“One disappointment after another”

Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel
Ranked #17 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Elk Grove, California
“One disappointment after another”
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

I have written the following to the hotel directly twice and did not once receive any sort of reply. This was from a stay the weekend of August 2nd and 3rd, 2013.

I wanted to share with you some of my experience at your hotel. I stayed there this past Friday and Saturday night. I called around noon on Friday to confirm my reservation, since I had originally booked through Expedia. The person I talked to said my room was ready and waiting for me. I said I'd be up later in the night and she said it wasn't a problem and they'd be waiting for me.

This trip was for my 40th birthday and was my first time taking a vacation with my girlfriend, so it meant a lot to me to have a good weekend.

Upon arriving Friday night, the person behind the desk was very nice, but said he had some bad news. He said my room wasn't available and I'd have to be moved to a lower class room or move to the same class room, but one that is handicapped accessible. I chose to keep the same class room and he said he'd help me by lowering my rate down for the inconvenience.

When getting into the room, we were pleased, but I did scrape and cut my arm on the bathroom towel hanger on the back of the door at least 4 times. I also noticed that the "room sensor" for the air conditioner was horribly placed in the hallway outside the bedroom. With the bedroom door closed, and no motion being sensed, the room quickly heated up, requiring both myself and my girlfriend to make multiple trips to activate the air conditioner throughout the night.

I also noticed that the bed was horribly uncomfortable. I originally thought that the mattress had been shifted over and didn't have any support under it. I was wrong and discovered that the side of the bed closer to the bathroom had absolutely no support at all and sagged horribly.

Saturday, after coming back from lunch, we noticed the room had not been refreshed yet. I called housekeeping and asked for it to be refreshed. They said they'd send someone right up. At that notification, we left to do some things for an hour or so. When we came back, we noticed the room was still not made up. I called two more times throughout the day, only to be lied to. As 6 or 7pm rolled around, we had run out of towels. I called just asking for towels as we needed to shower to go to dinner. I also asked if the room could be cleaned while we were gone and they said they'd take care of it. They said they'd send towels right up. 30 minutes later, we got our towels.

When we got back from dinner, the room was still not made up. Needless to say, I was pretty upset. Between the bed being horribly uncomfortable, the air conditioner not working right, and needing to ask for more towels, I was pretty upset.

I called Sunday morning to ask for a late check-out. This is something I've never had a problem with at any other hotel. The person I talked to was rude and said they were absolutely not doing any late check-out's today.

Needless to say, I was pretty upset and headed down to the front desk to discuss my displeasure. I don't know the lady's name (blonde with no name tag), but was very helpful. She looked up in the housekeeping log and there were no history of me calling to have the room made up, nor, any record of me asking for towels (which were delivered?) After going through some paperwork, she offered me $100 off of my stay and let me stay until 1:00 for a late check-out.

While the $100 and honoring my request for a late check out was a nice gesture, and I finally appreciated someone from my stay, I was still displeased with my overall experience, to say the least.

I have never stayed at this hotel before and was EXTREMELY happy with the location. I'd like to be able to stay there again, but there seemed to be way too many problems for a simple two night stay.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank briguy73

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Business trip with my wife and we were both pleased with the accommodations. It wasn't perfect but, the service was great, free breakfast buffet and happy hour were similar to other Embassy Suites I have stayed at. We were comfortable with the extra space provided and it is at the center of the Heavenly Resort Area. The hotel was clean and you can see that they are making strides to upgrade and maintain the place. Our room had an overlook of Lake Tahoe which was beautiful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has been recently upgraded. 7th floor and above will allow for a great view of L...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Bergen op Zoom, The Netherlands
Reviewed 25 August 2013

The hotel recently changed the name (in the past it was an Embassy hotel of the Hilton group), so we had some extra efforts to find the hotel as our hotel voucher still mentioned the old name. The hotel is pretty big, but would need some renovation. The room was big (even with a little kitchen). The hotel offers a daily happy hour to its guest, but this is really overloaded. You also can get complimentary American breakfast. The location of the hotel is good, Lake Tahoe is just some minutes walk from the hotel and in the area of the hotel there are lots of restaurants and shops.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Vallejo, California
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We had booked this hotel this weekend. Due to a death in the family we had to cancel our reservation. Because it was the night before our stay, there was a 1 night fee that was attached to the cancellation. I called and spoke with the front desk and they graciously waived the fee. We will definitely be booking here again and are ecstatic with the customer service.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We stayed there over the weekend. Location is really good. Free breakfast is wonderful - with scrambled eggs, bacon, pancake and fresh food, and lots of tables.

But the rooms are really outdated, and carpet is old and smelly. The bed sheets are also old.

Valet parking only, for $25/night, but that you can get around by parking in the Harrah's literally next door.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jessica C
Redding, California
Reviewed 23 August 2013

The hotel was formerly an Embassy Suites and I had not stayed here for a couple of years. The first mistake I made was attempting to make my reservation on what I thought was their website. This website appears to be the Embassy Suites website, however it is actually ReservationCounter.com. and this website is actually Expedia. When you make a reservation through this company it does not allow you to cancel unless you are three days before your reservation. The hotel can't help you and will tell you that you made the reservation through Expedia and their is nothing they can do for you. This hotel has dropped from the Embassy Suites chain and is now Lake Tahoe Resort Hotel of Heavenly. The other thing you will find out upon arrival is that it costs $25. per day to park your car at this hotel. You won't find anything on ReservationCounter.com about this. They do you give you option of parking in some remote parking area without a fee or so they said. I noted that the free breakfast has been downgraded from a fresh cooked breakfast to kitchen staff gingerly dishing out old scrambled eggs and little prefabbed sausages. I gave thought of going for their free cocktail in the evening, however upon looking a line of 30 or more people waiting for a drink, I thought better of it and went next door to Harrahs. The rooms appear to becoming dated with no real maintainenance. The carpet was old, the bathroom was is dire needed of recaulking around the bath tub. The toliet barely functioned. When the neighboring room used the shower or toliet it is loud enough that you have to turn up the television in your room. This will be the last time I stay at this hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rkickin
wilmington,nc
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Use to be an Embassy suite so same layout, lobby is nice with plants and koi pond. Good location to walk to gambling, restaurants, spas and gondola up the mountain. Mix review of rooms, my first stay the room on 6th floor was a bit worn and sheets worn out. Second stay was 9th floor and room was fresh and linens fine. They have a really nice reception each night with free beer, wine or house well drinks and popcorn and pretzels. Breakfast each morning is full american and good. Gym is small but adequate with dumbells and 4 cardio machines. Pool area adjacent to gym on 2nd floor I would avoid this floor for a room since lots of traffic.

Room Tip: Definetly ask for 9th floor
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business