“Better hotels available”

Ranked #37 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
CUPERTINO
“Better hotels available”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I had stayed in this hotel in August 2012. The experience then was much better. For starters, the price listed on Tripadvisor.com for ABVI is $34. When you are directed to their page, the price miraculously jumps up to $39.95. This is for the worst room. You have no option to select a better priced room for the 1-Queen sized bed category. When we went for breakfast, we were told that they were out of bowls since a long time and the bowls would be delivered but after the breakfast time. We were asked to eat the oatmeal in cups meant for drinking water. I took pictures of the oatmeal being poured into a cup for the Tripadvisor website, and lo and behold a large box of the bowls were suddenly found by them. They lost their reputation for being America's ""Best"" Value Inn. They also lost a returning customer for ever.

1 Thank VIJAY V
jamesclark1, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Casino Center Lake Tahoe, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for your online review. It's not often that supplies run short or even out in our business but it may happen. Sometimes thrifty hotel guests may take a stack or two bowls, plates, plastic flatware, coffee cups or anything else we leave out. We may not notice in time to avoid another guest being inconvenienced. I'm certian all of us have had a similiar experience where something normally offered at a particular business happens to be out. Please don't let something like that negatively effect your stay. I can assure you it was not deliberate or personal. Since you did not mention our excellent location, our comfortable guest rooms, our free wifi, free beach passes, free laundry and fitness rooms then I assume you found those areas satisfactory for your low rate of $39.95/night in Lake Tahoe... lol.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Pros: Good location for skiing. Continental breakfast a bit better than most in this classification.
Cons: Locked phone - could not make local calls, no coffee maker (or fridge or microwave), very hard lumpy queen bed, wifi virtually unusable on Sat night, only slightly better on Sun, grungy room, main wall sockets so worn they would not hold any phone charger plugs, broken bed light. We stayed in Building A.

Room Tip: Ours was Building "A", perhaps the other buildings are better?

Travellers are raving about these South Lake Tahoe hotels

san luis obispo, ca
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Giving this hotel 2 stars is probably generous, but it is an excellent budget choice. We stayed in a 2 king bed unit that was large and clean. Everything worked. The heating was very good and lots of hot water. The location is good in the stateline area. The beds were in very good shape. This is a budget hotel, so the towels are basic and the wi-fi internet was marginal on weekdays and worthless on weekends. Plan to use your 3G phone. The continental breakfast is considered minimal when being generous. It consists of toast , frozen waffles, or instant oatmeal and a couple of pieces of fruit. On the other hand, there is an area in the parking lot where you can wash, vacuum, and add air to the tires of your car. In all my travels, I have never seen this offering. The bottom line, an excellent budget choice.

1 Thank slocal
Pacifica, California
Reviewed 7 January 2014

A few friends and I recently stayed at Americas Best Value Inn to celebrate New Years in Lake Tahoe and found a great place to stay every time we come to Tahoe. Not only was the room clean and comfortable but completely affordable as well. Especially during the holidays when most hotels spoke their prices up to ridiculous amounts ABVI was still surprisingly affordable even during holiday nights. On top of great rooms and prices the hotel provides continental breakfast from 8-10am and is conviently close to the casinos and Heavenly resort. Every night my friends and I enjoyed a few drinks and we're able to walk back to the hotel in just a few minutes . Over all this hotel has great customer service and compared to other hotels close by it is the best place to stay for an incredibly reasonable price. My suggest for hotels in South Lake Tahoe is definitely Americas Best Value Inn!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Mireya16
Tenterden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Clean and comfortable stay in this 'budget' motel. The rooms are typical with usual amenities. The car park in this city is free to guests and includes a self car wash facilty and an air pump for tyres! There is no restaurant and very limited breakfast facilties. Our advice is stay here and walk 100 yards to the BW plus to purchase meals in the good attached restaurant. The location near to the shops and Nevada make this an ideal location for local cafes, shops and the gondola.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank George B
Sparks, Nevada
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Booked this hotel though Priceline had ok reviews when I had looked it up and booked it. when I checked in the desk person did not have much information and was not very helpful mostly because that was his first day of work and he was already by himself at the front desk. Then the front desk clerk would not honor the rewards card that I presented at time of check in that I had signed up for and received directly from Americas Best Value Inn web site. Once we were checked in me and my wife went up to the room. When we opened the door we were hit in the face by this horrible smell. It smelled as if someone had pissed in the corner of the room and no one had ever cleaned it up. Or maybe the worst gym locker room smell ever. The Room was not even the same as the pictures on line it was totally different. there was yellow stains on the pillows and pillow cases. The bed had stains all over it in a multitude of different colors. the furniture had been hand painted in a sloppy fashion and looked really bad. The TV was not the same TV that was advertised online. Black mildew stains in the bath tub and toilet. What appeared the be blood stain or something else red on the back of the bathroom door. The walls in this hotel are so thin that you can hear everything from anyone around you. And of course there was a large family next door that was so loud that when I was on the phone with Priceline trying to get a refund the lady on the other end could hear them. Unfortunately Priceline could not help me in my efforts to get a refund even after speaking with the hotel directly. I then went to the hotel clerk to try and receive a refund for the horrible room and he could not or would not do anything to help me out. After asking for the manager that was supposed to be there the manager refused to come speak with us about the problems. The front Desk clerk said they were completely booked and could not move us out of that room and the only thing he offered to do was to spray some air freshener in the room to help with the smell. Me and my wife may have been at this hotel at the most an hour and most of that was spent arguing to try to receive a refund. I was told I need to contact their corporate office for a refund but there is no phone number to contact them with a complaint you have to send an email and wait for them to contact you. This was a bad experience and would not recommended to anyone.

Room Tip: Dont ever stay here.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

jamesclark1, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Casino Center Lake Tahoe, responded to this review, 25 December 2013
Thank you for posting your comments online. I see this is your first review... we're honored... I think... LOL. Gee, I don't know how to respond to your statements. Number 1, I wasn't aware of your complaints so I assure you I was not avoiding you. Number 2, you booked your reservation via a 3rd party Online Travel Agency, if you educated yourself on the membership discount program then you would know that the discount only applies when you book a reservation via Vantage Hospitality or the hotel directly... we do not discount upon already highly discounted room rates. It's true, we have increased staff levels for the holidays but we have teamed them with experienced longer term employees. If you seen this new staff member alone I'm certain it was because the partner/trainer was taking care of some other hotel business like guest services and asked the trainee to stay behind at the front desk.

It's regrettable that you had such a negative experience at our hotel. I am not aware of any hotel rooms that match your description but we have likely offered you a different room if we were aware of your discomfort.

Thanks again for your review and Merry Christmas!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Clean and comfortable, especially for the price. Did I mention great location? Staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was more than I expected. I would recommend this place for a budget option and would stay again myself.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

jamesclark1, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Casino Center Lake Tahoe, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Thank you taking the time to post your review. We appreciate your compliments. Critical reviews provide us with useful information and direction while positive reviews affirm our mission to provide clean, comfortable and convenient rooms at the most competitive rates in our area. Thank you again and please contact us directly in the future for our guaranteed lowest room rates.