Aston Lakeland Village Beach & Mountain Resort
Ranked #21 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Los Angeles, California
“Meh ...”
Reviewed 24 April 2011

Stayed here for two nights in October at the start of a cross-country trip. I was coming from a grueling move out of my apartment in San Francisco and was hoping to find a place that was wonderful and luxurious where I could relax in a hot bath. This place is sprawling and we stayed in the main lodge, so our room was decent but no bathtub. :( We spent some time in the hot tub, which has a great view out onto the lake and the bigger condos on the lake definitely seem the way to go. The room was big with a kitchen, but not really a place I'd want to cook or anything, slightly run-down in that 70s Tahoe way. The best part of our trip was seeming the salmon spawn ...

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Overview:
This was my 2nd stay at this resort. The first time we stayed was about 2 years ago when we traveled with 2 other family members. Last time we stayed in a one bedroom loft which was nice in terms of size and amenities but the cleanness was bad. This time we stayed in a studio. That was exactly the opposite of it. The cleanness was okay - not perfect but much better than last time. But the room itself needs an update.

Room: (Deluxe Studio #115) The bed was good that was at least the one thing which didnt make the room totally bad. Furtniture has a plushy look from the 70th. The room had 2 refridgerators but no cabinet for the silverware. Silverware were all thrown in one box which was in the upper cabinet. The box was sticky. Ugly. The stove was unbelievable. I dont know how you are suppose to cook with these spiral plates. It was totally uneven. The covers didnt fit for the spirals. We stayed here only for two nights so it wasnt a problem but I am just wondering if they advise you about that when you plan to cook for yourself. Absolutely unusable.

When we got to the room the room was ice cold. There is only one heater which blows only cold or hot air, anyway it was turned off. No thermostat when you turn it off it is off and the heat is gone 5 min later. There is a gas fireplace which was also turned off to 50 degree (lowest possible temp). It was 15 degree Fahrenheit outside and I swear inside probably only 40.

As I mentioned the bed was very comforty but the fireplace works also like a blower so if you leave the fireplace on at night you surely will wake up because of the fan. If not you wake up from the two fridges which turn on and off alternating.

The second night we left the fireplace off so we can sleep but in the room above us someone checked in. We believe that they room above had hardwood floor with no insulation. You hear every step from the room above VERY loud. You can hear if someone is sweeping in the room above. I have stayed in a lot hotels before but this was unbelievable loud.

Resort amenities: The resort offeres in the winter continental breakfast for free. It was okay. Quality of the food was good. We didnt expected much so we were very surprised that it was good. They offer juice, coffee, tea, choice of toast, bagels, english muffins, cerals and some fruit. Unfortunately we had only one day breakfast because the next day it was so crowded. We didnt want to wait.

They offer free shuttle to the ski lifts or even to other places. That service was great for us and it works well. You call for it and they come within minutes.

Free Parking (covered), Heated Pool and Hot Tub, Internet $9.99/day

Location: The location is nice because it's right at the lake. There are some restaurants and shops nearby but for the village, the lifts or other attractions you will need a car or the shuttle.

Bottom Line: This was my 2nd stay and again we expected more than we got. We received a discount for returning guests and paid only $105/night incl. taxes and resort fees. That was the only thing why I didnt complain at the check out. For the price I paid it was okay but the regular price in the season would have been between $159 and $259 plus taxes and resort fee and that would have been way too much and overpriced.

Does this help you? It depents what you expect and what kind of traveller you are. If you get a good deal and your expectations aren't that high - You might be satisfied. For me this resort needs improvement. I will not return before they have renovated and updated their rooms. I would be willing to pay a bit more for a nicer room.

Room Tip: If the Lodge - stay in the 3rd floor!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
JerryBindel, General Manager at Aston Lakeland Village Beach & Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 25 April 2011
Dear TripAdvisor Member,
Thank you for staying with us again, and for your detailed review of your recent stay. I appreciate your feedback and we will be looking into some of the items you mentioned with the unit, including the need for the second refrigerator and the stove burners. Good news on our WIFI services; we have heard our guests' requests and are as of June 1st going to offer WIFI included with future stays, similar to our shuttle services, continental breakfast and other amenities! We hope you will return to stay with us again, and appreciate your business. Please email me personally if I can be of any assistance to you in the future, at jerry.bindel@astonhotels.com. Thank you again.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 11 April 2011

My mom, my aunt and my cousin stayed in Rm 106. The suite was nice and shuttle bus was convenient. However, my cousin and myself slept in the living room and for some reason, my cousin woke me up and told me there is a ghost that woke her up and was pacing the room. We were both scared so, we went to sleep in the moms room and told her there was a ghost in the living room. Then 10 minutes later the TV shot off then back on again. I was so scared. The following day, My mom told us that she too has experience this ghost , the night before she did not alarm us of what she has encounter, because she did not want to scare us. The ghost was touching my moms feet and put his face real close to her face. That scared me even more.... We did not say anything in the front desk because they might think we are crazy.... We were not imaging this it was sureal.....

Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank labrador13
JerryBindel, General Manager at Aston Lakeland Village Beach & Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 12 April 2011
I would like to thank this Tripadvisor member for their feedback, and I am glad to hear you enjoyed your unit and overall stay at our resort. Though we have not heard of any ghost sightings from our guests in the past, in this unit or any of our units and townhomes, please have my assurance that we will be certainly note your feedback. Please do not hesitate to contact me at jerry.bindel@astonhotels.com, if I can be of any assistance to you in the future. Thank you again.
Bay Area
Reviewed 28 February 2011

We got what they rated as a B+ unit. We rented the Pinegrove 4 bedroom/3 bathroom townhouse with loft. Just there this past weekend for 2 nights. First floor: master bedroom/master bath; bedroom with queen; bedroom with 2 fulls; separate bath. Second floor: kitchen; dining area; living area; bedroom with queen; bath. Third floor: loft with 2 fulls.

Pros: Great Location. Near Safeway and CVS. Complementary breakfast that's more than just danishes. They had cereal, bagels, waffles, granola and yogurt. Complementary shuttle anywhere you want to go. Spacious bedrooms. Kitchen had all the dishes, utensils, and pots/pans that you need. Wifi is free in the reception area.

Cons: (1) The first night, the roof of one of the bedrooms on the first floor started leaking over the bedroom with 2 fulls, right over one of the beds. We called to let reception know but they couldn't do anything but give us towels to soak up the leak since it was so late at night. The next morning, it started leaking on the second bed in the same room. The second night there, it started leaking over both beds. (2) The coffee carafe was broken. (3) The garbage disposal wasn't working. (4) Kitchen was small. (5) Living area was small. (6) We had to tell one of the girls at the reception desk to call for a shuttle because she asked us 3 times if we needed a shuttle. I don't know how clearer you can be when you ask "Can we get a shuttle?" (7) Wifi in the unit is not free. It's a $10 per day PER UNIT charge.

I'm guessing we just got stuck with an older unit. Probably wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
JerryBindel, General Manager at Aston Lakeland Village Beach & Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 2 March 2011
I would like to thank this Tripadvisor member for their feedback and apologize for the situation with the roof. I am glad however that you enjoyed our services, breakfast and spacious units. The roof situation was due to the tremendous amount of snow we received over the past week, many Tahoe buildings experienced a freezeback situation for a short period of time where snow/ice from roofs "freezeback" up the roof line. We have remedied the challenge in our units and I hope this member chooses to stay with us again. Please contact me at jerry.bindel@astonhotels.com if you would like to stay wtih us again in the future, and I will make sure we take great care of you. My apologies again. Thank you.
Chico, California
Reviewed 21 February 2011

My experience at Lakeland Village was not a pleasant one. To begin, I had to walk a couple blocks in the snow with my bags to get to the room only to find that my room was not clean upon arrival. No one had tended to the room since the departure of the previous tenant. I tryed to call the front desk to make them aware of the mistake but no one answered the phone. After 10-15 rings I walked back to the office, another 100 yds through the snow, and talked to the desk personel. They moved me to another room but did not offer anything for the inconvienences. Furthermore they did not help us re-locate. There is no bell hop. The beds are super stiff. You might as well be sleeping on wood. The tv's are about 13" and are most certainly not HD. THERE IS NO FREE WI-FI in the rooms either. The best western in Greenville, SC has free wi-fi. You can stay there for around 70/night. The only cool thing about this place is the shuttle to and from your destination of choice.

Quality of Resort --> 2.5-5
customer service--> 2-5
overall--> you would be better off some where else.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank kcolpack
JerryBindel, General Manager at Aston Lakeland Village Beach & Mountain Resort, responded to this review, 21 February 2011
Dear TripAdvisor Member,
Please accept my sincere apology for the mishap you experienced at check-in. Though this type of situation rarely occurs, we apologize for the inconvenience it caused you upon your arrival. Due to the late hour of your arrival, we unfortunately did not have our bell services available. I encourage this Tripadvisor member to contact me directly at jerry.bindel@astonhotels.com if I can assist you in any way or further discuss this situation with you.
Jerry Bindel
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed 18 January 2011

We stayed wit our 3 kids in a 1 bedroom 3 story townhouse. It was big enough for 5 of us.
Kids loved the spiral ladder to the 3rd floor.
Nice townhouse, very clean, good furniture and bedding.
Exellent location, right on the lake Tahoe beach, and a very short drive to the Heavenly ski resort.
The only thing we didn`t like - the breakfast. The food was too boring,wish they had more choices. The breakfast room is too small, we could never find a place to seat. So, finally we decided to skip a free breakfast and to eat our own food.

Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 13 January 2011

We would definitely stay here again. Picking a place to stay is not the easiest task for me because cleanliness is my number one! In S. Lake Tahoe their are a lot of dingy motels in my opinion and I felt comfortable, safe, and clean in this room! We stayed in the King Deluxe Suite. FULL kitchen which I thought was awesome even though we didn't take full advantage. Our room was also a condo for purchase so it was privately owned and I think thats what made it so clean and well stocked. Very cute place to stay, lots of great amenities and friendly staff! The location was not terrible but not close to the casino so that was the only downfall.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple