All reviewsgeneral storerum runnerbeachside innbeacon restaurantthe ice cream shopshower facilitiesthe main hotelgreat campsitepope beachbike ridesjet skiemerald bayfamily reunionlabor daypine treesshort drivegas fireplace
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Don't expect TV's, air-conditioning, telephones or WIFI. There are however a wide array of recreational activities and lodging options including: cabins, an historic hotel, marina/beach duplex, beach side inn, RV park and campgrounds. Also, lakeside dining, a general store as well as an ice-cream parlor. The Mountain Sports Center offers rental as well as hiking maps. My traveling companion and I had the Buick cabin with two bedrooms, each with a double & single bed. There was a pull-out couch in the living room and a full kitchen. The one bathroom had a rather small shower. Outside each cabin there is a grill which all our neighboring cabins seemed to utilize.
On the plus side we were steps from Lake Tahoe and only 50 feet from the back entrance to the historic Valhalla site. The narrow road from the hotel to all the cabins is only wide enough for one car. Luckily, we never had a problem getting to and from our cabin. If you are there with a family or need to relax, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Hope that your neighbors are not loud or have wild parties. Opening the windows at night let in the cool air and one needs a blanket.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

I was on a 5 week road trip with my family in July, and stayed 2 nights at Camp Richardson (Badgers Den campground). The facilities at the campground are really bad, and the owner should definitely spend some money fixing the place. During the 5 weeks we stayed at app. 25 different campgrounds in 8 different states, and Camp Richardson was, by far, the most disapointing experience. Not recommended!

Kjetil, Norway

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Kjetil M
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We stayed a night in the campground, which is ok. It is more expensive than a national park campground, and the sites are much smaller, but that part was ok.

What went wrong is that I wanted to go fishing, and had only few hours ahead of me. So I went to their Information center, were I was offered different solutions, including the Fallen Leaf Lake (beautiful!) and the Lake Tahoe itself. I pointed out my interest for pedalboat rental (we were three, and as we did before, that would allow my family to have fun while I catch the meal ;) ). It said that it was completely doable, gave me the info, and we headed to the marina.

When we arrived, the young lady that was in charge got us registered, and once everything was set, we went on the paddleboard. As soon as we were on it, another lady helped us go backwards and showed us the limits we were not supposed to cross: what a joke !!!! We couldn't go further than 50 feet, obviously not enough to fish, and just not enough to get away from the crowd and explore the area.

So 10 seconds after we got onboard, we were back to the registration desk to tell the lady that it was not going to work. She immediately said that there was no refund, that it was written on the form we signed and that she couldn't do anything. She even stated that there was no fish anyway in the lake.... After trying to discuss with her we just left, as she didn't want to even reconsider, stating that they had to pay a fee for the credit card (she was not using a terminal, what would it had changed if she canceled the rental ????). So we lost $30 out of the worst customer service possible !!

As a side note, we then went to the fallen leaf lake, and they also have a rental booth there. I talked with the guy and explained what happened, and out of nowhere the guy offered us to take one of his 3-people canoe for an hour for... free. Just because he wanted us to have a good day after all. Fortunately the world is not filled with brainless people !!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Maud_S_P
Reviewed 26 August 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights and camped at the rv park and had a great time. You can stay here a few days and not need to leave. The campground was very clean and nice and they have partial ofr full hookups and hot showers and flush toilets . There is a great restaurant and bar, very nice beach and hiking trails. Overall a nice place to relax for a few days, I will be going back soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We only went here to rent a speedboat from the marina which is the second time we have done this from here. The team are all excellent and offer you great advice for the trip and to ensure you do not da,age the boat which will cost you. Just take the advice it is well worth it. We only had an hour and a quarter but more than enough time to go round Emarald Isle which we stopped at and swam around in which was amazing. The beach here is also very good and a great place to relax in. Well worth the time and good value for money.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family