“Worse Award Stay of my Life”

Holiday Inn Express South Lake Tahoe
Ranked #21 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Reno, Nevada
“Worse Award Stay of my Life”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I am a member of multiple reward programs and have stayed at hundreds of hotels around the globe and never have I had such a ridiculous, frustrating, and unpleasant stay. It started with a free night stay based on IHG credit card versus a point stay. While the rewards programs claims to have no blackouts, some of the hotels are not obliged to allow reward stay, even when they have multiple rooms open and available (they can limit # of award rooms). I had gotten a free fri night and was hoping for a second free night as I had an additional reward for such in my account. The hotel had 4 rooms remaining open for Sat night when I checked in but were unwilling at that time to allow me to book on award, wanted only to sell it to me. I asked if there still happened to be open rooms come next day if they would reconsider, I was told to check back but doubtful. Unfortunately I feel I'll that night and when I checked online the next morning found rooms available online, and the website allowed me to book that next Night using my reward. I was happy not to have to drive home ill so I went to desk and checked out and back in on new reservation which I had confirmation for from IHG web booking. Stayed in bed ill all day and come 8:30 pm I get a call from the front desk saying there was a mistake and I should not have been allowed the free night and that I was going to be billed. My response was that I had a confirmation in hand but if they were going to hassle me over it I would leave. About 30 mins later, another call came stating it had been worked out and they were ALLOWING me to stay. The whole thing kept me up half the night brewing but I was still to sick to leave. Next morning at checkout, clerk was insistent on varying my credit card details which sent up another red flag. She also indicated that I "had been told" that award # had been hit for Sat and implied that I was somehow gaming the system. I responded that when I saw the rooms available online Sat morning, I just assumed the hotel opened them up at that point as they WERE NOT BOOKED FULL ANYWAY! I then requested a checkout invoice showing a zero balance as I had lost all trust in this place and the couple beside me was having a similar problem (don't know if they were checking in or out but they were also booked on a free night that the desk was not acknowledging). The checkout clerk gave me a song and dance about not being able to give me a zero balance invoice at which I lost my patience and indicated I wasn't leaving without a zero invoice and advised her that I had never been treated so badly at a lodging establishment in all of my decades of traveling. She finally produced a zero balance invoice which I am hanging on to until my next credit card statement arrives... I am hoping the battle is truly over! There is nothing wrong with the rooms but this kind of guest treatment is utterly uncalled for

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank worldgypse
Hotel S, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express South Lake Tahoe, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thank you for your review, however we must apologize and couldn’t be more disappointed by the experience you have shared with us. Providing hospitable service at every level is of utmost importance. We will certainly review your feedback with our management team to ensure that we are delivering the service our hotel is known for. It is always our hope that guests enjoy all that we have to offer and we ask that you accept our sincerest apologies.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We have stayed here on may occasions and we still cannot fault the place. Location is good, rooms are clean and kept clean! breakfast for a freebie is ok. It is a good location to stay, quiet and a short walk to the casinos etc

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank andrew g
Thank you for your review, which is music to our ears…We are so happy to hear about your great stay here at Holiday Inn Express South Lake Tahoe! Thank you for sharing your review. We are indeed just a short distance from resorts and shops and are glad to know you appreciated that convenience of our breakfast as well. We hope to see you again.
Norfolk
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We have stayed in the Holiday Inn Express every time we have visited Tahoe to ski for quite a number of years now. It remains as excellent as ever. The rooms are clean, tidy and well maintained. Great location at South Lake and good access to many facilities. Staff are all very helpful and the breakfast without being spectacular is more than adequate. I would recomment this hotel to anyone visiting the Tahoe area. Thanks again for the great stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
We are so glad you found everything to be great here at Holiday Inn Express South Lake Tahoe! Thank you for sharing your review. We are glad to know you appreciated the convenience of our location as well as our breakfast and hospitality. We hope to see you again.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

On someone's recommendation we booked this hotel and stayed here for a 3-day weekend in South Lake Tahoe. It was so nice! The check-in lobby looked like any motel, but the front desk workers were very friendly and helpful. Our room was the real treat. It had a huge king size bed with a lovely fainting couch and a fireplace not only in our room, but also in the bathroom. The bathroom was massive - in one part of the bathroom was a double shower (not just a larger than normal shower - a shower with TWO shower heads!). In a completely separate part was the big jacuzzi bathtub with the fireplace behind it. Next to our room was an indoor jacuzzi and sauna. There was also an outdoor pool and outdoor jacuzzi in the front of the motel. From the motel we walked everywhere we wanted to go - to the lake, shopping, restaurants, gambling, etc. It was a really nice weekend and we wouldn't hesitate to return to this Holiday Inn Express.

Room Tip: Try to book the king size room with the fireplace and jacuzzi tub that is downstairs, right next to...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind review. It is always our goal to comfortably accommodate our guests and it seems as though we have achieved just that. The surrounding area is filled with some amazing attractions and we are happy to know you appreciated it. We look forward to seeing you again.
Salmon Arm, Canada
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We found the Holiday Inn Express to be a lovely, clean and quiet hotel with very helpful staff. The front desk staff was exceptional in providing information and service.

The room is quite large, new finishes, large closet, and the bathroom has a double sink (rarely see that). It also has free internet service and laundry on site. Although located on the main street, the rooms are set back and so the road noise is not noticeable. It's only a minute or two walk to major shopping and the Heavenly ski lift. Casinos are also very close.

Breakfast was typical. The staff kept the food stocked and the breakfast room clean.

Enjoyed our stay here and would recommend. If we're ever back this way, we would definitely stay here. Our room cost for two double beds was $100/night.

As a side note:

We arrived in South Lake Tahoe with reservations and initially stopped at the Paradice Motel as it was ranked fairly high on Trip Advisor. However, the room we were shown had one king bed (soft when sat on), in a small room and at a cost at $138. We saw nothing special about this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel S, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express South Lake Tahoe, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
We are so glad you found everything to be great here at Holiday Inn Express South Lake Tahoe! Thank you for sharing your review. Providing hospitable service at every level is of the utmost importance to us and we are delighted to know that you have witnessed that. Happy to know we are your first choice and we are looking forward to your next stay!
Beersheba, Israel
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Back again for another solo ski trip. I didn't think twice about where to stay and neither should you.
Excellent location, free parking, comfortable beds, clean rooms, friendly smiling staff, free breakfast....why stay anywhere else ? I think that they have improved the wifi since I was last there as I noticed that the signal was excellent (last time it was just good). There is something nice about this old style place with modern conveniences. It's just across the road from anything you need, whether food, souvenirs or some spare ski gear. So when the weather was wet it took me just a couple of minutes to grab some food and get back to the warm room and enjoy an in room TV dinner. Thank you for another great stay ! I am looking forward to my next visit to this great hotel.

Room Tip: It's all good !
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
We are so happy to know that you once again enjoyed your stay here at Holiday Inn Express South Lake Tahoe! Thank you for sharing your review. Providing hospitable service at every level is of utmost importance to us and we are delighted to know that you have witnessed that. Looking forward to your next visit with us!
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We stayed here for my birthday weekend (Thursday - Sunday night). The room was clean, the bed comfortable and the breakfast more than the usual pastry & coffee. We were here to ski Heavenly and were with in walking distance of the resort and shops. Everything moe than met our expectations. The staff was always extremely friendly and helpful, sharing their knowlege of the area. For the money the Holiday Inn Express is a great value. We will stay here again we visit the area,

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Happy belated birthday! Your review is music to our ears…We are so happy to hear about your great stay here at Holiday Inn Express South Lake Tahoe! Thank you for sharing your review. We are indeed just a short distance from resorts and shops and are glad to know you appreciated that convenience as well as our breakfast and hospitality. We hope to see you again.