“Better than Home!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Heavenly Valley Lodge Bed & Breakfast
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
“Better than Home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

I am one of those people that 1st impressions are everything and when I am choosing a place to stay it takes me many hours to pick a place because of expense and praying the place is clean enough. Generally we are ski vacationers. My husband and I have stayed in many Hotels and Lodges for years. As soon as we registered, we got a warm welcome from Linda and her husband Johan. She showed us around the Lodge and other rooms. We stayed in room 105. It was an animal friendly place but I couldn’t tell that any animals had been there, and I have bad allergies. We had all the kitchen items we needed, and most importantly a wine bottle opener – LOL!. It was just enough space for the things we needed to bring with us for our ski trip. The bathroom was a little bigger than I thought. The fire place heated the whole place. It was so neat waking up in the middle of the night and seeing it on. It is an automatic one that was connected to the thermostat – I have to get me one of them! I sat comfortably on the bed and chair without any worries. Those of you who stay in places away from home know exactly what I am talking about. They didn’t spare any expense to make us comfortable. Along with a few drawers we had a closet like shelving compartment to put our clothes in, which was actually easier to see instead of stuffed in drawers. “What a unique idea.” This was truly the ideal place for us to stay and we will stay again when we come back to visit. Man, I wish I could take the bed along with the sheets and quilt home with me. I slept better there than I sleep at home. I loved the cozy feel of the place and the breakfasts were great. She made this egg thing one morning that was out of this world. The bus was literally a 1 minute walk from the B&B. “How convenient was that!”
Food store less than a 5 minute drive Thank you for giving me another family member so far from home – Kentucky. And Thank you Linda and Johan for a wonderful 1st experience in a Bed and Breakfast! We love you guys!

Room Tip: Room 105 was just enough space. But I don't really want everyone knowing so it will be available...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Carla S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Oakland, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

If you want: a super cozy room, a fireplace, kitchenette, CLEAN rooms, SUPER friendly and sweet owners, breakfast cooked fresh when you wake up, homemade cookies left for you, comfy bed, great location... The list goes on- These great folks Linda and Johan really took care of us. My wife and I had a great weekend despite the fact there was barely any snow on the ground- We actually stayed an extra night we loved the place so much. No lie. These people are hard working, caring individuals who spared no effort to ensure we had a great time. Also there's a friend of theirs up the road with a tubing run! FUN.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 15
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Boothbay Harbor, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

Johan and Linda have only owned this lodge for six months, but so far they are doing everything right. The property is extremely close to downhill skiing and Lake Tahoe Blvd, but it is nestled in a wooded setting that is just charming. The hospitality of these folks if unbelievable! I had no sooner checked in than Linda was scouring the internet for me to research XC ski opportunities (in fact, I think she did it BEFORE I even got here!). The next morning at breakfast (which was also spectacular), she was making phone calls to find the closest skiing spots and best places to rent skis. The morning after that she was calling around to find out about a tour I was interested in and then told me about some unbelievable shopping deals close by (85% off). As I was headed off to have fun she provided me with a snow scraper and told me to call if I had any trouble. Not to leave Johan out, he was very hospitable and has an extensive catalog of movies you can borrow.

The room, itself (Rm 104), was just right for one person. It was very cozy with a nice fireplace in the room and wood accents. The cookies on the bed every afternoon were a special treat. The room included a refrigerator, microwave, toaster and coffee pot. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in away from home.

The only slight negative was a bit of traffic noise, but it wasn't that bothersome and I'm sure it would be much worse on Tahoe Blvd. I will definitely be back to this wonderful home away from home. I come out this way every March, so Johan and Linda will be seeing me again!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

This lodge is run by a very nice and welcoming couple who do everything to make you feel at home. We stayed there for a skiing weekend over New Year's eve 2011/2012. We found home made cookies on our bed when we arrived. The next morning we had a truly awesome breakfast in the lodge with fresh fruit and ready made pancakes. The shuttle bus going to the Heavenly Gondola stops just in front of the lodge, which is extremely convenient. Linda and Johan also have connections to nearby ski rentals where you get discounts as a Heavenly Valley Lodge resident.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MK_SF
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

One of the best B&B in south lake Tahoe. Linda and family makes you feel at home. Love their hospitality. I have travelled a lot but have rarely seen people taking so much pain to make their guests feel at home. Love the pan cakes for breakfast.
And have to mention about their awesome movie collection!! Hope to visit soon.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Sonalisobti
Saratoga, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

We have just got home from a four-night stay at the wonderful Heavenly Valley Lodge and already miss it. The owners, Linda and Johan, make you feel as if you are family and visiting their home.

Each room is beautifully different but all so cosy and comfortable. I am missing the fireplace already. Nothing better than coming in from the slopes to a lovely warm fire. We stayed in the "Sunflower Escape" room which was perfect for the three of us. My daughter loved her bunk bed - cuddly animals and all! The way they have utilised the space so well, it is unbelievable. We had a little kitchenette with a microwave, fridge and coffee/tea making facilities which was perfect for a morning cup of tea or a late night hot chocolate. The TV was huge and we even had an iPod docking station.

The breakfast that they provide is out of this world. Not only do they have breads, pastries, yoghurts and fresh fruit...Linda cooked us something different everyday!! We had everything from French toast to egg bake, pancakes to hashbrowns! I have never been to a B&B that serves such a wonderful spread. We would often return later for a coffee and pastry and sit by the fire outside. Can you ask for a more perfect start to the day??

As far as location...you really could not ask for a better spot , especially if you are there to ski. The Heavenly shuttle picks up and drops off right outside the lodge! So we were able to just grab our skis and be at the California Lodge side in about five minutes and then at the end of the day just hop back on the shuttle and be at "home" in no time. (The shuttle also took you to the other slopes in just a few minutes more.)

Just one more story to make you want to go and stay here as soon as possible...my mother unfortunately took a tumble on the slopes and hurt her knee really badly and was unable to walk very far. The Heavenly ski patrol took her back down on the tram at the same time I had to pickup my daughter from ski school. I called Johan and Linda...and without hesitation Johan came and picked my mother up and took her back to the lodge to rest. How many people would do that? Not only that, Linda then checked on her throughout the afternoon and even brought her food.

Please, please go and stay at Heavenly Valley Lodge. There are so many little details I have missed out that made this place one of the best places to stay. These lovely people deserve all of the accolades they have received....and so much more. We will be going back for sure!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are gorgeous! The website shows the rooms really well.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank HWJ23
San Mateo, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Are there 6 stars!!! We lost the key to my car at Heavenly while parked at the California Lodge. When it didn't turn up in lost in found, I had to find a place to stay near by and found the Heavenly Valley Lodge!!!

It's right down the road and is run by the most wonderful couple, Yohan and Linda. I took the Heavenly shuttle down (maybe 3 minutes.) They were getting my room ready and recognized me as I got off the bus. Later in the evening I needed to head back to my car to get a few more bags out of it. I asked them for the best way to get a taxi... Yohan just drove me - and helped with moving my bags!

The breakfast is awesome with fresh fruit, fresh french toast and fresh bacon as well as all the standards in a continental breakfast. Internet connection is great - which isn't always the case in South Lake. The room is great with gas fire heating, an LCD TV, a great food area with fridge, sink and microwave. It's walking distance from several great restaurants and ski shops.

Turns out I had to stay there for a couple of days and Yohan and Linda kept making suggestions for things to do. I ended up going a boat tour of Tahoe with a dock 10 minutes away. Again, Yohan drove me - to AND from the dock!!! it was middle of the week so they may not have this much time all the time, but I've been completely blown away.

It's the only place I'll stay for trips to Heavenly!!!

Room Tip: For families, the have a few rooms with a queen bed for the parents and a bunk bed for the kids. Ye...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family