“Good Stay”

Ranked #30 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Louisville, KY
“Good Stay”
Reviewed 22 July 2009

We exchanged for a week at the resort. Having read the previous reviews, we knew to expect a very small efficiency kitchen with no dishes and the odd floor plan. The resort worked well for us. We ate most breakfasts and some lunches in the condo and dinners out. There is nothing around the resort so in the summer it is pretty quiet. We enjoyed the small pool. We found the conceirge and front desk staff helpful. There is a small business center which gives one free access to the Internet and a printer which we used alot. The valets were quick and friendly though the small valet area gets crowded at times. We would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
California
Reviewed 10 June 2009

Don't stay here. We came expecting a great stay. Upon arrivial, & seeing the location should have been our 1st clue. Rooms, terrible, had to move 3 times which cost us quite a bit extra and were still terrible. The beds...So hard, & pillows so hard..... sleep? lol. These are the regular beds, The pull - out beds...what a joke maybe if you weigh 8 pounds you won't feel all the bars and the terrible "new" matresses they "SAY"...yea right.. Want a drink? there's a bar...But it's closed so plan on having to excuse yourself from your freinds and family, to get your car and drive, find a store for wine or champange, Mixed drinks..or a healthy meal again plan on having to get your car and find a restaurant. Then you or your guests may have a drink.
The staff doesn't relate with maid service, so if...you move rooms, be carefull not to leave presonal care items or they will be thrown away. you can have breakfast in the restaraunt
they have...But any other meal.....If you like Burgers, & pizza, and all the fatteneing food, they will have a restaraunt, that has some connection with the hotel deliver inn.
If you want a great Tahoe experience, Don't stay here. The worst experience. ever I would have rather stayed at a motel 6. At least you know what your inn for.

• Stayed June 2009
3 Thank camkat4

Travellers are raving about these South Lake Tahoe hotels

USA
Reviewed 17 May 2009

As Timeshare trade resorts go, this place was ok. The valets were nice, etc. Front desk people are snotty if you question anything with them, they will not discuss. Beware of them. The rooms are ok. The shower setup wierd. Toilet feels like you are using an airplane bathroom. Pool area we couldn't use because they had big family reunion going on that took the whole thing over. People slamming doors in the hall for much of the night on Friday nite. Breakfast in restaurant was ok. The kicker was when we checked out they hit us with a high "housekeeping fee" for barely 2 days staying there (and no housekeeping service at all). And when I questioned it the front desk was unwilling to discuss she blamed it on the timeshare service. She brought out the form my husband signed at 10pm on friday night. My husband said they never mentioned it when he checked in. Beware of that hidden fee. Bottom line: many other places to stay in Tahoe, vote with your feet and pocketbook that is what we are going to do.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank skippynipper
Ogden, Utah
Reviewed 4 April 2009

We stayed at the Tahoe Seasons Resort through a condo exchange; this was by far the best exchange we have ever had. The "resort" is set up hotel-style with all the normal hotel amenities: bar, restaurant, tune-shop, concierge, etc. For condo-exchange units there was maid service twice a week. There is a restaurant on site that serves breakfast everyday (a GREAT and FAST breakfast) and dinner on weekends only. There is mandatory, free valet parking with unlimited in/out privileges.

Everyone was very friendly and helpful during our stay. The most peculiar thing was the layout. The living area and master bed is separated by a room that I can only explain as a huge bathroom. There is a hot tub in every room, with a shower in it. I was concerned about this, but the shower had great pressure and was fine. We didn't use the hot tub, but it was clean. The hot tub/shower is enclosed with wooden shutters that are borderline see-through; these shutters also border the living room and bed room. So, if you are showering, there will always be people sitting right outside your shower. Anytime we walked from the living room to the bedroom, we had to walk through there. Because of this I would NOT recommend the one bedroom units for families or multiple couples. For my boyfriend and I, it was completely fine. The desk showed us the layouts, and they all looked pretty much like this. There was a mini-fridge, sink, and micro. We used it for bagels and coffee in the morning, but that was about it. Guests will need to plan on eating out for most meals.

For us snowboarders, the location was perfect - a shot walk to the California base. The hotel was everything we wanted: a hot shower, a good location, and a tune shop. People coming in the summer - or for non-skiing purposes - might want to stay closer to town or the casinos, as those are not within walking distance.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
boca raton fl
Reviewed 20 February 2009

I stayed here for one week Feb 1-8th. Was initially prepared to be annoyed at the mandatory valet parking which ended up being convenient. The longest we had to wait to get the car was about 5 minutes. It was certainly nice to not have to defront windows and warm up the car in the snow. Check in was fast and the staff was fine. We do not require alot of "service" but staff was helpful enough. There is a ski valet right when you enter the building which is nice. Our room was a one bedroom unit. In retrospect, a larger kitchen area would have been much more convenient but we made do-was able to purchase breakfast items that could be prepared in the microwave which saved use from having to eat out every morning. No kitchen accessories provided so stock up on plastic silverware/plates from home or the grocery. The fridge is dorm sized so it was hard to fit all our food in addition to beers and so forth. We ended up having a room on the 6th floor which had sliding glass doors to a large patio and we covered the beer in the snow outside to keep it cold. A disposable cooler would be easy enough to store drinks. The fireplace is gas and was not very exciting or hot. Coming from Florida, I look forward to a rip roaring fire once in awhile and this did not happen here-no big woop. I would have preferred the fireplace to be in the living room. The furniture is clearly new and quite nice. The bed was way too soft for me so I slept some nights on the pull out couch which was quite comfortable. There was a dvd/vcr player in the living room which was nice-we brought a few movies from home and could relax. The groceries out there have the movie cubes with $1 rentals. Im not sure why the resort decided to only renovate part of the room-the bathroom and kitchen area was certainly cira 1985. Gold fixtures, old tiles, moldy bath area. Not a big deal but it definitely does not match the rest of the unit renovations. The doors and things like that are original so not everything was replaced. feels a little Hugh Hefner style especially with the wide open shower/bath area-views from every room! It was very exciting! The jacuzzi tub was pretty great. There were a few nights when the hot water was not very hot but generally hot enough. The tub is so big it takes about 30 minutes to fill up. We preferred it over the community hot tub which was always packed with people. You can hear the rooms next to you filling their tubs. Which leads to one of my major issues. The walls are very thin which kept me up quite a few nights. You can hear everything going on in the surrounding rooms and hallways. Of course, people are partying and everything late into the night from which I was awoken on multiple occasions. Maybe earplugs would be helpful. The pool table was fun in the arcade. Maid service came one time mid-week to change the linens and vacuum. There was more than enough storage for 2 people. 2 big closets and plenty of drawer space. The location to the tram at Heavenly was about 50 yards. Easily walked even in ski boots, carrying skis. The resort is way too far to walk to anything else-restaurants, shopping ect. Probably 3 miles from the Heavenly gondola/shopping area and farther to the casions but not a big woop. A little far off the beaten track. I did witness some vehicles spinning tires trying to get up the incline into the driveway. It was pretty steep. We did not eat or rent any equipment at the Seasons, so I can not comment on that. There was internet available on a computer in the lobby. People got on and off pretty quick. All in all, it was a decent place. Not luxurious by any means but clean and close to the slopes. Personally, Im not sure if I would stay here again only because I like to have a kitchen when I am staying somewhere for a week. We spent alot of money eating out. But if you dont mind not cooking or are on a shorter trip, it was ok.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Glen Burnie, MD
Reviewed 10 February 2009

First…a little about us. My wife and I are in our mid-40’s and our favourite destinations to exchange into are the Caribbean, Las Vegas and Lake Tahoe. I dive, golf and snowboard and my wife skis. I also love beer, and micro-brews in particular, and we both love to eat, so my reviews tend to be skewed towards food and beer! I make it a point to try the local brews. This was our 4th trip to S.Lake Tahoe, in as many years. This was also our 3rd stay at the Tahoe Seasons Resort, (TSR). Lake Tahoe is very special to us, as it’s the only vacation that we take all by ourselves. Over the years, it’s become “our place” On to the review.

We flew out of BWI, on Southwest, and the flights were uneventful. R/T air cost us $616.00. There are no direct flights from BWI to RNO, but there are a couple of direct flights from RNO to BWI. We rented a 4WD, (Dodge Pacifica?), from Dollar, for $316.00. If you rent a car, (in the winter), make sure it is a 4WD and that you’re comfortable with driving in the snow. The ride from the Reno airport to South Lake Tahoe can be dicey, when it snows. It can look bright and sunny on the highway from Reno, (rt 395), but it can get downright treacherous once you hit the road through the mountain pass, (rt 50). If you’re not comfortable with this, I suggest that you use the South Tahoe Express, (Google it), which is a shuttle service that runs between RNO and many of the resorts. It’s around $40.00pp and does give you peace of mind if driving in the snow isn’t you’re thing. We booked an early flight, and were fortunate enough to arrive in time to hit the grocery store, check-in and watch the entire Super Bowl

Years ago, and now, the majority of reviews rate this as an “average” resort. On further research, it seems as if the negative reviews come from people who don’t come here to ski and they are “pre-renovation” reviews. One of the major advantages to the TSR is that they have complimentary covered 24 hr valet parking, (i.e. no digging your vehicle out of 3’ of snow). This is a big plus. The valets are all friendly, and efficient.

We landed at 12:00 and were in our car and on the road by 12:30. We hit the grocery store, (Raley’s, which is in the center of town), to stock up on beer, booze, snacks and some small food items. (NOTE: THE ROOMS DO NOT HAVE KITCHENS) All they have is a small wet-bar, coffeemaker & dorm fridge. There are no plates, napkins or silverware. If you need that stuff, then you’ll have to buy it. BTW, the coffee-maker takes the small basket filters, (4-cups). The prices are comparable to home, (Baltimore area), with good prices on micro-brews, (~ $9.00 per six-pack), and they had some monster deals on booze, (i.e. $16.00 for a .375l Patron, $16.99 for a .750l Crown Royal & $15.99 for a .750l Gentleman Jack) We snagged a bottle of Patron and some Crown. I also got a six-pack of Lagunitas IPA, (a delicious hoppy brew), and a sixer of Alaska Brewing Co. IPA, (which I believe is a seasonal offering) Both were excellent brews and tough to find back home. I also bought a bottle of Chimay Premiere for around $9.00.

Check-in: A breeze. The clerk was very friendly and efficient. It took us all of about 5 minutes. The bellman unloaded our vehicle, and even filled up our cooler with ice. (Hint: buy a cheap Styrofoam cooler…it frees up fridge space) We got to the room, and got settled in, and watched the Super Bowl.

Lobby: You enter into the lobby area. To your right, is the bellman, and ski-check room? Directly across from that, is the concierge along with the front desk, to the right.
To the left is a hallway that leads to the restaurant and small convenience store. To the right of all of the above, is a “great” room, with a huge stone fireplace, with plenty of couches and chairs. There is a small, heated, pool and hot-tub, right outside of the “great” room. On the opposite side of the great room, there is a small bar, “the Pub”, which is a pretty decent little pub. We didn’t drink there this time around. Next to the Pub, they have a small ski/board rental shop and, next to that, a small arcade and ski shop. The guys who work the shop are laid back and very friendly. Personally, I think that the ski-rental is high, (~$34.00)

Accommodations: 1-BR 4/4 Wonderful!! Over the years, we’ve been content with the rooms at TSR. The newly renovated rooms are fantastic! The carpet, flooring and furniture are brand new. The only exception is the dining room table and benches, which I’ll cover later. We were in room 321. The resort is built into the side of a mountain/hill. It has 8 floors, but the lobby is located in the middle, on the 5th floor. To reach our room, on the 3rd floor, you took the elevator down. It was funny to see first timers get confused!

Living Room: You enter into the small living-room. There is a new sleeper sofa on the left, with a small coffee table in front of it, and an end-table with a lamp and phone. Directly across from the couch is a small chest of drawers, with a nice-sized, (27” maybe?), LCD TV on top of it. There is a panelled door that leads into a large spa/tub/shower and vanity, bathroom area.

Bathroom/Vanity/Shower: The spa is huge, (2 people can lay in it comfortably), and has a couple of panelled doors and a curtain, for privacy. They have one of those European type shower heads, with the hose, and the faucet can be hung on one of 2 different fixtures. There is plenty of hot water and the pressure is fantastic. Directly across from the tub, is a vanity area, with a single sink, a large mirror, and a vanity with several drawers on both sides. There is also a brand new blow-dryer, which seemed powerful enough to keep the Mrs. Happy. To the right of the vanity is a small closet, with hangars. To the left, is a tiny, tiny bathroom, with a toilet and a wall length mirror. When I say tiny, you’re knees just about hit both walls while sitting. The flooring is a beautiful gray vinyl covering, which looks like ceramic tiles.

Bedroom: Exit the vanity area, and enter into the bedroom. On the right, is a small wet-bar area, (sink, microwave, coffee-maker & dorm fridge). The microwave is not new, but it works. The fridge & coffee-maker appeared to be new. The coffee-maker is a 4 cup basket-style set up, (I take my own coffee), and there are no filters in the room. To the left, is a dining room table, against the wall, big enough for 4 people. There is a bench back, and 2 chairs. The chairs and bench seat have all been reupholstered. The fabric is very nice and the chairs, and bench, are comfortable. On the table, is a ethernet connection. Internet service is $29.95 per week. Next to the table, there is a decent sized chest of drawers, (4 drawers maybe?), and a 37” LCD TV on top of that. To the right, is a gas fireplace. The bed is new, with a new box spring and mattress and 4 comfy pillow. The bed is very, very comfortable. There are also a couple of beautiful new bedside tables, and a big alarm clock. (Hint: if you have an Ipod, or MP3 player, you can hook it into the clock/radio)

The heat, along with the fireplace, is one of those older units that are against the wall with a “heat” and “cool” buttons, along with a couple of fan controls. It worked just fine. The view out of the window was of a small pool and courtyard, of a neighboring property. Overall? We were very pleased with the room. While spacious enough for 2 adults, it would be pushing it with 4.

On-site Restaurant: In the past, it was only opened for a buffet breakfast. Now, the restaurant is open for dinner on Fri-Sat-Sunday and for breakfast, (a la carte), every day. I can’t comment on the dinner, (as we ate dinners in town), but the breakfast was very good and the prices decent, (2 eggs, 2 sausage, 2 pancakes, hash-browns or home-fries), for $9.95. The portions were huge. A great start for a day of riding/skiing.

Activities: As a rule, we seldom participate in any organized activities, so I can’t give an honest assessment. but they seemed to have a few posted. They had a wine & cheese social but, in reality, it was a timeshare sales presentation. I hung around and watched it, because they had a lot of great info, (and good cheese!), but they weren’t really pushy. At this time of year, everyone is here to ski anyway. The concierges both seemed very friendly and I overheard them giving first-timers good advice on local dining and activities.

I won’t get into the obvious, (skiing, snowboarding, etc), but I’ll touch on a few of the highlights of playing and dining in S. Lake Tahoe.

Dining: Here are my views, on a few meal highlights.

Fire & Ice An entertaining, and delicious, way to dine. It’s located in town, next to the Gondola. In a nutshell, you pick out your food, and sauces and a couple of guys cook it up for you, similar to teppanyaki dining. You can eat as much as you want. They have items like tuna, scallops, shrimp, mussels, sirloin, chicken, lamb, snow pea pods, bean sprouts, etc, (Google it for a menu) They also give you a covered bowl of sticky rice and a container of warm tortillas. 2 of us ate, (with a couple of tall beers…Sierra Nevada draft and Fat Tire draft), for around $80.00 for dinner. Lunch is less, but the menu isn’t as extensive.

The Brewery at Lake Tahoe A hole in the wall place, just north of Ski Run Blvd. They brew their own beer. I tried the sampler, which consists of eight 5-oz glasses of all of their beers. I love the IPA, the BadAss Ale and the “Killabrew”. The other beers were drinkable, but nothing to write home about. The service was slow, but the ribs were incredible. They were slow cooked, then grilled and slathered in sauce. They fell off the bone and were served with a side of BBQ sauce, and seasoned fries. It also includes a Caesar salad with homemade dressing. Very, very good.

The Beacon Bar & Grill at Camp Richardson Marina This is a restaurant/bar which is about a 15-20 minute ride from the center of town. It’s located directly on the lake and the views of the surrounding mountains and lake are to die for. We got there for happy hour and they had a few specials, (i.e. $8.00 calamari, $6.00 wings and $4.00 micro-brew drafts). The calamari was a huge portion. It was served with a couple of lemon wedges, and some tartar and cocktail sauce. It was deep fried and lightly dusted with parmesan cheese. The calamari pieces were so thick, that I thought that they would be overcooked and chewy. Nothing was further from the truth. It was cooked to tender perfection. I washed it down with a couple of the local ales, (I can’t remember the name), but they were crisp pale ales and very delicious. My wife had some wings. She asked them to shake ‘em in extra sauce, but it doesn’t appear that they did so. They did, however, give her a side of sauce. We were very happy with the food and service.

The Vitals:

It's suitable for families and couples
The units are in great shape.
The resort is in close proximity to activities, (skiing 100 yds away), and town is about a 5 minute drive.
The amenities, (pool, restaurant, bar, valet parking, etc), are fine

Random Thoughts: If you’re not afraid of the possibility of driving in snow, then rent a vehicle. Make it a 4WD vehicle. There is no longer a free shuttle service to the resort, (or most of the resorts). They were run by the city and it’s an “on-call” basis at $6.00pp. A cab to town is $12.00. It can really add up. You can also take the Heavenly Shuttle, (right across the street at the CA lodge of Ski Heavenly), and it’s FREE! The only catch is that it only runs until about 5:00 or 6:00 during the week. Buy a cheap cooler. It saves room in the fridge. There is a complimentary PC and printer next to the front desk. Use it to print your boarding passes and check e-mails

If you’re a snowboarder or skier, this is the place to stay. You’re literally steps away from the parking lot at the CA lodge.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Ski rental prices were high
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Skinsfan1311
HOUSTON
Reviewed 1 February 2009

The resort was nice, but we had a few issues. The pillows were extremely hard as were the towels. So bring your own pillow!! The employees were not very helpful, they seemed put out when asked a question. The location was great! Make sure you bring your own utensils and cups and plates if you are going to eat in your room. THE SKI SHOP needlle peak was great and they are cheaper than renting on the mountain! The heated pool was not heated enough to swim in, my childs teeth were chattering the whole time!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — pillows
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank texaskaty1