“Nice & clean, but not the best choice for everyone”

Basecamp South Lake Tahoe
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
“Nice & clean, but not the best choice for everyone”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We (2 adults + 1 dog) stayed 1 night in the 2 Fulls room as summer was heating up (85+ degree days). We were on the first floor, no balcony and no view.

We arrived very early, so even though I knew that check-in was at 4pm, we decided to see if our room was ready or would be soon before heading to the beach. I was told no and that it wouldn't be ready until 4 because they had been completely booked the night before. But I was offered "priority" and told they would call me if it was ready early. Pleased, we decided to take advantage of the short walk to the beach - only to discover when we got there that dogs weren't allowed. So we walked back to the car and drove to the next beach over that does allow dogs. We were tired, so returned to the hotel shortly after 3 we were told "oh yeah, the room's ready." Never got a call. Some priority. We tried a different hotel for our next (and final) night. Besides that, here are my pros and cons (the cons were not a big deal to me, but I mention them because they might be a deal breaker for someone else):

Pros:
Very close to Heavenly Village shopping/restaurants, casino, Van Sickle Bi-State Park, and (no dogs) beach (Note: you get a voucher from the hotel for the beach)
Clean & maintained room
Nice decor
Comfortable beds
Quiet - either thick walls or we had quiet neighbors
Free wi-fi (seemed a decent speed, but I only used it from my phone)

Cons:
No A/C - we were okay with the 2 fans and windows open, but I could see it getting very hot
No swimming pool
Only about 20 TV channel options
Small shower with so-so water pressure
No power outlet near bed unless you unplug the lamps or clock (a little annoying because I like to charge my phone within reach)
The bagels and pastries offered at the complimentary breakfast were bland and dry (and no fruit??)

Additional amenities we didn't partake in: evening fire pits with s'more kits (for a fee), bar, rooftop hot tub

Conclusion: Definitely a nice and clean place to stay if you plan to spend almost all of your time outside the hotel room itself, but make sure you can stand the heat if you go at the peak of summer. If you want to bring a dog, make sure you're staying at least a few days, otherwise the $40 pet fee isn't worth it. Seems to be ideal for those with sports equipment, as they have space outside your room to keep equipment; otherwise, personally, for the price I would like a few more comforts besides cleanliness - after all, the neighboring hotels obviously offer the same location benefits. So if you would too, I suggest looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: $40 one-time pet fee, but the nearby beach doesn't allow dogs
2 Thank Kay_in_Cali

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This was a great place to relax. Loved the updated amenities and the bar area. The bed was super comfy. Not far from the water and plenty of places to eat near by. Close to local Tahoe Rim Trail and just beautiful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Like the other reviewers in the "Average" to "Poor" section: I was SO excited upon finding this hotel and booking based on reviews and website. My husband kept trying to get me to find something "cheaper" but I INSISTED that this place was cute and different - "an experience", I proclaimed! An "experience" it was, indeed.

Here are the pros and cons:

Con #1. As stated by others, the room is HOT. So much so, that on top of the ceiling fan installed, there was a stand alone fan in the closet. While I appreciated the effort, what I didn't understand is that through my bathroom window I could see another similar style hotel - with A/C! "If they can, why can't they?!" I kept asking my husband.

Con #2. The showers were designed by men. Men who don't use anything besides liquid soap, shampoo and conditioner. There were NO shelving of any kind. And the ledge on the floor between the floor and the shower is tilted. Bar soap had to stay on the floor and kept in it's little cardboard box so it wasn't lying directly on the shower floor (because - ew), and all my little shampoo, conditioner, body soap and razor kept sliding off the itty bitty tilty ledge. Ugh!

Con #3. The shower spray is not adjustable and hits the shower wall directly in front at a height of about four and a half feet. Not a problem unless you are me: 5'2". I wanted to wash off my body and not get my hair wet, but if I stood in the spray path, it hit my face. So I had to stand either behind it or beside it. Additionally, the shower is 3'x3'. I accepted the challenge begrudgingly.

Con #4. I paid for a "Fireplace Room" and was looking forward to my "Fireplace Room" for weeks. We finally arrived from our 3 hour drive, got settled in, and I just couldn't get it to turn on. I went downstairs and inquired and was shocked when they said, "oh, we turned them all off the day before because it was too hot in the rooms." 1. I am OK with that considering that it is already hot and any added heat would have for sure killed me. However, (2) why didn't you mention this either before I arrived or at check in!?!?!

Pro #1. The bonfires are super adorable and adds to the coziness of the hotel theme.

Pro #2. Morning coffee/breakfast: I liked that they had not only paper coffee cups for taking back to the room and drinking coffee while getting ready, but also ceramic cups. It gave it an inviting feel and I enjoyed sitting by the fireplace in the cool morning drinking my second cup of coffee after getting ready for the day.

Pro #3. The theme and overall decor of the hotel is cute and I did appreciate that.

Pro #4. We came for a concert and YOU CANNOT GET CLOSER to the venue! Holy geez that was a great little surprise!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 960melissab
Amanda J, General Manager at Basecamp South Lake Tahoe, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Melissa B,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay. While I am happy to hear you loved our decor, breakfast and convenient location, I terribly sorry that we fell short of your expectations in other areas. Due to our elevation of over 6,000 ft, we typically only have a handful of hot days in Tahoe. We do offer two fans in each room to help improve circulation, and nights stay cool with an average temp of 55 degrees. I am sorry you were disappointed that your fireplace was not working upon arrival. We do extinguish all fireplace pilot lights in the summer months, but we certainly could have lit it for you had we known. Also, please know we adjust rates on our Fireplace Rooms so they are priced the same as our Standard Rooms in the summer months when the fireplaces are not in use. Regarding the showers, we offer our full-sized signature bath products mounted on a dispenser in each shower to help maximize space. We also offer a limited number of rooms featuring bath tubs rather than showers. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 530-208-0180 or via email at amanda@basecampjotels.com should you wish to further discuss your concerns. I hope you will give us a second chance the next time your travels bring you to Tahoe!

Best,
Amanda
Fresno, California
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We just came back from our stay at the Basecamp Hotel in South Lake Tahoe. My sister and I traveled with three kids and we really couldn't have asked for more. Well except maybe an elevator ;-). The room was clean and cozy. It was really close to everything. The kids loved the smokes . All the staff I encountered were so friendly and nice. My son can't wait to go back next year. It was our first time in Lake Tahoe and we were won over by the beauty and our wonderful stay at the Basecamp Hotel.

Punta Gorda, Florida
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Very friendly and welcoming. Decent,clean and updated room. Nice roof top hot tub and fire pit seating area. Big screen TV in lobby with comfortable sitting area. King bed very comfy with down comforter. 4 star for a 3 star price. A block away from Harrahs and Tahoe resort Village. Great free breakfast pastries from local bakery

Room Tip: Try to get upper floor.
bruges
Reviewed 21 June 2014

hip and clean. what a fantastic place! simple design, clean and hip, with comfortable beds, free delish simple breakfast, coffee by a firepit and an bar and lounge area for a drink. my balcony room was perfect after a 8 hour trip to the area. while it is not on the beach, and there is a lot of new, huge developments around the hotel, you are a 7 minute walk from a beach and are hopefully spending your days on the mountains or in town anyway. i stayed here for one night and then moved to another hotel for a wedding and wish i had booked all three here!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank erikabernabei
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This place should be a model for a small boutique style Hotel/Motel, I seriously wanted to bottle everything from the décor to the atmosphere and bring it home with me. The staff were some of the best I've ever experienced, mad props to Kevin (who recently moved to the area from our homestate of MA) and Satchel (spell?) for going out of their way to recommend places to eat, hike and explore. They were friendly, approachable and chipper which can sometimes be rare at hotels.

The rooms themselves were hip, decorated in an outdoorsy vibe all while maintaining class and top notch amenities. Yes you can hear the room above or people walking down the halls but thats an experience. 1 of our rooms had an amazing balcony with Adirondack chairs which we loved. The smores at night are a must (as is the rooftop hot tub) and my only complaint is the breakfast foods go fast so you have to time your visit just right so you can catch the baker bringing in homemade and hot pecan rolls which were out of this world.

A+ hotel with an A+ staff, I'm very excited their expanding and opening up a restaurant and beer garden by August.

Room Tip: Go for the balcony room, larger and have a pretty decent sized deck to enjoy the sunset on.
1 Thank Matt C