“Good Value, friendly staff”
Review of Hotel Azure

Hotel Azure
Ranked #13 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We have stayed at a dozen different hotels in both North and South Lake Tahoe, and I would book this one again.
Located across from the lake some rooms have views (not ours but what-ever) and close to the California entrance to Heavenly Ski resort. This hotel is not near the casino, and I like that.
Room had a fridge, microwave, coffee balcony and most importantly to me, robes.
We were skiing so I really wanted a hotel with a hot tub. This has 2 large tubs full of very hot water. They do not have jets, however, while at one time they did but now do now, but again, it was hot and there was space so whatever.
This hotel is next to Mac Duffs Bar, and that has some of the best food and service in Tahoe so we will be coming here again just for that.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sara L
danmchael, General Manager at Hotel Azure, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2013

Thank you for your very constructive and informative review. As I write this response we are receiving a fresh layer of snow. Glad you enjoyed our hot tub. Once the snow melts and the ground thaws in the spring we will fix a broken spa pipe and have the jets back in service. Please come back again soon.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Azure

Reviewed 5 January 2013

We spent three nights here at the end of December, departing on NYE. The staff was friendly and professional, and the room was comfortable - especially for the price, the location, and definitely compared with some of the hotels and condominiums we have rented in Tahoe. We even had a small lake view from our balcony. The property is older and could use some updates - to the slider door insulation, to the sinks, the lighting fixtures and even the artwork. A newer TV with inputs for HDMI or other video cables. The beds were comfortable and the room was a decent size for four of us with all of our holiday and ski stuff. The housekeeping staff did a great job, and the parking lot was plowed early every morning (about 6, 'cause we could hear it through the sliding door). The on-property restaurant had a great staff.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank deborahhorger

Delighted that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your constructive input . We are in the process of updating our Lake Bldg bathrooms with new granite vanities, sinks faucets, mirrors, comodes, lighting fixtures plus some other touches. We are currently about a third of the way through and await delivery of the granite so we may complete this project. I'll post a photo upon completion. We are gradually upgrading to flat screen LED TVs and hope to speed up this project in the spring. Thanks again for sharing.

Reviewed 30 December 2012

Stayed in the deluxe suite for 3 nights. Checkin was a breeze, room was clean and perfect size for our family. Perfect location - close to restuarants, safeway and Heavenly for skiing. Pool and hot tub were perfect. We were in 3rd floor with amazing views of the lake. Highly recommend, will definitely go back.

Heating system was a bit arcane - had to manually turn on/off, climate control didn't work.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Thanks for your great comments about the Inn and our neighborhood. We are one of the few properties in town with interior corridors, central heating & AC plus great insulation. Typically these factors add up to a high level of comfort. You are right though as the heat will shut down at the temp setting but not the fan. I will renew my efforts to find a new thermostat that can address both issues. Delighted that you enjoyed staying in one of our deluxe suites! We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 19 November 2012

I arrived after the first freak snowstorm of the season and the hotel was nearly empty (the town was nearly empty too). The local temperature had dropped from the 60s to the 20s almost overnight. The desk clerk, whose name was Rosie, couldn't have been more gracious and welcoming, and upgraded me to a lake-facing room. The visit would have been ideal except for the very noisy and not very efficient heating system which worked erratically. It took about 12 hours for the room to reach a serviceable temperature. My sense was their heating units (or maybe just that one) are probably long overdue for replacement; at another time of year, it might have been just fine.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
danmchael, General Manager at Hotel Azure, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2012

Please excuse my delay in responding to your constructive comments. We would like to extend our sincere apologies for the fan coil unit in your unit not working properly. We are one of the few tahoe properties with interior corridors and central heating.air conditioning. We should of detected the problem with the unit in your room which allows you to set the tempature to your particular preferences. We owe you a more successful upgrade. Please let me know the next time you plan to visit the Lake so that I may make amends.
Happy Holiday,

Reviewed 23 October 2012

I was in town for a geocaching event and since many of the festivities were being held at this hotel I decided to make it easy on myself and stay there. Bad plan. Upon check in they told me I was in a standard room with no view. When I booked, I had booked a room with a view. They only had suites left with a view (go figure) I went ahead and upgraded. The view of the lake was lovely. However, in order to have that view, the room (or at least, my room) was situated directly above the pool. All evening you could hear people in the pool/spa area until 11 or midnight. The room itself was large but unimpressive for the price. I was there in June and the A/C in the room did not work. With the noise from the pool area I could either try sleeping in a muggy/warm room or try to cool the place down and have noise drifting up from down stairs. I won't be staying here again. Not worth it for the price.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank travelingbl0nde
danmchael, General Manager at Hotel Azure, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Please accept our sincere apologies for any problems with the air conditioning in your lake view suite. Glad you enjoyed the view. We last hosted the geocaching event in June of 2011 so I wish you would of contacted us with your concerns sooner. I just returned from vacation where we stayed at multiple hotels. At several we experienced minor shortcomings which were corrected promptly when I called the front desk. We work hard to avoid problems but appreciate the opportunity to respond and correct shortcomings promptly.

Reviewed 11 October 2012

We had a lovely upper room overlooking the lake. Our champagne was ready for us on arrival in our room and we sat and drank it on our balcony and enjoyed the view.
The room was a good size and the beds were comfortable.
There are plenty of eateries nearby and a lovely breakfast cafe right on site with more great views of the lake.
I have no complaints, I would stay here again and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your very detailed description of your experience at Inn by the Lake. This is as it should be and we appreciate your post.

Reviewed 26 September 2012

My husband and I, and many of our wedding guests, stayed at Inn by the Lake on the occasion of our wedding in August 2012. (The wedding itself was held elsewhere.) We had a mostly positive experience, but with one very big negative that turns what would have been a 3.5/4 into a 2/2.5.

Upon check-in we were greeted by a very nice clerk who knew that we were one of the two bride+groom couples staying there that weekend; there was even a thoughtful sign behind the desk welcoming us as "Mr. and Mrs." [our name]. We stayed in a top-floor lakeview suite, which had dated decor (especially the bathroom) but tons of space, walls of windows, and a full, updated kitchen. It had a great lake view, though I heard from a friend who had a lower-level lakeview room that hers was parking-lot view. Our bathroom had a huge tub with a mirrored wall, which must have been glorious in the 80s, but at this point the tub's "jets" were vestigial and the mirrored wall was just creepy. Our bedroom was comfortable and quiet, and nicely separated from the suite's living area. We didn't get a chance to use the pool or multi-level whirlpool, but they looked clean and fun from the vantage point of our balcony, which overlooked the pool/whirlpool area.

The one thing about IBTL that forces me to write a more-negative-than-positive review is something that happened to our wedding guests. Before I entered into a contract with this place to have our guests stay there, the hotel assured me--in writing--that there would not be a 2-night minimum stay. (I knew that some of our guests would only be coming for one night, so a 2-night minimum was a deal-breaker.) However, I found out about a week before the wedding that the hotel did in fact have a 2-night minimum, and that they had been turning away our guests who wanted to stay for only one night.

I called the hotel, spoke to someone who was very sympathetic but didn't have the authority to waive the 2-night minimum policy, and so I left a message for the person who had originally told me that there was no 2-night minimum. He NEVER RETURNED MY CALL. The hotel never offered to make it up to us in any way. We'll never know how many guests were turned away and had to find accommodations elsewhere. I feel like they tricked us into recommending their hotel to all our friends and family. The worst part is that the victims of the trick weren't my husband and I, but our friends.

Bottom line: If you don't mind dated decor and are willing to risk a tangle with bad management, this place does have some spacious rooms (depending on where you are in the hotel) and a certain 80s-fabulous charm.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Poker_Traveler
danmchael, General Manager at Hotel Azure, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2012

Thank you for sharing your perspective on Inn by the Lake and bring your experience to mine and other attention. Please accept our sincere apologies for the apparent confusion concerning the terms under which your room block was established. As you noted, we frequently handle multiple wedding parties each weekend especially during our busy summer season. Weddings are joyous occasions and we feel bad that your lodging experience left you with mixed feelings.

A note to others planning weddings. Unlike many resort properties, we do not require advance payment or for that matter any form of guarantee when we set up a wedding block under the terms outlined in our one page Group Resume. When guests establish their respective reservations a one nights deposit is collected. As specified on our resume, ALL WEEKENDS REQUIRE A 2- NIGHT MINIMUM STAY. During certain periods of the year this is negotiable. Again as stated under, Group Block Drop Date, rooms not reserved at least 30 days prior to the arrival date, are released back for general sale.