“Disappointing”

Ranked #15 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed in the pool building in a two bedroom suite. Very dated but clean and serviceable. Don't be fooled - the lake view is almost nonexistent. If you really want to see the lake stay in the building closer to the lake. My kids loved the room because it was so large. However, the pull out couch mattress was so uncomfortable my daughter couldn't sleep on it. It was also stained (ugh!). The rooms are pretty dark which always bothers me. Why can't they have more lights? The room also smelled like old soy sauce (which was weird) - someone must have cooked Asian food in the kitchen before we arrived. We only stayed one night and I was thankful for that.

Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Modesto
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I am writing this in room 340 of this hotel. We booked a suite for one week to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary. We asked for a really nice room with a lake view. We were told we reserved the "best room in the hotel."

Our room is in the Pool Building and our balcony faces the pool and hot tub. We arrived Monday & today is Thursday. Upon arrival, we discovered two fans in our room. It was in the mid 80's and very humid. Hotel lobby and elevator and our room were uncomfortably warm. We turned the AC on and learned it did not work at all, so we understood the reason for the two presence of the two fans in our room!

Our room rate is $340 per night plus 10% taxes and a $3/night room fee. We have to leave the windows and sliding door open due to the heat. On Monday, I called the office and was told the AC should be repaired by Wednesday. Today is Thursday and we saw about 15 box fans in the lobby near the elevator this morning. I learned the AC for the entire Pool Building must be replaced, and that it could take up to two months for the AC to be replaced.

My husband is an engineer and was in charge of engineering for the third largest winery in the US for almost 30 years. He was skeptical earlier the week that the AC would be repaired by Wednesday. He said the only limiting factor in replacing the AC is funding. You get the idea that the poor economy is limiting improvements
in this hotel. We sincerely hope the improving economy will help with needed improvements at this hotel as well.

Our room is very nice, about 900 square feet. The bathroom appears to have been remodeled. There are two separate sinks, one in the toilet area, which can be closed off with a door, and another outside the toilet area. There is also a wall mirror outside the second sink that we continually almost ran into!!! And the shower is a roomy (but hard to get into as I am 68and not tall) Jacuzzi tub/shower combo with a completely mirrored wall inside the shower. It is enclosed with Carrera marble. There is also----and we have never his in any hotel room during our 50-yr marriage----a completely non-functional Weight Watcher's scale!! I stepped on it and it said ERR. My husband is skinny and he stepped on it and it said ERR. What is the purpose of this being in the room? ERR!!!!

When we arrived, we found a wonderful kitchen with full-sized stove, refrigerator (with icemaker), microwave oven,and a dishwasher. Room has lovely dishes with a beach motif, wineglasses, toaster, and about anything else you could ever need in a kitchen. The only downside to the kitchen is a full-sized coffee pot that turns off after the coffee is made, so the coffee gets cold.

Our king bed is comfortable and covered with a sheets & a heavy comforter. The pillows are exceptionally good. We have slept on top of the sheets each night ---due to the heat---after removing the comforter first. Windows & sliding door must be left open at night and the pool and hot tub area are open until 11:00 pm, and this is a noisy, noisy room to be in.

After a day without a lake view, we decided to completely re-arrange the furniture so that the sofa faced the lake. We have 3 large windows with a lake view, but the sofa was facing the kitchen. We learned the coffee table top raises up to dining table height and we now have a spectacular lake view when we sit on the sofa.

There's a nice room with tables in the hotel that would work well for a breakfast room, but no breakfast of any kind is provided. Even some cold morning muffins would be wonderful. This is a major drawback of this hotel. For $340, you should at least get a muffin. We have a GE stove and microwave, just nothing to warm up in them without going to Safeway.

This hotel is older (built in 1982) and has the same stuccostone exterior we have on our house, built in 1977. This hotel has most likely not been completely remodeled for the same reason that our home has not been completely renovated: -it is extremely expensive to do so!

We have a dining table that seats 4 and another table that seats 2 in addition to our coffee table that can be used to eat on. There is also a bar that seats 3 in the kitchen area. We had not planned on eating in our hotel due to it being our 50th anniversary---we wanted to splurge the entire week.

There is wonderful parking everywhere at the hotel. We have a new car & were careful to NOT park under the ubiquitous pine trees----large falling pinecones
could damage the roof of any car.

This hotel is not luxurious, just homey and comfortable. Truthfully, I had not read any of the reviews before reserving our room. Had I read them first, I would most likely not have reserved a room at this hotel. I did not begin searching until July 1st, and after reading all the reviews, I kept looking, but it was too late to get anything that looked nicer.

We wanted to stay at Cal-Neva in North Lake Tahoe but it has been closed for some time, undergoing renovation. We will probably not stay at this hotel again
but that's because we prefer North lake Tahoe. If we wanted to stay in South Lake Tahoe, we would not hesitate to stay here again, provided the AC is working. As I write this, it is 7/31/14. It will be interesting to see when (and IF) the AC in the Pool Building is replaced any time soon.

The color scheme in our room is weird: the carpet is green and some of the walls are a rusty reddish color. Some of the walls are beige and some are brown. A lighter color of paint with some uniformity throughout improve the appearance of our room. The hotel is dark and somewhat depressing.

I called regarding the AC this afternoon and was told our rate would be reduced 20% because of the AC problem. This would be $68/day. Then I was told our rate would be reduced to $300 a day due to the AC problem. The 20% discount would be to our advantage. I think they are trying to pacify us with a reduced rate, which
is Good Customer relations. We think they try really hard to please, and you cannot say that about a lot of hotels we've stayed at in the past.

I will submit another review with photos at the end of our stay.

Katarina 1946

Room Tip: Do NOT choose the Pool Building if you want peace and quiet. The building directly across the road...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Katarina46
Dan M, General Manager at Hotel Azure, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Please allow me to begin by adding my apologies to those already extended by our staff for the lack of A/C in your suite. I would also be remiss if I did not thank you for submitting the most comprehensive review of one of our deluxe suites. We are one of the few properties in South Lake Tahoe that offers central air conditioning and I feel that I owe you an explanation of what happened. First of all you should of been told at check in that our A?C was not working in our pool building. We are very sorry that you were not. Your husband may appreciate this, but most of our mechanical systems are redundant to include the roof top chillers which power our A/C systems. The pool building unit went down late Friday afternoon. We brought in an HVAC technician that night and he was unsuccessful in his efforts to get it back online. Our regular technician came onsite from Reno on Saturday morning and determined that a card in the computerized controls had been disabled by a City wide power outage earlier in the week. The card was ordered from the Memphis based manufactures on Monday and arrived on Tuesday. We then determined that it was more than this single card which had been damaged and that the computerized controls were beyond repair. The decision was made to order a new 50 ton chiller. Yes, they are expensive (around $70,000), must be custom configured and take 6 to 8 weeks for delivery. Thus, the search began for a rental chiller which was located in LA and trucked up to Tahoe arriving this past Friday afternoon. Close coordination between the delivery semi-truck, a very large crane, our HVAC technician and electrician resulted in our being able to have the unit up and cooling by 8:00 pm that evening. While your husband may appreciate this summary, I am sure that I am boring other readers. However, I feel very bad that your anniversary stay was marred, wanted to share that things happen and we feel that it is how you react to problems that separate you from others. Again, we apologize and would welcome an opportunity to make further amends the next time your travels bring you to Lake Tahoe.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 30 July 2014

The hotel is located in a quiet part of the city with the smell of pine trees all around. The pool and doubled tiered jacuzzi were fantastic and you were allowed to use up until 11pm which is very unusual for hotels to permit. The hotel room was big with two comfortable queen beds and a small table for two and had all of the usual amenities plus a small refrigerator and microwave. It had a lake view but that was a disappointment because of the traffic passing all day. In the evening it quieted down though. We were not advised of the bicycles that were available and would have taken advantage of that had we known. All in all it was a comfortable stay but would prefer a beach stay next time.

1 Thank LadyDaga
Dan M, General Manager at Hotel Azure, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for your very nice comments and detailed review. The lake view double queens in the lake building have a wonderful view of the lake and Sierra Nevada mountains but as you pointed out there is more traffic during the day. The pool building is set back on the property with the lake view Suites and King Great Rooms commanding very nice views. Our regular repeat guests all have their unit preferences. Thank you again for sharing.
Sonoma County, California
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed four nights here in a king-bed room with lake view.
We had a pleasant stay.

I've read some of the negative reviews on yelp, and I will say that with one exception, I didn't find any of the bad things listed.

Room was clean and always cool (in July). We didn't turn on the AC at all. We did slide the door to the balcony open a bit at night for some fresh air. Small but nice balcony with two chairs.

The room was well-appointed. Nice bed, table, chairs, small sofa. Microwave and mini-fridge and a sink (besides the two bathroom sinks). Flat screen TV (which worked fine, though we only watched it once).
Bathroom was clean. There's a shower/tub + toilet + sink in one room. There's a second sink outside the bathroom so one person can shower while another can brush teeth, etc.
Hair dryer, iron, and ironing board were in the room.
Also a coffee maker.

I liked the fact that we weren't right downtown. And, no, you're not really "on the lake." You do have to cross the street. But there is a traffic signal right on the corner.
There are three restaurants very close by as well as a great ice cream place. Safeway is a block away. And a public park on the lake is a block away as well.

Loved the two-tiered spa. Nice pool as well.

We saw lots of people with dogs, but didn't hear any barking.

Front desk staff was always pleasant and helpful.

The major downside is that the walls are thin. We could hear the folks in the next room talking. They weren't yelling or screaming, just talking. It wasn't a big deal since they didn't stay up late or get up really early, and we were out of the room most of the time anyway (as I assume they were too). But I was thinking, "What if we had late-night party people or loud drunks next door?" That, I'm sure would have been a problem.

I thought the price was okay. It was less expensive than what we paid for lesser accommodations on other vacations. So, I was okay with the price point.

Pleasant stay. And I'd book it again should we go to Tahoe in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank George B
Dan M, General Manager at Hotel Azure, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for such a comprehensive review which I know will benefit many readers. We also appreciate your nice comments and constructive input. Our pool building was built to four star standards when it opened in 1982. This includes interior corridors, fully sprinklered & alarmed, central HVAC system and insulation within all the walls. This was prior to the use of cell phones and some like me speak to loud when using same. While we do not receive many noise comments, louder than normal voices or TVs as you pointed out can be heard. We also maintain a no party policy on our guest room floors. Our Event Center is separated from our hotel wings for activities of this nature. Thank you again for sharing.
San Carlos, California
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We just came back from Tahoe and we stayed for two nights at the Inn by the Lake. We checked in and that process was fairly seamless. We had a room on the backside of the property which we knew would not have a view but the room was clean and the balcony was really nice to sit out on and check out the active Thunder and Lightning! We really enjoyed the pool and jacuzzi. The Inn is in a great location if you don't want to be near the casinos. We were directly across the street from the lake and El Dorado beach where we paddleboarded. Also we thoroughly enjoyed MacDuff's Pub that is within walking distance of the hotel. Great food and drink selection! We dined there twice!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
danmchael, General Manager at Hotel Azure, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you for your kind comments regarding our facilities and location. Glad you enjoyed the light show!
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed on the 3rd floor with a view of the lake. Great view but traffic goes by all day long so it isn't peaceful like I would've liked. We had a mini fridge, microwave and coffee pot in the room. Desk help is very nice. They have bikes for your use and we enjoyed that. They also have a nice game room stocked with books, puzzles and a few games along with air hockey and foosball. My daughter worked a puzzle one evening after riding bikes. There is a pool and hot tub. There is a bowling alley close by and I saw some people using the grill and picnic table. My favorite thing was close proximity to the beach. Just walk across the street! The shower is good too-an older shower head with lots of water and good pressure.
Lots of pretty flowers and nicely maintained yard. I'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floor has better view of lake.
1 Thank Nancy H
Loved the title of your review. My wife said something similar to me on my last birthday. Seriously, your detailed comments will no doubt be very helpful to our readers. Thank you!
Fremont, California
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The Lake view from our room was wonderful. For a more direct experience, just walk across the street at the light, go down some stairs and you are on one of the lakes sandy beach edges.The busy street did not bother us at all. The motel pool and hot tub are fantastic after a day of riding bikes through the forest (motel bikes are provided for free). We used the bikes often, but It is only a short walk to delicious diners or Safeway for supplies. A bowling alley is directly behind the motel and so is a picnic area that is set up for BBQs, horseshoes or volleyball. The beds are comfortable. Good location and nice people.

1 Thank noted2014
Your kind and complete comments clearly show that Inn by the Lake offers more than a room and a parking space. Thank you for sharing.