the neighbors, room was cleaned very well while we were out. I'd definitely stay at this place again. One note, they are undergoing renovation so both pool and hot tub were out of commission during our stay. The lady at the front desk was very helpful and friendly when I called to make the reservation which actually swayed us in favor of staying here instead of the other options I had looked in to.

Room Tip: Building B gives terrific unobstructed views of the lake and is right on the beach.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Shelly S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,159)

Reviewed 27 January 2014

This hotel is by far one of my best hotel experiences! We stayed here Saturday night and Sunday morning, and I had such an pleasant time.

When we came to registration, the people who helped us were extremely helpful and kind, and they really made us feel welcome. They were even kind enough to knock off about fourty dollars because we came when there was no snow and it was a little bit of an awkward time since some construction was going on and not all the services were available.

We came to our rooms, and I was pretty impressed from first sight. We had booked the Lake View Double room, and it looked just like the pictures on the website! The room was very clean and picturesque- there was a nice flat screen TV, very comfy beds with like six fluffy pillows on each, and a gas fireplace (which I loved sooo much, it made the room so cozy!) Plus, because we got the Lake View room, we had such a breathtaking sight of the lake, definitely my best hotel view ever! Make sure you get a building in Building C for Lake View (which is only slightly partially obstructed by trees- still an amazing view) or Building D for beachfront (right there smack on the beach, beautiful, unobstructed view of the lake and beach and beyond). They were very generous with towels, they even gave us two warm blankets! Complimentary face soap, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel- they were in these dispenser bottles that were stylishly attaced to the wall so you can use as much as you need and the hotel doesn't waste anything! Pretty smart. The room had two cozy beds, I think two dressers/night stands/counters, one table, two chairs, a toilet and shower room (no bathtub :c ) and a separate sink room. They had free coffee in our rooms and in the lobby, and there was a microwave in the lobby as well as two computers and a printer. We were in Level C on the ground floor, so our patio opened up practically right onto the beach area, other rooms had balconies.
We love love loved the pier which we walked out onto and took magnificent photos of the lake and the mountain views- i even went to the very end of the pier and threw a nickel into the lake after making a wish.
Unfortunately for us, the pool and jacuzzi were closed since it was wayyyy too cold, and the boathouse was closed as well, (I think!), but we didn't mind too much since the beach was pretty amazing, although we were a bit bummed.
The best time to visit, I would say, is in the summer or spring when it's warm and the pool is open!! Plus, I think the views are a lot more better then!
Around the hotel there's a multitude of restaurants to choose from, a Safeway right across, and also a pretty large outdoor mall with lots of name brand stores (like Northface) and also a lot of quaint little ones I never heard of before but were super cool too!
All in all, I had a wonderful time here- nice room, nice views, nice employees too! (They were soooo friendly and kind, super helpful too!) I will definitely be going back here in the warmer months, and you guys definitely should too! Perfect for people with kids or if you want a nice little relaxing getaway to find yourself- sit on the pier, soak in the views, and really think about things! Overall, I would give the Beach Retreat and Lodge at Lake Tahoe a four out of five stars! Lovely place!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank alexsoeee
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We traveled before the summer tourist season opened, so the motel wasn't full. So glad we paid a little extra and were lucky enough to get a first floor room that opened on to the beach. The best part of the morning was sitting on our patio taking in the view, then taking a walk to the end of the pier. Good comfortable room for the price, and the fireplace kept it warm and cozy. We considered it a plus that we were across the street from nice grocery store. Would definitely stay here again. Only unfavorable thing to mention is that since it is a motel, the walls are somewhat thin; so we did experience some noise from the room next door.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PKR-Texas
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We planned two nights at this resort, but awoke the second morning to a severe weather warning. Not wanting to drive down the mountain in snow and ice, we reluctantly decided to cut short our stay. The staff handled that with aplomb...no charge for the second reserved night.

We were very sorry to have to leave early, as we were happily ensconced in a comfortable room with a lovely view of Lake Tahoe. That is one of the best things about this resort...the location right on the lake. Our room was cozy with a very efficient and much appreciated gas fireplace. The super comfortable king bed boasted very fine linens. The bath, though small, was full equipped with everything we needed for our stay. We found our room to be very quiet at this time of year.

It was convenient to have two restaurants on site, both of which we really enjoyed. Breakfast at Kitchen34eleven right off the lobby was terrific, good food, friendly service and priced right for the size of the portions. The Boathouse on the Pier features a romantic atmosphere, delicious food and drinks and a view that is out of this world. We sat at a tall table near the bar and were served by the bartender. She was fantastic...one of those people who without hovering seems to anticipate one's every need. Quite a feat considering that the place was packed!

As we drove away, we promised each other a return trip next year...a bit earlier in the fall so as to avoid bad weather.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the water. We were on the third floor in building B so our view was un...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We purchased a Groupon for this "resort" for a two day stay. It was advertised as a lake view, which it was, but not lake front. It also came with vouchers for $25/lunch and 2 sun setter sippers. We were not going to be around for lunch, so asked if we could use it for breakfast instead - No was the answer. We also don't drink hard liquor drinks, so asked if we could have beer and wine instead, No - again. Not even credit towards the beer and wine which they said was more expensive than the mixed drinks. The room was fine, but no tub or fridge. The deal was still less expensive than their normal rates, but I'm not sure I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Except for the rooms on the highway side, most of the rooms should be quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Just stayed for one night. The hotel has great location, and it is nice to walk to beach and view sunset. The room is clean and comfortable.The only issue is that we booked lake-view room, but it is actually half lake-view.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Myself, my two teens, and our golden retriever stayed 3 nights during the week of Oct. 14th. We really enjoyed our stay! Check in was easy and welcoming. Noah was very kind and friendly. I had requested a fridge and he made sure it got there...infact, it arrived right after we got to our room, so we could get it cooling right away. The upgrades look great, the room was very clean and comfortable. Lots of pillows and plenty of towels. The fireplace is a great addition...so nice to warm up after being outside in the evening. The grounds are pretty and well cared for and they have made some nice additions for dog owners. There are several doggy bag dispensers and disposal cans around the perimeter of the resort. Makes it so easy in case you forget bags. Our dog loved it there! We had a ground floor which was very convenient and our patio door opened onto a nice grassy area. It was very quiet except for occasional foot steps from a child upstairs. We would love to come here again and take advantage of the volleyball net on the beach, the hammocks among the trees on the beach side, the pool and the restaurant that is open for breakfast. I felt the price was great for the location and how clean and nice the grounds and rooms are. I have read some negative reviews that I don't agree with we think this is a great place and the staff we encountered was very nice. If I were to give any suggestions to the resort I would say that a fridge being standard in the room would be great. I bet they are harder to come by in the busy season. Also it would be nice to have a continental breakfast included. That would make it feel like an even better deal! We will be back and I will also recommend The Beach Retreat and Lodge to my friends!! :)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family