“So wanted to love it!”

Ranked #15 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Pacifica, California
“So wanted to love it!”
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

First of all, let me say I really was looking forward to our stay here. So many great reviews, pictures were off the hook and it looked like it was going to be a great find. I was so disappointed...

First the pros: The hotel is cool. Our room was nice and clean. The patios, lobby and bar are fun and the jacuzzi and fire pits we're great. Bar is reasonably priced and the staff was great. It's a fun property with a outdoor lifestyle vibe. The location is fantastic, right near the Heavenly and Marriott activities and about three blocks from the beach. Overall, not a bad place.

Now the cons: NO AIR CONDITIONING. For $190 a night, I assumed AC. Yes, there was a ceiling fan and the desk provided an additional fan, but with all the fans running, I felt like I was sleeping in an airplane, which means I did not sleep well... Only one chair in the room and we had to use it to get the fan up to the window, so there are not many places to sit. The parking lot was small. This would not have been a big deal, but we had two cars and they only have room for one per room. Bring extra pillows, there were only two in our room for three of us. Breakfast was a basic continental - NO protein...

Bottom line: good location, fun hotel but not as comfortable as it could be. I can overlook the simplicity of the motel, but for the price, not having AC was a real negative for me. That said, it appeared to have a heater so a winter stay might be the best option.

Suggestions: Get an upper floor room so that when you open the windows you can get a cross breeze. The ground floor rooms are blocked by neighboring buildings and the air is too still and stuffy. Get a room with a balcony for a more enjoyable stay.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank jp4a
Amanda J, General Manager at Basecamp South Lake Tahoe, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear jp4a,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us. While it sounds like you enjoyed the hotel overall, I'm sorry to hear we didn't meet your expectations in a few areas. Unfortunately, we do not have AC. This is in part to reduce our impact and also because of the moderate daytime temps that rarely top 80 degrees and cool nights with temperatures in the 40's at our elevation of over 6,000ft. As you mentioned, we do provide both ceiling and floor fans in all the rooms to help improve circulation. In terms of parking, we are able to accommodate one car per room. Additional complimentary parking is available directly across the street at Harvey's. We also have plenty of extra pillows on hand, so please be sure to ask next time as we would have been happy to deliver as many as you would like to your room. All things considered, I really hope you will give us another chance the next time you are in Tahoe.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
San Ramon, California
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This is our second stay at Basecamp. The interior and exterior decor is fantastic, outdoorsy with a Nor Cal vibe. All staff are excellent, lots of suggestions as to what to do, places to eat. On our first visit we rented a room with 2 queen beds. Above each queen bed there was a twin loft style bed, a great set up for larger families. On this visit we had a room with two full beds, fine but a bit smaller. The hotel has a very reasonably priced Happy Hour, fun to enjoy drinks out on their deck or up on the roof top deck. Bring your swim suit as there is a hot tub on the roof top deck! There is the option to purchase s'mores to grill on their outdoor fireplace.
Breakfast is included, they have delicious fresh items from a local bakery ( bagels, small croissants, various muffins and Danish pastries , juice, yoghurt granola, oatmeal, fruit, coffee and tea. We would definitely return when they open their new section of the hotel with the beer garden. Rooms do not have air conditioning but there was a ceiling fan and a large fan on a stand to keep the air circulating.

Room Tip: The rooms with a balcony seem to be larger.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Sandhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Excellent location where you can walk to all of the attractions of casinos, & restaurants at the Heavenly gondola area which is very attractive. Entertainment of various sorts are also available for kids by the gondola. You can walk down to the lakeside beach. The staff were excellent, the fire-pit was lit dusk to 10pm & spa tub 10am-10pm, & a basic breakfast. You can rent a small fridge or put your food in their large commercial fridge. Bathroom good size, super shower & toiletries & immaculate. Comfortable bed, poor lighting. Our room was no. 109 which was on the ground floor in the corner & very dark. Didn't like position of our room, but others on 2nd floor with balconies were probably a lot better. At present the whole block at the front of hotel is being developed making it dusty & noisy during the day. The guests tended to be super-fit cyclists & walkers.

Room Tip: Rooms on first floor with balcony are much nicer than ground floor ones.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dabblings
Schertz, Texas
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We ( family of 5) stayed in two rooms and loved our experience here. The rooms were clean, and beautifully decorated. The bed was super comfortable and the balcony allowed for some wonderful morning and evening relaxing visits. I appreciated the soap and shampoo & conditioner already in the shower. The breakfast was a good variety of food and drink and the staff went above and beyond to make our stay memorable. We enjoyed the fire pit area at night and the s'mores were a big hit! So close to the beach and Heavenly we never drove anywhere! Would recommend this place to anyone traveling who wants something a little different than the standard hotel. The amenities, staff and overall vibe of the place will bring us back again and again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank vdwfamilia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We (2 adults + 1 dog) stayed 1 night in the 2 Fulls room as summer was heating up (85+ degree days). We were on the first floor, no balcony and no view.

We arrived very early, so even though I knew that check-in was at 4pm, we decided to see if our room was ready or would be soon before heading to the beach. I was told no and that it wouldn't be ready until 4 because they had been completely booked the night before. But I was offered "priority" and told they would call me if it was ready early. Pleased, we decided to take advantage of the short walk to the beach - only to discover when we got there that dogs weren't allowed. So we walked back to the car and drove to the next beach over that does allow dogs. We were tired, so returned to the hotel shortly after 3 we were told "oh yeah, the room's ready." Never got a call. Some priority. We tried a different hotel for our next (and final) night. Besides that, here are my pros and cons (the cons were not a big deal to me, but I mention them because they might be a deal breaker for someone else):

Pros:
Very close to Heavenly Village shopping/restaurants, casino, Van Sickle Bi-State Park, and (no dogs) beach (Note: you get a voucher from the hotel for the beach)
Clean & maintained room
Nice decor
Comfortable beds
Quiet - either thick walls or we had quiet neighbors
Free wi-fi (seemed a decent speed, but I only used it from my phone)

Cons:
No A/C - we were okay with the 2 fans and windows open, but I could see it getting very hot
No swimming pool
Only about 20 TV channel options
Small shower with so-so water pressure
No power outlet near bed unless you unplug the lamps or clock (a little annoying because I like to charge my phone within reach)
The bagels and pastries offered at the complimentary breakfast were bland and dry (and no fruit??)

Additional amenities we didn't partake in: evening fire pits with s'more kits (for a fee), bar, rooftop hot tub

Conclusion: Definitely a nice and clean place to stay if you plan to spend almost all of your time outside the hotel room itself, but make sure you can stand the heat if you go at the peak of summer. If you want to bring a dog, make sure you're staying at least a few days, otherwise the $40 pet fee isn't worth it. Seems to be ideal for those with sports equipment, as they have space outside your room to keep equipment; otherwise, personally, for the price I would like a few more comforts besides cleanliness - after all, the neighboring hotels obviously offer the same location benefits. So if you would too, I suggest looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: $40 one-time pet fee, but the nearby beach doesn't allow dogs
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kay_in_Cali
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This was a great place to relax. Loved the updated amenities and the bar area. The bed was super comfy. Not far from the water and plenty of places to eat near by. Close to local Tahoe Rim Trail and just beautiful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Like the other reviewers in the "Average" to "Poor" section: I was SO excited upon finding this hotel and booking based on reviews and website. My husband kept trying to get me to find something "cheaper" but I INSISTED that this place was cute and different - "an experience", I proclaimed! An "experience" it was, indeed.

Here are the pros and cons:

Con #1. As stated by others, the room is HOT. So much so, that on top of the ceiling fan installed, there was a stand alone fan in the closet. While I appreciated the effort, what I didn't understand is that through my bathroom window I could see another similar style hotel - with A/C! "If they can, why can't they?!" I kept asking my husband.

Con #2. The showers were designed by men. Men who don't use anything besides liquid soap, shampoo and conditioner. There were NO shelving of any kind. And the ledge on the floor between the floor and the shower is tilted. Bar soap had to stay on the floor and kept in it's little cardboard box so it wasn't lying directly on the shower floor (because - ew), and all my little shampoo, conditioner, body soap and razor kept sliding off the itty bitty tilty ledge. Ugh!

Con #3. The shower spray is not adjustable and hits the shower wall directly in front at a height of about four and a half feet. Not a problem unless you are me: 5'2". I wanted to wash off my body and not get my hair wet, but if I stood in the spray path, it hit my face. So I had to stand either behind it or beside it. Additionally, the shower is 3'x3'. I accepted the challenge begrudgingly.

Con #4. I paid for a "Fireplace Room" and was looking forward to my "Fireplace Room" for weeks. We finally arrived from our 3 hour drive, got settled in, and I just couldn't get it to turn on. I went downstairs and inquired and was shocked when they said, "oh, we turned them all off the day before because it was too hot in the rooms." 1. I am OK with that considering that it is already hot and any added heat would have for sure killed me. However, (2) why didn't you mention this either before I arrived or at check in!?!?!

Pro #1. The bonfires are super adorable and adds to the coziness of the hotel theme.

Pro #2. Morning coffee/breakfast: I liked that they had not only paper coffee cups for taking back to the room and drinking coffee while getting ready, but also ceramic cups. It gave it an inviting feel and I enjoyed sitting by the fireplace in the cool morning drinking my second cup of coffee after getting ready for the day.

Pro #3. The theme and overall decor of the hotel is cute and I did appreciate that.

Pro #4. We came for a concert and YOU CANNOT GET CLOSER to the venue! Holy geez that was a great little surprise!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 960melissab
Amanda J, General Manager at Basecamp South Lake Tahoe, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Melissa B,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay. While I am happy to hear you loved our decor, breakfast and convenient location, I terribly sorry that we fell short of your expectations in other areas. Due to our elevation of over 6,000 ft, we typically only have a handful of hot days in Tahoe. We do offer two fans in each room to help improve circulation, and nights stay cool with an average temp of 55 degrees. I am sorry you were disappointed that your fireplace was not working upon arrival. We do extinguish all fireplace pilot lights in the summer months, but we certainly could have lit it for you had we known. Also, please know we adjust rates on our Fireplace Rooms so they are priced the same as our Standard Rooms in the summer months when the fireplaces are not in use. Regarding the showers, we offer our full-sized signature bath products mounted on a dispenser in each shower to help maximize space. We also offer a limited number of rooms featuring bath tubs rather than showers. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 530-208-0180 or via email at amanda@basecampjotels.com should you wish to further discuss your concerns. I hope you will give us a second chance the next time your travels bring you to Tahoe!

Best,