“Typical Chain Motel”

Rodeway Inn Casino Center
Ranked #30 of 65 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Reviewed 26 January 2010

We stayed here the weekend after New Year's, so the town and thus this motel, was fairly empty. We were only here overnight on a Friday to do a few days of skiing, so we did not have a long stay. Check in was simple and easy, and the room was decent, reasonably clean and updated. We were on the 2nd of 3 floors, and did not have a noise problem. This could have been due to the fact that most of the rooms were unoccupied, but nonetheless it was good.

The room was basic, but did have all the standard amenities. The bed was ok, if not a little too saggy for my liking (I think it had a plush top, not that the bed was run down). The wall heat/AC unit was a bit loud, as would be expected, but it did not deter us from sleeping. The bathroom looked to have been remodeled within the last few years, and appeared clean (a big deal to me). Water pressure was good and nice and hot. We were supplied with basic toiletries, except that the shampoo and conditioner were sample size packets, not a bottle, so if you are a woman with long hair, there may not be enough in those tiny packets.

Continental breakfast was basic, cereal, toast, pastries, coffee, and juice. That's pretty much it. But it was enough to tide us over until we could eat a real meal at lunch time.

Overall, the place is fine. Basic, standard chain motel experience. I do recommend booking a room on the 3-story side (across the street from the office), as those rooms are nice and appear to be the updated ones (we did not stay on the older side, but enough people have recommended the newer side, which to me was a good experience). Those rooms are a bit pricier (like $10 more) but if they are newer and cleaner, I would gladly pay that small extra amount.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cthenn

Reviewed 21 January 2010

Actually still staying at the Rodeway Inn South Lake as I write this review. This is probably my 5th stay over the past 3 years. I keep coming back because they take basic lodging up a notch. About me: I've stayed in everything from $2 hostels in South America to 4 star hotels in major US cities. I don't require luxury but do have an idea about what a comfortable stay requires. When in South Lake Tahoe I'm generally I am up chasing snowstorms and staying by myself midweek. Though I have been here for weekends and I've stayed in rooms on both sides of the street. All rooms have been nicely appointed and clean whether or not recently renovated. Many of the places in South Lake in the lower end of the price range are disgusting. Rodeway Inn similar low rates but it is not a place you will regret staying. You might pay $10-$15 to stay here than the cheapest but it is worth it!!! The room I am in now is clean with the basic amenities TV, coffee maker, cable, good heater, newer bathroom with a very hot shower. Down the hall, next to the ice machine, there is a microwave for heating up meals. Very nice for skiers or anyone trying to save money and enjoy a self catered dinner in the room. Continental breakfast is quite good. Cereals, oatmeal, juices and coffee and I think toast?. All staff have been very pleasant and appreciative of my business. I will continue to stay here as long as I visit South Lake Tahoe.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank gordee151
Reviewed 4 January 2010

I stayed at Rodeway Inn Casino Center for 3 nights during the holidays, and we had a terrible experience. The location is OK, but they didn't cleaned our room during out stay, even considering that we always left around 9:00am to return around 4:00pm, with plenty of time to do so. The hotel was really crowded, so even though, they should start the cleaning on the second day on the room that were not cleaned on the previous day. They didn't... On our last day we had to go to the reception to ask for someone to clean the room. We also used their online system for reservations, and we found out that we were paying more than other people that came without reservations, and also more than other better options around. Never more, never again. I'll never stay on a Rodeway Inn...

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 November 2009

We stayed here for 1 night on a Saturday. First let me say that in reviewing previous trip advisor reviews, you get some that say this place is horrible and others say it's great. I think I can explain. The Rodeway bought and remodeled a hotel that is across the street from the office and the hotel on that side. So if people are staying on the office side they hate it and if you stay across the street you like it. I stayed across the street in room 218. It was a basic queen room with balcony overlooking the pool and spa. The room is kinda small but more cozy then cramped. The room was very clean with all new fixtures and the shower was really clean and nice with no mold or anything like that. There is a 25" TV with remote and a combination A/C heater in the wall that worked well. There is no fridge or microwave in the room, but there is a micowave and ice machine in the hallway for everyone's use. There also is an elevator. There is no dresser to put your clothes in, but there is a closet. The pool was closed (it is November!) but the hottub was functioning and was very good. The people in the office were very nice, allowing us to late checkout (noon) with no problem. They also have free WIFI that worked fine in my room. The hotel is walking distance to the casinos (about 4 blocks) up a mild incline and about 2 blocks to the private beach. Overall, I would say that the Rodeway was more then fine for anyone looking for quick weekend getaway and want a very conveniently located clean and modern room. Just remember to be across the street from the office.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank StephenB916
Reviewed 4 September 2009

We stayed for 2 nights, we had never been to South Lake Tahoe and heading west to San Francisco, thought it would be fun to see a new place. The motel is close to the gondola and the casinos, but it is old and cheap!! The cleanliness of the motel was OK but again old. The bedding was horrible, you could feel the springs of the mattress, definitely no good night sleep. I probably would not stay again and would pay just a little more for a better place.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2009

This passed weekend my family and I took a little trip to Tahoe. We did some research online for hotels. We came across this place. Unfortunately we booked it. South Lake Tahoe is so beautiful we had a great time!! BUT this hotel, motel or Inn. what ever it is was HORRIBLE!! The beds were like sleeping on rocks. I had a headache every morning from sleeping in this bed. The room was old, nasty, uncomfortable, hot!! Need I go on?? The pool is very small and cold! The hot tub was half full. They have a small Chapel there, I wouldn't have my dog marry there!! Do your family a favor, go somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2009

We rented a queen non-smoking room (on the 2-story side). The bedroom, bathroom and kitchen were very clean. Yes, it was older, but had been moderately updated. The kitchen had items needed, including utensils and dishes. The frige was a little loud, but nothing that would irritate you. The bathroom was well stocked, the towels were clean, white and VERY soft, plenty of hotwater & overall a very comfortable stay. The bed was very comfortable and the sheets smelled clean. The complimentary breakfast was excellent! Great choices and the coffee was really good! The staff kept the food replenished. It was really quiet on our side for a Saturday night (maybe we were just lucky)! We kept the window open all night too. We will stay there again! Perfect location & the management was very nice. Great bang for your buck! It was a nice stay for a couple who needed to get out of their hometown and destress!!! Thanks!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple