“Nice boutique hotel in the heart of South Lake Tahoe!”

Basecamp South Lake Tahoe
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
San Francisco
“Nice boutique hotel in the heart of South Lake Tahoe!”
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Only had three weeks to plan a snow trip to Lake Tahoe. Did an extensive research before I settled with this hotel. The location was unbeatable. We've booked the Explorer room and everything was to my expectation. The room is on the 2nd floor and below us was the parking garage. It has pros and cons. We have two young kids and with no one under us, they can run around freely. However, the room upstairs is another room that was equipped with two bunk beds. Since the property was converted from a motel, the floor is pretty thin. So if there are kids up there jumping around, it'll rattle the whole ceiling. Suggestion to management: maybe put all bunk beds rooms on the 2nd floor above the garage? Anyway, besides the wall heater was not functioning well and rattled ceiling (when the kids upstairs jumped down from their bunk beds), everything else was working good. The staff (especially Alexia) were nice, courteous and helpful. They tried their best to fix our heater problem and gave us a portable heater when the wall heater wasn't functioning. Breakfast was great with fresh pastries, fresh oj and good coffee. We even made s'more by the firepit. All in all, it was a good stay.

• Stayed December 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
california
Reviewed 12 December 2012

My husband and I stayed for two nights this past weekend and we loved it! We were in Tahoe for our anniversary and got really excited to find a deal on groupon for this place. The property is just a few minutes walk from Heavenly Village and the lake, which is awesome. Everything is still new and shiny, and you can tell that not one detail was overlooked with this new design. The decor is fun and the communal lobby/lounge area is welcoming as soon as you walk in. Of course, none of this would matter if it weren't for the AWESOME staff. Everyone was friendly, social, helpful, and sincere. Alexia and Dan were great multi taskers, helping guests at the desk and maintaining the breakfast area, always friendly and observant. The only regret we had was that we left the day before it snowed! We can't wait to come back this summer. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer J
West Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 December 2012

The hotel is so great! Nice and refurbished rooms, really moderns, with a clean decor. The hotel staff is really friendly, and room is very clean. The breakfast is complimentary, but really poor from my point of view, but for the price (USD98.00 per night) it was ok. The hotel is really good located, from a 5 minute walk from Heavenly Gondola (Mountain for Ski).

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StefanoPeGr
San Rafael, California
Reviewed 4 December 2012

My friend invited me to join her for two days and I had NO idea what to expect. Well I was pleasantly surprised. When we arrived and stepped into the lobby, we were WOWED! The decor was simple, innovative and cozy. The person at the front desk, Dan, was super helpful and really nice about every question or need we presented him. Though we were a bit sad that we did not get a room with a fireplace, we really loved our room. The decor was cool - original art work, ipod dock, good quality bath products, and soft carpet were highlights. After a wonderful night's sleep in a comfy bed with linen that made me feel at home, we headed down for the "continental breakfast"... Basecamp has fresh baked local pastries and bagels..fresh cream cheese and peanut butter options, oatmeal and granola with awesome (homemade?) yogurt, quality orange juice and yummy coffee. Alexia whipped us up two yummie lattes on the second morning. She was also great at helping to plan out our activities for the day, and is just a really sweet person to talk to. GO!! ENJOY! Get in the hot tub! Thank you!

Room Tip: King room with balcony was awesome..there are some with fireplace too.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank elpirata9
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 November 2012

I had been wanting to stay here since I first heard that the old Block hotel had been converted, and I was not disappointed. The boutique hotel is a welcome change of pace from the big casinos and rundown motels in South Lake.

I loved the lobby and the whole look of the place. I've never hung out in a hotel lobby before, and my boyfriend, friend and I ended up watching a football game and drinking beers from the bar for about an hour, while talking to the friendly staff.

The location is right by all the hustle and bustle of South Lake Tahoe, and I was in awe of the design touches all weekend. They have great extras like a smores bar and hot tub on the roof, but I didn't get a chance to check those out. Next time!

We will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank maloriejae
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Basecamp is an excellent option for a visit to Lake Tahoe. Upon check-in, I found myself in a themed room called The Great Indoors. It had a feel of camping in the beautiful Tahoe wilderness with with modern luxuries of a hotel. The bed had a canvass tent over it and the walls were wallpapered with wilderness landscapes. There was a fire pit (fake) to give that extra camping feel. The room was clean, comfortable and provided a great complement to my trip. The staff was very welcoming and attended to every need. The lobby bar was very cozy and the property is walking distance to all the major Tahoe attractions. My next visit to Lake Tahoe will definitely bring me back to Basecamp Hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank fellowtraveler1
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Basecamp Hotel rocks. Great service, comfortable and clean rooms (with funky touches), yummy breakfast snacks, and great leather couches to sprawl out in! Highly recommended, especially if you're looking for a real mountain experience with the comforts of home.

Room Tip: If you want to feel like you're camping in the great outdoors, ask for the room with the tent ov...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business