“Nice facility in a centralized location”

Bluelake Inn at Tahoe
Ranked #27 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Central California
“Nice facility in a centralized location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2009

This is the second year that my wife and I have stayed at the Bluelake Inn. It is located a block off Highway 50, but is within walking distance (several blocks) from stateline and the casinos, shopping/dining facilities, the gondola, and other attractions. Being a block removed from the main thoroughfare, it is relatively quiet and peaceful.

The hotel appears to be well kept up. During both stays, the rooms were clean and confortable. Last year we had a single room which was well appointed and included refrigerator and microwave. This year we stayed in a two room suite with our kids. The room was just as nice as the previous year with the same amenities. The pool was also well maintained. The continental breakfast is simple with pastries, oatmeal, some type of fruit, coffee, tea, etc..

The staff was always friendly and helpful throughout both stays - which leads to one of the main reasons we returned this year. Last year, after returning home, I realized that I had accidentally left something in the room. I thought for sure that it was gone for good. However, I decided to give them a call. I spoke with Don who immediately said that housekeeping had found it and he was holding it for the owners to claim. We worked out the arrangements and after getting him a prepaid shipping box, Don immediately boxed it up and I had it within 3 to 4 days. I could not have been happier!!

In summary, I would stay here again in a heartbeat. While you should not expect a luxury hotel, I doubt that it can be beat for the cleanliness, location, staff helpfulness, and price.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank sierrarambler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Chino Hills, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2009

My wife and I stayed at this inn for two nights in the middle of August. After reading mixed reviews from travelers and never having stayed at an inn before, I was apprehensive to say the least. But I am happy to say that the inn and the service was spectacular and made our trip memorable. First, the location is unbeatable: within three blocks of nearly everything (Heavenly Village, shops, casinos, and beach). Second, the rooms were as spacious if not more spacious than hotel rooms in which I have stayed and very clean. Microwave and Frig in the room came in very handy. Carpets were a bit worn, but who cares? Third, the staff is amazing! Don and Jacob checked us in and made us feel right at home. To say that they go above and beyond is an understatement. Don gave me perfect directions to the inn over the phone and continued to answer my questions throughout my stay. At one point, my wife and I were running late to the Shakespeare Festival at Sand Harbor where we planned to picnic and watch a play. I buzzed Don at the front desk, wanting to know the closest place in which I could pick up a bottle of wine and emphasized that I was in a hurry. He said, "Right down here." He gave me a free bottle of wine to take with me. Wow! And here comes the thoughtfulness: he wanted to know if I had a bottle opener (would have never remembered to ask) and when I said I did not, he gave me one to keep. It is this personal touch that means more than the glitz and the glamor of the bigger hotels. The list goes on and on about this place. Free wifi Internet. Free access to Lakeside Beach. Free Breakfast (donuts, Starbucks coffee, OJ, fruit, and oatmeal). All for $44/night plus tax. Wow! For all these reasons and more, it is truly a pleasure to recommend this establishment. We have found a home for all future Tahoe trips.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sargonbenyta
CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2009

The Blue Lake in is a "dump". The cloths rack was broken,looked like someone chewed on it. The tool rack in the backroom was falling off the wall. It seemed clean and the beds were OK. It was "party central" so don't expect to get any sleep. It was close to the Grondola and the Casino's. Guess you get what you pay for. There were some better llooking hotels in the same area.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these South Lake Tahoe hotels

California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2009

We just spent 3 nights at the Blue Lake. The location is great. It is just a couple of minutes from the the Gondola, nightlife and shops, and 5 minutes from the casinos and beach. Our room was very clean, with a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. The mattresses however, were very hard which made it very uncomfortable to sleep. It seemed like we were sleeping on the floor with nothing under. We inquired about the mattresses. We were told that all their mattresses are hard and if they bought soft mattresses they would only last 3 weeks (yes, 3 weeks), therefore they have to buy hard mattresses to last a long time. Continental breakfast is just donuts, very small apples, coffee, milk and orange juice. My overall rating is a 3 because of the mattresses being so hard, otherwise I would rate a 5.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2009

Stayed at this motel in the middle of tourist season, but still got good rest and sleep. Room was big, nice and clean.
Location is excellent! U don't need a car if u want go shopping, eating, gondola ride or to beach.

Cons to somebody:
- breakfast was coffee, donuts and some porridge
- pool was very small

California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2009

We stayed at the Blue Lake Inn 3 nights and chose this hotel because we are on a budget and didn't want to pay resort prices.

Positives:
Good value for the area. One block from Heavenly Village and three blocks from Casinos. Lots of restaurants within walking distance. The room was average but clean. White towels a plus. Refrigerator, microwave and coffee pot worked well. Good coffee and pastries in the morning. Parking lot is well lit at night.

Negatives:
Staff is not very friendly, either on the phone or in person. There are abandoned buildings across the street from hotel. Tiny pool in small enclosed area.

Would I return? Probably not but if you are on a budget or just passing through for the night, it is worth staying.

ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2009

We just checked in. We were 3 hours early and honestly did not expect to get our room so early, but because of our 10 hr drive from So, Ca. Don was very understanding and not only accomadited us, he made sure we got the best rate possible. After juggling some rooms around he was able to give us a room. I was horrified when my wife came to me and said that she wanted a different room, right in front of our parking. I thought that it would be next to impossible, but good ol Don's attitude is, I can do that. Fixed it - no problem- and gave us well wishes.

I will give a review of the amenities after we complete our stay