“DANGEROUS CAMPGROUND”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in South Lake Tahoe
Camp Richardson Resort
Ranked #27 of 65 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Reviewed 30 July 2009

We just got back from 3 nights at Camp Richardson in the campground. On the second night we were "visited" by 4 bears within a 4 hour period, rummaging in trash and neighboring coolers right in front of the campers. The bears were easily scared out of our campsite, but the last visitors were a mama bear and two cubs. Each campsite has a food locker and there are bear-resistant dumpsters by the bathrooms, but there are also regular push-lid trash cans by each bathroom door, which helped attract the bears. If anyone had gotten between mama and cubs at the bathrooms by accident it would have been very dangerous. Security agreed that this was a danger, but the trash cans remained the next night. The housekeeping people stated that everyone should just "know" not to put food in those cans. While I agree with others that this is a bare-bones campground with loud, drunken visitors and terrible facilities, I would NOT recommend this campground based on the lax bear precautions and attitude.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
8  Thank FlyingFishColorado

Reviewed 9 July 2009

Rooms really small with no amenities at all. Had to move cabinet where TV should have been to plug in cell phone to charge. No plug in's in bath room also. Priced way to high for what you got. The staff helped as much as they could. Town was not that far and prices were much better and more amenities.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cal-Ore2
Reviewed 23 June 2009

The service is okay although be prepared to pay for half your stay, non-refundable when making your reservation. The hotel is quaint and the cabins on the grounds looked nicer than the rooms. The room was tiny and the bathroom and closet even tinier. The room looks a little older, decorated in cabin style, but I was dismayed at finding a pair of socks that didn't belong to me right under the skirt of the bed. This made me question the overall cleanliness.

The property is right on the lake and there is a helpful general store on site that sells food and miscellany. I stayed here for a group function, but given the price, I could have stayed in a nicer hotel for about the same amount per night.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travellingbubs
Reviewed 10 November 2007

The resort is a beautiful place. We where there in quiet season, a peacfull place to be.

We stayed in a cabin, just up form the shore of lake Tahoe. The cabin was very comfortable & homely. The bathroom & living areas where clean, unfortunatly the kitchen was not so clean. We had to wash the pots & pans before using them & there where some mouse droppings in the low level kitchen cupboards.

On the whole we would reccomend this resort, as its location on the lake is perfect.

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank MatthewMDorset
Reviewed 20 August 2006

The general layout of this place is decent and the campground seems well kept. The main inn also looks rather nice - which is where we supposed to stay.

We went to stay there for a wedding, but when we arrived around 3 pm they had given our room away to someone not in the weeding party (even though we booked 2 months in advance and confirmed it twice).

After about 30 - 45 minutes of waiting, they offered us another room "closer to the water." The other room was in a cinder block motel structure - closer the water, but smelling like mold and trash. The window in the room was eye level with the parking lot of the bar next door. When we looked out the window, we saw a tailpipe.

Needless to say, we were disappointed, but we had to rush out to the rehearsal dinner. When we came back (around 9 pm), we went to the front desk and told them that we were unhappy with the accomodations and were not going to stay - at that point we had "occupied" the room for about 5 hours.

They refused to credit us a refund, claiming that we had informed them too late and they couldn't re-rent the room - I couldn't help but point out the irony that they had given us no notice at all that they had given away our original room. Their argument was that we should have let them know immediately and had no sympathy for the fact that their 45 minute delay in checking us in made us have to rush out the door to the dinner event.

After some very unprofessional letters (from them) and unreturned voicemails (from us) with no resolution, we finally turned the issue over to American Express to handle.

I would never stay at this place again - however 15 minutes down the road, there is a wonderful hotel called "Inn by the Lake." It was fantastic.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank spmartin
A TripAdvisor Member
Concord, CA
Reviewed 27 December 2005

I've been coming here for almost 10 years now and everything is always great when we come here. I saw reviews from the prudes talking about "loud drunks" while they were camping.. what do you expect at a cheap campsite in the middle of the summer? Any campground you go to is going to have a bunch of loud drunks, so these people need to stop being prudes and join in! Have a couple drinks with them! =) I'll be coming here probably in a couple of months and I know that it will be worth it, as it always is. The only downside is the price.. it's a little expensive, but it really is worth it.

• Stayed: March 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
California
Reviewed 2 August 2005

Went to Camp Richardson in July of 2004. Had such a good time, we booked for July of 2005. Paid deposits and everything was running smoothly. A family emergency caused us to have to cancel our 2005 trip just 3 weeks before we were due to arrive. Called the resort and was able to get a 50% refund for the cancellation. This is the standard policy. I asked about a full refund for extenuating circumstances. I was mailed a "Refund Request" form, filled it out and mailed it back. Was told I would hear back in 7-10 business days. 3 weeks went by, nothing. Started calling the management for information. In the 3 weeks after that, I made 10 calls to the Resort Manager and was told he was always in a meeting or on the phone and he would call back. Never did. Ended up calling to speak to the Resort Managers supervisor and was told it was not their policy to refund beyond the 50% I was entitled to. When I asked why I could not get a call back to hear this information from the Resort Manager I was told that it would be "looked into". I wont be waiting by the phone for a call back on that.
All in all our time at Camp Richardson was a whole lot of fun. The cabin was small but nice. The lake is right there, maybe 30 yards from our door A nearby restaurant and General Store are very convenient. Getting to a grocery store is a snap and the cabins are clean and fairly well stocked with what you need to cook. My family had a blast when we were there and were looking forward to going back from more fun in the sun at Lake Tahoe.
This experience with management has soured me a bit, I dont think we will be going back. Seems that as long as I paid my money and showed up, they were happy as a clam to accomodate my family. Once I had to cancel and was asking for money back, seems they didnt want to have anything to do with me. If thats how they want to treat their customers then I wont be back.

• Stayed: July 2004