“Better stay in Days Inn”

Beach Retreat & Lodge at Tahoe
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
New York City, New York
“Better stay in Days Inn”
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Not a good choice to stay. I would rather stay at Days inn than this hotel next time.
Since it costs more, we expect it would good. But it's not. The reason as follows:-
1. I booked a Lakeview King room. What I got is a partial view of the lake only from the balcony. When I asked them if there is a better room from where I can have a better view of lake, the front desk lady said it will cost $40 extra.
2. The room didn't have a king bed. It was a queen. When I told front desk about it, she said its a different sized king. lol. King doesn't come in different sizes (ex cal king). I don't like people to be such liar on face. I will call that girl a bit**.
3. There was a old tv CRT. Compared to most hotels now days have LCD.
4. There is not bath tub. No microwave.
5. Noise : you can hear people walking on the alley, on upper floor or even the intimate relationship the next door is having.
6. I don't think after all those above things anyone would like to pay $150+tax for this kind of room.

• Stayed February 2014
9 Thank DavidStrehlow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Have stayed here twice - once for a winter ski getaway to Heavenly and one for a summer weekend away, this place fit the bill for both. Has a nice lakeside beach. Rooms are small but the beds are comfy. The bathrooms are pretty bad stand up plastic showers, kind of ghetto. Nice gas fireplace in our room. They allow dogs on the first floor which was a must for us. In the winter they ran a deal that included lift tix to Heavenly, ski waxing and storage. They're also steps away from the Heavenly shuttle to the resort. Would go again as the price is right but I'm not overly impressed with the place.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sharon W
Oakland, California
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed for two nights in a King room through a Hotwire deal. The bed was super comfortable and the room was well decorated and the space was used well. Our room had a table and two chairs, a closet, two-part bathroom, hallway/entry area with hooks to hang coats, and a balcony. The room was warmer and less noisy that other similar places we have stayed in South Lake. Even though we were close to the main road, we could not hear any noise from the bedroom area. We enjoyed the electric fireplace, convenient parking, and free wifi, and we were so close to the base of Heavenly. Only downsides were we didn't see a hot tub and the front desk staff pushed their expensive restaurant a bit too much (--they wouldn't give us recommendations for any other local spots).

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank canusatravel
San Jose, California
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Lodging in Tahoe during ski season is expensive, so when I got a room with a king bed on saturday night for 30% off ($100) through hotwire, I was pretty stoked on it.
Pro:
- Pet friendly (several people had their dogs)
- Nice fireplace
- Good linens on the relatively high quality bed
Neutral:
- had a hot tub, but was broken when we were there
- location is about as central as everything in south lake, but not walking distance to casinos. Across from a safeway though
- Price is fair
Cons:
- Parking lot view is underwhelming
- had a room on the third story, which is inconvenient for snowboarding trips
- Bathroom isn't nice enough to qualify as 'resort' level

I would happily stay here again as it is hard to find a pet friendly hotel in south lake that isn't $300 for a saturday night in ski season.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Doug J
California
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed in room 302 Building B (highly recommend building B - unobstructed view for us of the sand, lake and mountains). Room was clean, had a flat screen TV, gas fireplace, and balcony. It had a coffeemaker although we didn't use it. Had no problems with noise from the neighbors, room was cleaned very well while we were out. I'd definitely stay at this place again. One note, they are undergoing renovation so both pool and hot tub were out of commission during our stay. The lady at the front desk was very helpful and friendly when I called to make the reservation which actually swayed us in favor of staying here instead of the other options I had looked in to.

Room Tip: Building B gives terrific unobstructed views of the lake and is right on the beach.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Shelly S
Daly City, California
Reviewed 27 January 2014

This hotel is by far one of my best hotel experiences! We stayed here Saturday night and Sunday morning, and I had such an pleasant time.

When we came to registration, the people who helped us were extremely helpful and kind, and they really made us feel welcome. They were even kind enough to knock off about fourty dollars because we came when there was no snow and it was a little bit of an awkward time since some construction was going on and not all the services were available.

We came to our rooms, and I was pretty impressed from first sight. We had booked the Lake View Double room, and it looked just like the pictures on the website! The room was very clean and picturesque- there was a nice flat screen TV, very comfy beds with like six fluffy pillows on each, and a gas fireplace (which I loved sooo much, it made the room so cozy!) Plus, because we got the Lake View room, we had such a breathtaking sight of the lake, definitely my best hotel view ever! Make sure you get a building in Building C for Lake View (which is only slightly partially obstructed by trees- still an amazing view) or Building D for beachfront (right there smack on the beach, beautiful, unobstructed view of the lake and beach and beyond). They were very generous with towels, they even gave us two warm blankets! Complimentary face soap, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel- they were in these dispenser bottles that were stylishly attaced to the wall so you can use as much as you need and the hotel doesn't waste anything! Pretty smart. The room had two cozy beds, I think two dressers/night stands/counters, one table, two chairs, a toilet and shower room (no bathtub :c ) and a separate sink room. They had free coffee in our rooms and in the lobby, and there was a microwave in the lobby as well as two computers and a printer. We were in Level C on the ground floor, so our patio opened up practically right onto the beach area, other rooms had balconies.
We love love loved the pier which we walked out onto and took magnificent photos of the lake and the mountain views- i even went to the very end of the pier and threw a nickel into the lake after making a wish.
Unfortunately for us, the pool and jacuzzi were closed since it was wayyyy too cold, and the boathouse was closed as well, (I think!), but we didn't mind too much since the beach was pretty amazing, although we were a bit bummed.
The best time to visit, I would say, is in the summer or spring when it's warm and the pool is open!! Plus, I think the views are a lot more better then!
Around the hotel there's a multitude of restaurants to choose from, a Safeway right across, and also a pretty large outdoor mall with lots of name brand stores (like Northface) and also a lot of quaint little ones I never heard of before but were super cool too!
All in all, I had a wonderful time here- nice room, nice views, nice employees too! (They were soooo friendly and kind, super helpful too!) I will definitely be going back here in the warmer months, and you guys definitely should too! Perfect for people with kids or if you want a nice little relaxing getaway to find yourself- sit on the pier, soak in the views, and really think about things! Overall, I would give the Beach Retreat and Lodge at Lake Tahoe a four out of five stars! Lovely place!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank alexsoeee
Rockwall, Texas, United States
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We traveled before the summer tourist season opened, so the motel wasn't full. So glad we paid a little extra and were lucky enough to get a first floor room that opened on to the beach. The best part of the morning was sitting on our patio taking in the view, then taking a walk to the end of the pier. Good comfortable room for the price, and the fireplace kept it warm and cozy. We considered it a plus that we were across the street from nice grocery store. Would definitely stay here again. Only unfavorable thing to mention is that since it is a motel, the walls are somewhat thin; so we did experience some noise from the room next door.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple