“icky!”

Motel 6 South Lake Tahoe
Ranked #51 of 65 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I realized the day of our weekend trip to tahoe that i had forgotten to book a room! so i jumped on motel 6 website knowing they'd most likely have a room last minute. Now, i'm nobodys fool, i know not to have high expectations but, wow. the people in the room next to us were smoking weed the whole time and the front desk said they couln't move us but "had some orange spray"..... so don't forget to book a room anywhere but motel 6 in advance before you take off the weekend to south lake.

*also the pool was closed cause they were painting the fence*

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank acphill

Reviewed 2 August 2011

this happens to be one of the worst hotels that i have ever stayed at.
the MOMENT i walked into the hotel room, i could see countless things
wrong with this room and hotel. The bed comforters are ugly as hell,
they look like they would be for a little child's bed. The room smelled
like nasty old people. We stayed in a room with 2 beds and they're
were only 2 towels in the bathroom. They should have more than that.
There were countless bugs in the room and when we looked under the
bed, it looked like they haven't cleaned it in many, many months. And ontop
of all of this, you have to pay for wifi. $2.99 for a ONE day pass for wifi is absolutely
ridiclous, most hotels have it for free which is what i would usually expect and prefer.
The front desk lady was rude. When we called her from the room to ask her a simple
question, she replied with attitude and an 'annoyed' tone. They made us walk to the front desk to get our extra pillows when we asked them if we could have some, they could've easily gotten off they're lazy butts and brought them to us, but no. They didn't even put the pillow cases on them, they made us do it. The rooms are small as hell, if you have more than 3 people with you on your visit, get a suite cause you definately sure won't be able to fit them all in here. OH & they're showers have rust in them and it doesn't look like they clean it very well. Well your welcome for letting you know how TERRIBLE this hotel is and how TERRIBLE our stay was. (:

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank yubacitygurl
Reviewed 25 February 2011

Neat place, usually you get a good deal; very close to the moutains and ski resorts; Denny's is close by and we got a discount coupon.
Stayed with friends - a nice/comfy stay for the price!
High speed internet available - though you need to pay a minimal amount

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank makarand_malu
Reviewed 17 January 2011

We stayed at Motel 6 for one night over MLK weekend while in Tahoe to ski. The room was clean which is my primary concern when staying at this type of hotel. As other reviewers have stated, the walls were fairly thin and you could hear traffic noise, but not enough to be deal breakers. The shower had hot water with good water pressure, but the sink had one of those water saver faucets so the water comes out like a sprayer and not a regular faucet which is annoying. The biggest drawback is that there really isn't anything in walking distance, except for a gross buffet restaurant that we did eat at unfortunately, and cabs can be hard to get in S. Lake. I'd stay here again, but only if there wasnt' something available closer to the center of town.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CAtraveller77
Reviewed 26 December 2010

Having discovered the special weekly price, I headed to a place I hoped would offer me time away from work, my needy family, and from day-to-day demands. Little did I expect that I would find not only the respite I needed--at an extremely affordable price--but there were discounts on nearby restaurants, a helpful, supportive staff, and attention to every detail of my stay--which allowed me to recharge my personal battery and obtain the balance and perspective I require to operate on overload nearly every day. As much as I love applauding So. Lake Tahoe Motel 6, I truly do not want it to be discovered by so many people that I will be unable to return to the quiet atmosphere and beautiful surroundings that it so easily provides to its guests.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank jimjcarl
Reviewed 16 October 2010

I've stayed in several Motel 6s in California and this is the best I've experienced. I've stayed a few times at this one over the last 10 years (summer/fall seasons).

I find it very affordable (for my mid-week mid-June stay it was $33/night + $6 in taxes, one person, that includes a discount for making the reservation online). This is a good 5 miles from the casinos, which I prefer (as I only go there once a day, max) -- it's much closer to Emerald Bay, Fallen Leaf Lake, Mt. Tallac, etc (all just north of The Y), and it is very close to the nearby Tahoe Keys marina if you're looking for a nice place to walk.

This visit I had quiet neighbors and I'm not bothered by street noise, which there was some. If you get noisy neighbors, then not ideal. There was plenty of parking for my mid-week stay of 3 nights (Tues-Fri)

I found the room clean and suitable: the bed was comfortable. However, I don't need fancy things, or a large room or large towels. So my 'suitable' mean the basics were covered.

If you have a dog with tender feet or arthritis, the stairs to the second floor rooms will be rough for them to use (I took the stairs barefoot once and the no-slip metal serrated surface was a challenge).

For the price I find this a really amazing value in a beautiful area so it gets 4 stars from me. Less if you get noisy neighbors, so bring earplugs. But, I've never had an issue requiring customer service...some other reviews suggest management is not good in that department.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank KH95060
Reviewed 15 October 2010

Very clean property. Not at a congested location, it seemed like an equal distance between the casinos and must-see Emerald Bay. This Motel 6 is across the street from a grocery store and about a mile or so from the airport. The mattress was firm. Noise was not a problem. Good value!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo