“Would recommend to families”

Aston Lakeland Village Beach & Mountain Resort
Ranked #19 of 65 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Spacious units, well kept grounds, pools very clean, appreciated the free wi-fi. The kitchen was really well fitted and alot of thought went into it. Really quite and really on the lake. A trip to Emerald Bay - a must!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 August 2012

Began coming to Lakeland Village for annual family reunions several years ago. Location is ideal- can walk to private beach,dock,lake. While managed by a "resort company" the units are privately owned and some have not been remodeled or upgraded for a while, so the amenities vary,don't expect air conditioning. The lodge is close to the Blvd and can be noisy, but the townhomes closer to the water are quieter and serene. Perfect place to root and enjoy the lake and relax. Stateline casinos are a mere mile away,walkable,but there is a shuttle to take you as well. Recreation abounds in the area-hiking,biking,boating- We love this place!

Room Tip: Ask if unit has air conditioning if you can not sleep w windows and fans in summer. Ask for unit awa...
1  Thank Deborah G
Reviewed 21 August 2012

This is our second experience with Lakeland, and the positives outweigh any negatives - we would like to come back but would know more what to ask for next time.
Big drawback on a HOT summer weekend was no AC in our unit! (2 bedroom w/ loft, 3 level condo). Had we known there wasn't AC we would've requested another unit. It was over 90 degrees all weekend!
Also, our laundry room was locked (don't we pay rent for the whole unit & facilities?!)
We reported a bathroom fan not working, porch light outage, couple other issues....but the lady at the desk didn't seem concerned.
Had almost identical units one year apart - advantages to each but have to say last year was better overall.
Also experienced impeccable customer service & facility use & overall great experience last year, this year I'd take it down "a notch".

The other horrible thing was a wedding on each Sat & Sun, and parking was HORRENDOUS, but the management did nothing to mitigate the problem - - so MANY unpermitted cars parked in RESIDENT and RENTER's spaces. The wedding guests & attendees should have been made to park elsewhere or carpool. In a very small lot near our unit, with nowhere else for us to go, I counted 10 cars without permits (out of only 20-25 spaces!) but the front desk wouldn't do anything about it.

Shuttle service is a perk, but I don't like how there's a blatant "Tip Jar" by the driver - - if this is truly a complimentary service & perk of staying there, then Lakeland should bump up the driver's pay, or give them "per pickup" incentives or such.

Also, in our short stay we were bothered 4 times (each time UNannounced) for a worker knocking on the door wanting to "look at" or "fix" the internet router. No one could explain why the same way twice, and we never did hear the purpose. It was not convenient to have unannounced visits & requests for repair when we're on vacation trying to relax. Why couldn't that work be scheduled during the FIVE HOUR window between guests? (checkout 11am, checkin 4pm). They were polite when we declined, but too persistent & didn't try to schedule when convenient for the guest.

Lastly, on our departure morning, I called the desk & asked to Please have an xtra 30 min or an hour (for 11:30am or 12pm departure, as opposed to 11am). Our son got sick overnight and it was difficult to get going - we just needed a little xtra time and he needed the rest.
I was told "no", because they need the time before the next guest.
Really? They couldn't take 4 or 4.5 hours to clean the unit instead of 5?? I can clean my whole house in 4 hours. I thought we should have been given the xtra consideration of an xtra 30-60 minutes.

For the most part, it's a pleasant place, with nice accomodations & convenient locale near nice restaurants, and convenient shuttle service.
I think we just may have hit them on an "off" weekend this year.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Just returned from a family vacation with 2 couples and a single - all 60 ish. Rented a 4 bedroom unit right on the lake separated only by sand. Wonderful views in every direction. Problems: Unit had no air so windows were open at night - some folks decided to party hardy till very late. Not conducive to sleeping for us or families with young children. Our unit's furniture and carpets had seen better days and the daily cleaning took place at varying hours of the day. This is not a luxury resort, but it is great for families with children who love the water and teens who love to party. But what a view!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2012

This is the second time that my husband and I stayed at the resort. It is in a great location. The lake is beautiful. I would suggest that you as ask for an updated room. I did both times that we went. They have a shuttle that takes you to shops and the casinos. If you stay in the lodge and street noise bothers you, make sure that you request a room that does not back to the street.

Room Tip: Request a room away form the street. The property is older so request an updated room.
Thank P.C.H.B.
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Several members of my family and I stayed at Lakeland Village recently (July 26-30). I've got to be up front about the fact that my husband and I are in our mid 50s and typically this is not the kind of place we prefer to vacation (huge resort, high season, tons of kids and families, super crowded), but my other family members have tons of kids and wanted to have our family reunion at Lakeland Village. Although we had several issues during our stay, Michael, the supervisor at the front desk was helpful and professional. He was genuinely concerned about the satisfaction of his guests and the reputation of Lakeland Village. I saw him handle lots of problems with several guests over the weekend and he always remained calm, positive and concerned. Most of the other staff were polite and friendly too.

However, the "issues" we experienced at Lakeland Village will make us think twice before returning:
• My room in the lodge (227) and my sister's townhouse room (460) were the same price. I felt cheated! My room was MUCH smaller, louder and less comfortable, by far, than my sister's room, but we both paid the same price.
• There was a tractor working outside our bedroom window on Thursday night at 12:30 a.m.! When I called the front desk they said "we have earplugs up here at the desk if you want some". I spoke to Michael the next day and he discounted our room for that one night.
• My sister's room was not ready for check-in until 5:30 p.m., even though she had made reservations almost 6 months ago AND asked for early check-in
• While on the beach, we were asked probably 10 times if we were guests of the hotel. It started to feel like we were being harassed! I believe that one reason we were asked so many times was because of a condo owner who kept calling security to check on anyone who was sitting on "his" beach. We finally told the security supervisor to leave us alone.
• Housekeeping was a no-show on Saturday. Come on! I paid over $700 of my hard-earned money to stay 3 nights at Lakeland and I can't even get a clean towel without asking? I had to call Michael again and he offered to send housekeeping right then, but since that wasn't a convenient time for us, he did send up fresh towels and slightly discounted another night's stay.
• The air conditioning situation in room 227 was an issue. It was freezing in the living room, but still hot and stuffy in the bedroom. Opening the window wasn't an option because of the road noise.
• We could also hear every single step taken by the people above us.

I would not return again to stay in the lodge portion of Lakeland, but Lakeland Village has plenty of positives going for it too. If we visited again, I would definitely try to reserve early so I could get a townhouse unit or go during the off-season. My sister's townhouse unit was great. The friendliness of the staff, the proximity to the beach, the lovely grounds and the free shuttle are the things that would draw us back to the Lakeland resort.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay in the lodge portion of the resort unless I could get a top-floor room. Also, a...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank GilroyDonna
JerryBindel, General Manager at Aston Lakeland Village Beach & Mountain Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2012

Dear GilroyDonna,
Thank you for staying with us and for your important feedback. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall, and particular the service from Michael our Guest Services Supervisor. We will definitely be looking into the items you mentioned so that we can continue to improve our guest services. Our sincere apologies for the items you mentioned that were not up to our normal high service standards. Typically our lodge studios and suite units are great for couples and smaller families, and are priced less than our larger one to five bedroom townhomes. Please email me at jerry.bindel@astonhotels.com if I can be of any assistance to you in the future, or if you would like to stay with us again in the future. Thank you again.

Reviewed 31 July 2012

By and large we enjoyed our trip to Lakeland Village although most of the units are still stuck back in the 1980's. Badly needs to be updated. My only real complaint is the free shuttle service.

On July 29th we had the shuttle take us to the Casinos for gambling and was told by "Richard" the shuttle driver that return service ended at 11:00PM so we needed to call before that time for a ride. At 10:50PM we were ready to return so we called for our pick-up and was told he would be right there. While we were waiting outside the rear door of Harrahs another group was also waiting for the same shuttle. After waiting for also most an hour I called Lakeland back to find out the status of the shuttle ride. They in turn advised that the shuttle driver had already been back looking for us and couldn't find us even though we were waiting in the exact spot we were suppose to! The shuttle driver flat out lied to the front desk and never made the return for either us or the other group. By this time the shuttle drivers were off duty and Lakeland had no way of getting us back to the property. We ended up having to take a $15.00 taxi ride back because of there poor shuttle service. The front desk's only comment was that if we didn't like it we could talk to the manager in the morning.

Although it was only $15.00, it's the point of the matter that they lied and couldn't care less about customer service.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Clint1583

Dear Clint1583,
Thank you for your important feedback on our shuttle services. My sincere apology for the mishap that occurred. This is not the normal service standards and accuracy of our shuttle services as seen by the many positive TripAdvisor comments on our shuttle program. Please have my assurance that we will be working to ensure this does not reoccur. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the rest of your stay with us though, and please do not hesitate to email me at jerry.bindel@astonhotels.com if I can be of any assistance to you in the future.