“Set your expectations beforehand and you will be fine”

Forest Suites Resort at Heavenly Village
Ranked #24 of 65 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Fearing the worst, but liking the price, I booked a three night stay at the Forest Suites Resort combined with a ski package from skiheavenly.com.

I was early for check in and was told my room was needing to be inspected before I could check in. Since I was earlier than the 4pm check in time I didn't mind. He said he would call when it was inspected and ready. 30 minutes passed and still no phone call, so I went back to the front desk and a very helpful lady just switched some room assignments around and got me into a room that was ready. So I was pleased with this, but why couldn't the first guy have just done that in the beginning?

Upon arrival to my room it was old, but very clean and well stocked. I was pleasantly surprised. Lots of towels, shampoo, soap, coffee, everything I needed. Again, the room was old and outdated, but everything worked and nothing smelled bad.

Over the three day stay things went fine. As others have mentioned, the location is the best thing this place has going for it: two minutes to the gondola, shopping, movies, restaurants, this place is a real estate land mine if someone wanted to buy the place.

My only complaints are two fold and ultimately result in my rating of average vs. very good. First, the complimentary breakfast was a zoo and not well stocked. In fact, the first day I went down to breakfast at 9:30 (it ended at 10:00) and the only thing left was cereal and milk. And the place was trashed. So I got some cereal and milk and while I was eating it, the person in charge of the breakfast took the rest of the cereal and milk away! It was obvious she was closing early and not concerned about the guests. Having learned the "system" I went early the next two days and was able to get what I needed to start my day, but it was still very hectic, crowded and not well stocked. Ideally they need another person on staff (what about one of the three people working the front desk in the morning?) and they need to keep it more clean and stocked.

The second complaint was about the wi-fi. It works, its easy to access, but it is SLOW. Tried to stream a movie on Netflix and it would have to buffer every 10 minutes. In today's fast paced world, fast wi-fi is a greens fee for hotels, and they are in need of a serious upgrade.

In summary, set your expectations beforehand and you will be fine.

Room Tip: Building 3 is decent, but I have a feeling other buildings are better.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 10 December 2011

great location, very close to everything. Heavenly, Casinos, Dinner, and Raley. Service is not that great, but we encountered no problems at all. Rooms need major upgrade.

Room Tip: Book in advance and look for special rates
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 December 2011

We stayed in a 2 room/ 2 bath suite, more of an apartment really. We had stayed in the adjacent Sheraton and the Embassy Suites which are more upscale but for the price we would stay at the Forest Suites again. The breakfast doesn't compare to Embassy but it's fine before a day of skiing. The location is excellent. You will walk less to the Gondola than from Embassy. The military rate is excellent!

Room Tip: 2br/2ba suites on the 2nd floor do not have an elevator. Ask for 1st floor to avoid steps.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We (5 adults) spent Thanksgiving weekend. Lobby was impressive. Excellent location. New paint job in the rooms. The beds were comfy, really small kitchen with only 2 small pots, that's it. No Pan nor a bigger pot to cook a meal for 5, no dishwasher. So we needed to improvise.We were disappointed about the hot tub area, out in the cold, long way from the the tub back to the room. Expected one in the sauna/gym area inside the building. The pool was covered and not in use. Breakfast was fine.
We didn't use the Service, had enough towels and cleaned up our self. Never would pay the full price for this Resort. Thanks to Groupon, we got this deal for a reasonable price.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank KonaRenate
Reviewed 25 November 2011

We stayed at the resort for four days. It was my Son's wedding and the venue, chapel, location, service and everything was wonderful. We'd definitely come back again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 November 2011

We were very pleased with the state of our room and the hotel in general. The staff was all friendly and helpful, answered all our questions (we were unfamiliar with the area) and made great suggestions for activities and dining options nearby. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 November 2011

My husband and I spent a couple nights here and we had an amazing time. Very pleased with the hotel - it was beautiful with lovely grounds and nice, clean rooms. The service was amazing - all the employees were very friendly and helpful. The location is excellent - you can pretty much walk everywhere from this place. Restaurants, shops, casinos - it's all a short walk away. Would like to come back when it's snowing - it's right across the street from the Heavenly Gondola and I bet the hotel looks even more charming in the snow. We really enjoyed our time at this hotel and will be definitely be coming back again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple