“Place has a long ways to go....”
Review of Blue Jay Lodge

Blue Jay Lodge
Ranked #43 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Shingle Springs, California
“Place has a long ways to go....”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I do not know where to start. I think a lot of the ratings might be tied to the price they paid for the room. I have seen a low of $39.00 to an outrageous $379/night! This all seems to be related to general room availability in the Lake Tahoe area. I paid $150.00/night.

Our room was located the "back section" - once upon a time this was two motels. Our particular room was the "King Suite". First thing when we opened the door to the room was the awful smell of smoke (all rooms are non-smoking) - finally realized that this was due to the fireplace in the room - don't know if someone tried a fire without the flue open or what. Furniture was OLD, well worn and mis-matched. Had a full sized headboard in front of a King bed! This room also had a large Jacuzzi tub in the main area - not sure I would use it. Entry wall tile on the floor was cracked and one tile was loose. Huge walk in closet and a dirty sofa. Carpets need replacing, not cleaning! Door poorly fitted - could see daylight. Shower had great water pressure but the sink was cracked! I could go on and on....looks like the new owners are trying, but may instead of a crummy job all around, maybe focus on one room at a time to revamp!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Medford, Oregon
Reviewed 23 July 2014

What can I say that's nice about this motel...
Staff was friendly and helpful. Room was below average. All of the furniture looked like something I sold at a yard sale after using for 20 years. One night stand, with one lamp. Busted lampshade. Small sitting table with one chair (there were two of us). Asked for 1:00 pm early checkin, got there at 3:00pm and maid was still in our room cleaning it. Had to wait.
Front desk didn't mention it wasn't ready when they gave us the keys. Very tight parking. Pool not open. No place to put luggage and no dresser. I should mention that we were placed in the "back" section of the motel , in what looks like it was a whole separate motel once, that is connected to the front section by a long, uneven hallway. Something else that I've noticed reading the reviews here: Everyone seems to be getting charged totally different prices! We were charged $89.00 (not including taxes), others show as low as $28.00 (???) And as high as $300.00+ (?). Seems very odd that the prices charged vary so widely. People checking in behind us paid $79.00!
Anyway, while the location is Great, and the staff was very friendly, doubt we would stay again!

• Stayed July 2014

Travellers are raving about these South Lake Tahoe hotels

San Anselmo, California
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Buyer be aware, you get what you pay for. I'm sure there are much worse motels, but this one is pretty disappointing.

I was in Tahoe for work. Planned to spend 2 nights.

Pro: I've been to Tahoe a number of times and feel pretty safe most of the places I go in the area. I did feel safe at this hotel. Didn't see any rifraf hanging around. The parking lot is well lit, but there are no street lights in pretty much the whole neighborhood. The street lighting issue is ot exclusive to this motel, it effects all the motels in the area. Just be aware.

Cons: I arrived around 10pm. Check in was through the night window. I'm not a fan of checking in via the night window, feel it's very unwelcoming. Property was ok. Could tell it was old and can use a paint job and walkways a good steam cleaning. Otherwise it was clean, no trash laying around. I just knew when I walked into the room this was not going to be good. Very old well used furniture. No desk chair. Only one chair in the room was at the other table, where one would expect 2 chairs. For a room that was rated for 4 people, ( 2 Queen beds), there was only one bath towel. The room looked clean, but had a very strong vibe of being dirty. It really reminded me of the bad hotel shows that reveal gross carpet and comforters. I really wished I had a box of Clorox wipes with me. I even washed the TV remote. Tried to charge my phone and laptop, but none of the electrical outlets in the room worked. Anyway, I could go on here. You get the picture. I'm not the only negative review, there's a few.

I was not feeling comfortable at this motel so decided not to stay the second night. I travel quite a bit and I've never done this before, but when I got home I washed all my clothes. Even the one's I didn't wear.

Anyway, just be careful, you get what you pay for.
Happy and Safe Travels!!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 415Cyclist
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

We are on the last night of a 4 night stay at Blue Jay Lodge. Everything has been ok. Check in was a breeze, nice staff. Room was ok. It had a strange smell when we first entered so we left the window open the whole time. Smell seemed to have come from air conditioning unit so we kept it off. Bathroom is pretty small, but it is clean. Beware for women who need counter space and vanity mirrors, this is definitely not the place for you. There are pluses like a nice flat screen TV, microwave and fridge. They also give a complimentary pass to the lakeside beach which is 3 blocks from the hotel.
Previous posts are correct about the parking situation (super hectic after 4pm), no water in the pool (but I believed other posts and didnt book based on amenities like that). The side street it is located on is just fine, never felt unsafe as there are many many hotels like this one surrounding the area. It is literally one street away from Harvey's and Harrahs casinos and a nice village with shopping and dining is on the other side of Lake Tahoe Blvd (5-10 min walk). Tonight (wed) is the first night we can hear noise (seems like a bar down the street may be playing music). Overall, you know what you are going to get for the price so it is just fine for a few night's stay.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed 13 July 2014

My husband and I recently took a 10 day roadtrip around Northern(ish) California in late June/early July of 2014. I used Trip Advisor extensively in selecting hotels for this adventure. This review is part of that vacation. This was the first night of our 10 day road trip. Lake Tahoe was going to be a brief stop on our trip and I wanted somewhere OK but didn't want to spend a lot on it because we were not going to be there that long. The room appeared to have been renovated recently but it was a somewhat sloppy job. The bathroom had a nice sink but no counter space. The bed was ok but nothing special. One of the biggest problems for me was the door. It had a decorative fan window which allows the light from the outside porch lights to come through. Had to cover it with some pillowcases. The parking was tight, at least where were in the main building near the office. I think we only paid $59 for the night so it was OK for that price just passing through. If you're staying longer than that, I'd look elsewhere I think.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My son had an ice hockey camp in SLT so we needed a place to stay Sunday through Friday. The Blue Jay seemed to fit the bill at only $44/night which was to include free WiFi, parking and breakfast. With just the two of us traveling, we didn't need anything fancy, just a clean place to sleep. This place is far from fancy, but is definitely clean. I'm not one that likes my room cleaned each day but they checked in with me each day to make sure I had what I needed (T.P., clean towels, etc.) One day I forgot to put the Do Not Disturb sign out in the afternoon and they cleaned, made the bed, refreshed the towels, etc. It is very close to Lakeside Beach, 5 minute walk at most and they give you free access as a guest. If you opt to take loads of stuff and need to drive, parking is $1 per half hour, maximum $10 per day. Lodge has a pool, but it was drained during our stay. I didn't inquire about it because we had no interest in swimming (very small pool too). The lodge is very nicely located at State Line, you can walk to all casinos (Harvey's is across the street) and to the Heavenly shops and gondola. We stayed 5 nights and were quite happy. We had a small fridge/freezer and a microwave, The fridge was perfect so I could pack my son a lunch each day instead of eating crap at the ice arena and I was able to keep ice packs in the freezer. The room did not have a dresser to unpack your items, which didn't bother me. I rarely unpack at a hotel anyway. The toilet & shower were in one room, sink in another and a separate closet with safe, hangers and luggage rack. There was no outlet near the table and chairs so I had to use my laptop on the bed to be able to plug it in, a little inconvenient. The door has a half moon with frosted glass but the light at nigh still pours in which was a little annoying. Overall, I'm very pleased with our stay especially for the price. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Krisco24
West Sacramento
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Took our family to see the fireworks at Lakeside Beach on the 4th of July in South Lake Tahoe. Rooms are very hard to come by but the price of $347 for two queen beds was ridiculous although normal price dfor a Friday night appears to be just a little less! Old hotel, no sound-proofing in the walls or ceilings (we could hear everyone around us and I am sure that they could hear us!), no black out drapes so we were awakened at the crack of dawn by the glaring sun light. Only contact with staff was at the front desk and she was very pleasant. Beds were reasonably comfortable. For the price, I would pay a little more and stay at a casino!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family