“Poor Conditions, Overpriced, Not properly Maintained or Managed........” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Forest Suites Resort at Heavenly Village

Forest Suites Resort at Heavenly Village
Ranked #22 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Orlando, Florida
“Poor Conditions, Overpriced, Not properly Maintained or Managed........”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2010

We have stayed in many places in our annual Holiday Ski trip to South Lake Tahoe for the past 30 years, but this place take the dubious honor of WORSE PLACE to stay ever.
The ONLY THING is going for it is LOCATION. The rooms are in bad repair.
2 buildings that we were initially placed and relocated to in the complex have Mold infestation. Don't know about the rest. Most fixtures either do not work or are in bad repair. We were placed in a Mold infested suites first, where TV remote would not work, HVAC unit switched from Heat to cool when reached the desired temperature. There was a dust ever where. Carpets are filthy and have not been vacuumed properly ever and over 10 years old or more. The Management does not care about quality. When notified of the Mold, just replied that they had it inspected and it passed!? Did not bother to come and see for himself. Just relocated us to another unit with less Mold!? The one we were replaced to had a broken Toilet which we did not find out until middle of night and when notified front desk, we were told that there is no repair service until next morning! We were not even told that there are any options! We had to ask if there is somewhere else like in lobby where we can use the toilet! Hair dryer was broken.
Shower head was set for people under 4'!? The exhaust fan made such a loud noise that woke up the entire floor. The Hot Tub jets were ALL broken and heat output was so hot, burned your skin. Sidewalks were iced over night and very dangerous to walk on. One in our party fell and injured her knee..... No attempt was made to salt them regularly. There was very little cooking equipment in the kitchen of the suites. And what was there was old, chipped and nasty to use. There was only 3 sets of un matched dishes and cups for a place supposed to accommodate 4! Not enough Tiles were provided in bath. Soap bars were so small that after 2 people use had to call for another one...so were the shampoo bottles....I can go on and on, but running out of room.....all this for a rate of over $220/night!!!??? Well overpriced...not at all worth it.... The ONLY THING is going for it is LOCATION. But there are plenty of other places near the Gondolas….NEVER AGAIN we will go to that DUMP.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
South Lake Tahoe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2010

I doubt that I can truly convey how phenomenal was my stay that I had at the Forest Suite Resort. I have been a returning guest for the Forest Suites Resort for several years. When I stay at other resorts in the area I begin to regret not staying there. I have been completely thrilled with every stay. I have stayed in every type of room that they have. I have enjoyed and loved staying in the standard hotel rooms. However, this time I was upgraded to a two bedroom suite. It was outstanding. I was totally blown away. I had a ground floor suite with a little patio next to the pool. I usually try not to stay on ground floors, but I was pleasantly surprised. I slept great. I wish I could have purchased the suite as a type of vacation ownership so that it could be mine. I also felt completely safe. I was traveling on my own and I was able to walk to all the places that I wanted to go. As a single female I rarely travel on my own any more. But with this trip I didn't have worries and I felt completely safe, which for me it is astonishing. The resort feels like it is away from town and very secluded, but you just walk across the street and you find yourself in the heart of South Lake Tahoe. I was able to walk to the Gondola, the Casinos, the grocery store, and for a bit longer very healthy walk to the lake it is about 4 blocks. I love the convenience and the location. I love Jamba Juice, Starbucks, and Cold Stone. Just to give you a little more bit about why the location is just perfect. All three of those are very close to the resort.

The front desk staff is incredible, they are always friendly and so helpful. They definitely help to make my return stays feel like I never left. They make it feel like a home. Each time I return I am greeted with a very warm hello and a check-in I never receive anywhere else in the World. They always exceed my expectations. The management staff is very friendly and outstanding. I know without the management team the resort wouldn't be the way it is, so I give them 7 stars. Thank you so much for the phenomenal stay.

I simply can't express how much I enjoyed my stay. I will be returning again and can hardly wait.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2010

The hotel was in a great location, within walking distance of the cable car and all local amenities . Friendly staff and the room was huge (bedroom with super king size bed and separate sitting room and kitchen). Breakfast was of a very good standard too.
If I were to ski in Heavenly, then this place would be perfect in the winter - we might have to come back!

Genoa, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2010

We were trying to find rooms for the big weekend at Lake Tahoe that featured the Celebrity Golf Tournament, a Rascal Flats Concert along with the SnoopDog Concert at Mount Blue. We were going to the Mount Blue concert and wanted to be close to the Casino core. We were directed to the Forest Suites as an alternative to staying at a casino. We were greeted by a very proffessional staff that was able to help us with our specific intracasies and get us settled in before the preparations for the concert that night. Our room was very comfortable,clean and fresh! It was a two room suite featuring two bathrooms that were very well adorned. We had a great time and we were taken care of exceptionally well. We would recomend to everyone to try the Forest Suites next time you are at Lake Tahoe. It is within walking distance of all the action at South Lake Tahoe.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
central valley, ca
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2010

The recent stay was the worst experience I have ever had an a hotel. The name and the lobby are surely a front for the low grade room that the business has to offer. I usually dont stay at a hotel that has less than 4 stars. Planned a one night stay to visit my grandson that was camping neverby, looked on the internet and remembered this name from several years ago. I havent visited this area for several years. My expectations were to have a clean!!!!!!! room, nothing fancy for a one night stay. Just needed to sleep and be able to shower. When we arrived the faucility was very LOUD, peole were running all over, large groups of drunk people partying it up. The counters were dirty! The refrigerator had spilt ranch dressing all over. There were towels that were stained with a red substance. The bathroom shower/tub comb was ridiculous, you couldnt stand in the center of the tub without the bottom moving and feeling like it was going to fallout. The bedrrom door was extremely difficult to shut and when you finally got it shut, you feared it wouldnt reopen. The cabinets in the kitchen had leftover garbage from the previos renters and they didnt shut. There was only 1 sm bottle of body wash, which 4 people had to use and no other soap to be able to wash your hands after using the restroom. There was no dish soap in the dispenser in the kitchen area, either. When we went down to the front desk to complain and ask for another room, we were only given alone other room option (which was no better than were we were) or refund our money. Although this was what I really wanted to do, it was late and trying to seek a room with two children at that time of night was not even an option. The next morning when we left, we spoke to another individual whom made several excuses.....stating that they were going to start remodeling that side this month, because it has alot of wear. NO KIDDING! My biggest concern was the cleaning standard! I dont believe that there is any! Stained towls, throw them away. Put enough soap for your guests to maintain hygiene.

Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank travelintoeat
ForestManager, General Manager at Forest Suites Resort at Heavenly Village, responded to this review, 14 October 2010
Dear Travelintoeat –

Thank you for your feedback and we regret to hear you had a bad experience with us at Forest Suites. Please allow me to comment on some of your review. While we realize that our property is not the newest in Tahoe, we strive to create a comfortable, homey feel for our guests. We hope that our lobby reflects this viewpoint, and certainly did not intend for it to be a front for the rest of our property. We are sorry that you felt the property was loud. Looking at your reservation, you checked in at 4:30pm on a Saturday, which is a busy time of day for any hotel. We had a full house that weekend, and families were enjoying themselves by the pool or playing in our game room in the lobby. I also see that you didn't contact the front desk about your concerns until after 11pm, when there is very limited ability for us to move you to another room or address your needs in your current suite. As to your comments about the refrigerator and cabinets being dirty, there is absolutely no excuse for that, and we sincerely apologize. As our front desk manager explained the following morning, your room was previously off-market for maintenance, cleaning, and inspection, and the ball was dropped in checking the room before your arrival. In reference to the towels and body wash, our staff would have been more than happy to bring you extra stock of those items if asked. You stayed in a 1 Bedroom Suite, and we generally stock those rooms with supplies for 1-2 people, to avoid careless waste, which is important to us as an environmentally conscious hotel. However, upon request or notification that more than 2 people plan to share a 1 Bedroom Suite, we are always more than happy to restock or replace any items in our guest’s suites. I know you did not plan to stay with us again, but we urge you to call our General Manager and accept his offer of a free night’s stay. Thank you again for your review and we hope to get the chance to make it up to you.
Dubuque, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2010

The first thing this hotel will do is charge your first night to your credit card when you make reservations. I know why now after spending a night in one of their rooms. After spending 15 days in hotels all over the western United States; this was by far the worst place my wife and i stayed. And it was a shame, because Lake Tahoe is really beautiful. The carpet in the roon was old and dirty. There were spiders hanging from the window drapes, and ceiling. There were some type of small bugs running on the floor of a very outdated bathroom. The antique heater air-conditioner was located under the sink between the bed and bathroom. The air-conditioner was so loud we had to turn it off to sleep.The old 20" tube tv in the room was useless; as the cable reception for this hotel is terrible. There wasn't even a pen in the room to write postcards, and the two coffee mugs didn't even match. Housekeeping seems to work all afternoon till suppertime. And very few if any of the them speak english. I realize we were in California, but doesn't anybody speak english anymore? I guess that's why the staff seems so stand-offish. Most of them can't understand or speak english. Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money to stay at a good hotel. Don't let the fancy lobbie, and resort title trick you into staying here!

Dear Sturgisfxb –

Thank you for your feedback and we regret to hear you had a bad experience with us at Forest Suites. Please allow me to comment on some of your review. I’m sorry our deposit policy was a concern for you. We take the 1st night of each guest’s stay as a deposit on their reservation, which is quite standard for hotels around the country. As long as the guest calls to cancel or change their reservation within 7 days of arrival, we will always refund that 1st night deposit. We realize that our standard hotel rooms are just that, standard. While we try to update each room as often as monetarily possible, we haven’t been able to do as much in the hotel rooms as we would like. But each year we take the time and money to shampoo and steam clean all carpets and upholstery on property, and address any maintenance issues with our rooms. We sincerely apologize for any bugs found in your room, and wish we were given the opportunity to rectify this problem while you were here. We would have been more than happy to clean the room you were in or move you to a room you were pleased with. And while the A/C’s are not the newest in our hotel room wing, we try to at least offer you a air conditioning option, as most hotels in Tahoe don’t offer A/C at all. Yes, cable signals can be an issue up here in the mountains, but we rarely have complaints about the cable in the suites. And if we are notified during the guest’s stay our maintenance staff can address their concerns and resolve any issues. I’m sorry that you were disappointed with our housekeeping staff. They are the sweetest bunch of people that go above and beyond in terms of trying to please our guests, which is why you may have seen them still working after the close of normal business hours. While many of them are Hispanic, they do speak English, or can contact someone who speaks better English if a guest needs something. As your review stated, this is California, and many of us are Hispanic and Bilingual, which has absolutely no bearing on our customer service or ability to do a good job. We urge you to give our General Manager a call and accept his offer of a free night’s stay. Thank you again for your review and we hope to get the chance to make it up to you.
seattle33
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2010

My husband and I stayed here for three nights for our six year wedding anniversary. The location is great, right in Heavenly Village and an easy walk to the casinos, restaurants and the gondola.
The first room we checked in to was a one room suite. The suite was spacious but drab and depressing. There were stains above the bed which had lumpy, old pillows and stained comforters, the bathroom was like a motel 6, the carpets were worn and everything generally looked tired and beaten up. We asked the front desk girl if we could move rooms having been told by another staff member that the hotel was empty that night. She wouldn't let us as she said although empty that night all the rooms were booked for the following night. This first impression and her careless attitude soured our arrival. Next morning we luckily spoke to another staff member who willingly upgraded us to a two bedroom/bathroom suite. This one was much newer, cleaner and brighter. Our stay was more pleasant after this but overall I found the staff to be off hand, the corridors were shabby and the elevators were old and a year passed their inspection date!! It seemed to take ages to get to and from our room and the corridors reminded me of a hostel.

I understand this place is set up for skiing groups or families who want a place to crash after playing outside all day with somewhere to cook and relax and for that it is perfect. I also understand that wear and tear occurs if people are tramping around with skis etc. However it is not luxurious and is more of a condo resort. I felt like I was staying in a rented apartment.

On the plus side, housekeeping did an excellent job in our upgraded suite, it was very clean, lots of fluffy towels and fresh amenities everyday and this room was much more modern and well decorated in a better kept building.

The included breakfast was standard motel fare and we only ate in the lobby once.

Dear Seattle33 –

Thank you for your feedback and we regret to hear you had a bad starting experience with us at Forest Suites. Please allow me to comment on some of your review. I’m sorry your first room experience was not the best. We are continually updating our rooms with new furniture, bedding, and the like, and strive to create a comfortable, homey experience for our guests. We are glad that you asked for a new room to your liking, and that you had a better experience for the rest of your stay. Yes, our hallways are quite long, due to the amount of rooms on each floor, and that is why we have 3 stairwells and an elevator in each building with multiple floors. While our elevator is more of a freight elevator and not the type one is used to seeing in a casino or office building, it is more than adequate for a guest and their luggage. The elevator is inspected yearly by a specialist and has passed inspection each year. So although the certificate in the elevator might have a given an expired date, it is indeed up to date and not expired. We also had a special needs inspector out to the hotel this summer, and he approved our elevator for all types of wheelchairs and accessibility. We urge you to give our General Manager a call and accept his offer of a free night’s stay. Thank you again for your review and we hope to get the chance to make it up to you.