“So Glad I Finally Did This!”

Marriott's Timber Lodge
Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Amherst, Virginia
“So Glad I Finally Did This!”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

My mom has several weeks with Marriott and had been begging me to use one or more of them. I finally had the opportunity to do so on a recent business trip to South Lake Tahoe where I stayed in Marriott's Timber Lodge. Though the lodge is lovely, and the location incredibly beautiful, it was Marriott's people, and frankly everyone I encountered in the town as a whole, which made this week so pleasant. If even one old grouch ever lived here, they ran him off some time ago. In addition to the very nice suite, I can also say that I found a range of activities, at little or no cost, to participate in while I was here. I took a nature hike and sampled olive oils (both free) and did a beer tasting (for a whopping $5). I might have done more, but it WAS a business trip. Parking is only valet, but getting a car never took more than a minute or two. The gondola station for the ride up to Heavenly is adjacent, as is a lot of great eating, drinking and shopping. Mom is looking for a place to take one or more of my skiing siblings. I've told her that Tahoe is the place to go. Others have complained about noise. I never heard a thing.

Room Tip: They told me that pool-view was considered the best, so that's what they gave me. Not all suite...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Kerry S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Healdsburg, CA
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We come several times a year to Timber Lodge, and always have a wonderful stay. This time, we had a two bedroom for a week in late October, and another week in a two bedroom a couple of weeks later. The October week featured gorgeous sunny Fall weather (20s at night, 60s daytime) and one beautiful snowfall, while the November week was not quite as sunny, but still great for exploring and hiking.

The villas were in excellent condition, and for a few days the first week we had 5 family members there, which was fun, and not too crowded. The "Bi State" park directly behind Timber Lodge has many trails to explore without even taking the car out, and the skating rink opened while we were there the first week as well. Pools/hot tubs were warm/hot, and staff friendly and helpful as always. We own at a couple of other Marriott Vacation Clubs, and the elimination of the midweek "tidy" is not unique to Timber Lodge. However, they will replace all towels one time at no charge during your week. Just give them a call. Valet service was outstanding, rarely a wait.

Room Tip: We like 3rd floor pool view
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank annkr
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Stayed a weekend in late September. Booked a two bedroom suite which is a one bedroom suite adjoined to a one bedroom room. The room(s) exceeded our expectations. Full kitchen with a washer and dryer, dining table, living room with gas fireplace, bathtub next to bed, and walk in shower. Location is perfect. Walking to shops, dining, casinos, and Heavenly gondola (usually closes at end of September). You can park yourself or use valet. They are very quick at retrieving your car. Check-in was painless. Concierge desk will help you with anything and everything. At $300 a night, it isn't cheap, but it was worth it. There is cheaper, but I don't think better.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank IYSAYKIWYT
los angeles
Reviewed 17 November 2013

This hotel is fantastic....great rooms, great property, adorable little village...

the concierge and staff were phenomenal and super friendly and patient and never gave the slightest hint that we were epically annoying, and I am sure we were.

My 18th mos old was obsessed with the cub's room and also running around the lobby, but no one ever complained or made a face, etc.

Great restaurant recommendations (we loved Riva Grill, check the review) and also help with planning our week during the offseason.

Very spacious room, comfy bed, my son loved the jacuzzi bath etc.

For me the real downer here (even though still giving 4 stars) is that we stayed on a timeshare exchange week...as we have done MANY times to MANY Marriott properties. This is the first time we did not get a free once-a-week maid service for the room....we were told the board of directors for the resort voted to eliminate this option and if you wanted cleaning service you had to pay for it (i think $26 per clean, but that is off the top of my head so I could be wrong). I just thought that was really lame...

Other than that, I have nothing but glowing things to say about this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Mount Holly, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We are Marriott Platinum Members and used points to stay in a one bed room suite. Very cozy with a fireplace and full kitchen. The sofa is another bed so it would be great for families. The bed was very comfortable. The staff was outstanding from the time we dropped our car to the time we left. The location is perfect and as mentioned the heavenly Gondola was closed until ski season starts. Easy walk to Harrahs and Harvey's although if you have any walking issues Harvey's is a little bit further away.
Be sure to take a few hours and drive around the lake. Go around clockwise so the lake is always on the right side.
There are lots of shops and a Starbucks near the hotel as well. Starbucks can be really crowded in the morning and we were there in the off season so plan accordingly.
Use the humidifier in the room as it was quite dry in November in the room. Excellent service and room made this stay outstanding!

Room Tip: We had a pool view and it was fine, Mountain view maybe better.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Piseu
Brentwood, California
Reviewed 7 November 2013

First off, what a great group of people working here.
My 8 bffs and I had fun every morning in the pool with all 3 water exercise teachers - we enjoyed their friendly nature to us. It is pleasant to see wonderful young women and men enjoying the beginning of their careers with the Marriot - they spoke VERY HIGHLY of working there.
When we pulled into the Timber Lodge-the valets completely unpacked the top of our vehicle and then when we left...BAM! our car was repacked in a minutes time. Although we were cramped, we still enjoyed each other's company.
....it would be nice to have NO SMOKING on premises....just sayin...

Room Tip: Our rooms were just perfect!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Karen S
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 3 November 2013

What a beautiful resort! We are visiting during the first week of November so the Gondola at Heavenly is closed for annual maintenance but we have a beautiful view of the mountain from our 1 bedroom suite in the Timber Lodge in the Alpine building. Our original reservation was incorrect so we spent one night in a "hotel room" at the lodge but even that wasn't torture...They fixed everything first thing the next day. The staff and service are absolutely amazing! We are enjoying the fireplace in our suite but will later be enjoying the fire pits down by Fire & Ice restaurant / bar. We've walked to Harrah's & Harvey's casinos, we're not really casino people, but enjoyed the people watching nonetheless. (Cabo Wabo...don't waste your time) We plan on enjoying the lunch cruise on the Bleu Wave Yacht but make sure if you want to do the dinner cruise that you book early as it's only available on Friday & Saturdays.. There are 4 hot tubs not to be missed at the resort...freezing air & 104degree tubs plus 84 degree pools are a great way to end the day! Kathleen at the concierge desk is a veritable cornucopia of info!! Eric & Tucker at the front desk have been very helpful also. There's so many things in walking distance...shopping, eats...(Mr. P's Pub right across the street serves amazing bloody marys!) Drive to the Tahoe Keys for oysters on the half shell at Fresh Ketch then take a short hike down to the lake. DO NOT miss the 19th floor dinner & view from Harvey's kitchen & cocktail bar!! The view is to die for!! We love Marriott properties & this one is no exception. Come here...Stay here..

Room Tip: Rooms w/ view of the mountain or view of pool area...higher floor
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank masher02
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Lake Tahoe
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Harrah's Lake Tahoe
#1 of 9 in Stateline
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,050 reviews
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe

Been to Marriott's Timber Lodge? Share your experiences!