“Great hotel”

Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Davie, Florida
“Great hotel”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

The Timber Lodge is one of the nicest hotels we've ever stayed in. The staff is all laid back, but competent and helpful. The grounds are beautiful, especially in the winter. There are good restaurants on the premises, and many things to do even if you are not a skier. Everything, except for the skiing though, seemed reasonably priced. It is also close to Harrah's and other restaurants and attractions.

The room itself is very nice and cozy. It has a electric fireplace and a nice view of the pool. It is equipped with a full kitchen and pull-out couch. The only drawback is that there is no room service. Overall, I would definitely recommend this place!

2 Thank PMK0118

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Long Island, New York.
Reviewed 23 January 2014

The Marriott Timber Lodge is situated at the base of the Heavenly Ski resort. The gondola is literally steps from the hotel's back door accessible from the hotel lobby. The hotel has a large outdoor, heated pool and hot tubs in a private courtyard that the hotel is built around. The sun shines beautifully on the pool from morning to night. The pool is gated and only the Marriott's room cards can access the gate. The hotel is walking distance to many shops and some restaurants as well as Harvey's hotel and casino, Harrahs hotel and casino is located right next door. We dined at a fabulous restaurant on a golf course overlooking Lake Tahoe named The Edgewood. This restaurant is approximately 1/2 mile from the Marriott Timber Lodge. Excellent food and atmosphere.
Parking at the Marriott Timber Lodge is either self parking across the street, or by valet parking.
Housekeeping is by request only. We stayed in a two bedroom villa which was very comfortable except for the mattress in the main bedroom. The mattress in the main bedroom was very soft and lumpy. Our room view was looking out over the pool and court yard. No Balcony. Some rooms did have balconies. Not a big deal in the middle of January!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the back yard where the pool is.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Timber Lodge, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Thank you for your positive review of Marriott's Timber Lodge! As a loyal Tripadvisor contributor, we truly value your feedback regarding your stay with us. It is great to hear your family enjoyed their time skiing and visiting local attractions. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed at timber lodge for 9 nights whilst skiing at heavenly. It was quite simply the best hotel stay we've had. The room was a one bedroom suite. Very clean and well equipped with a full kitchen and spa bath. The hotel is built around a heated outdoor pool whixh also has four hot tubs, ideal for unwinding after a day skiing. The hotel does a free ski valet for guests and the walk from the ski store to the gondola which takes you up to the ski slopes is 20 feet! Yep 20 feet away! There is nowhere better to stay if you are skiing. What else? Great bar and central Heavenly location right by the bars, shops and restaraunts. No complaints at all. Will definitely stay again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Duncan M
Theodore, Alabama
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We checked in and asked for a mountain view room after making our reservations 6 weeks in advance and was given a room overlooking the street out front. The room we got is super nice, has a kitchen, electric fireplace, two flat screen TVs, and a very comfortable king size bed. The only negative aspect is the parking charges, and the valets expect a tip each time they fetch or park your car. $26 dollars each day and tips too is exorbitant just to park your car after you pay $250.00 a night to stay here. The staff are extremely friendly and greet you each time you see one of them.

Room Tip: King size villa with fireplace is ideal for two adults.
3 Thank CrimsonTide6216
El Dorado Hills, California
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Julian went over and above to make my stay perfect at Timberlodge. When making my reservation I did not see the two bedroom suite option on my iPhone and when I tried to change my reservation to that suite from two separate rooms I got the run around because it was an advance purchase. I then was connected to Julian who made the change happen. Kristin also worked with Julian to make it happen. Because of the change my experience at Timberlodge was enjoyable. Julian has excellent customer service and he followed up to make sure I was satisfied.
We will be returning to the a Timberlodge often

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

The property is beautiful, and being literally steps away from the Heavenly gondola is awesome! The staff was friendly, the rooms were clean and comfortable, but there was a noticeable lack of attention to detail by the housekeeping staff. I stayed for a week in a 2-bedroom unit as a timeshare owner, but I never felt like a WELCOMED guest - only someone occupying a room. Every time I used the "At Your Service" phone service, I was always on hold for 3-6min (maybe more) before someone would answer while listening to crackling elevator music. I had to pay for daily housekeeping (unique to owners here) while I've never had to do that in Hawaii and Thailand. The only reason I paid was b/c I didn't want my guests to think I was cheap or question why I bought a Marriott timeshare to begin with. It was truly insulting. Lastly, housekeeping never replenished my shampoo but kept giving me lotion, sometimes forgot to leave a new bath mat towel, sometimes forgot to replenish the coffee, sometimes made the main bed but wouldn't make the sofa bed that was clearly used and unmade, would never put away the iron back into the closet, clean towels hung wrinkly on the rack, and on my last two days never came at all until I called them once I got off the ski slopes in the afternoon. Also, there isn't an inside hotel bar. So if you want a drink, then you have to brave the cold outside at the Fire and Ice restaurant. Speaking of which, while the food was good at F&I, it was grossly unclean....sauce was everywhere on the counter top around the grill, cooks were throwing dishes and making a mess on the floor, and it was way overpriced.....guests shouldn't have to witness a mess while watching their food being prepared.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Timber Lodge, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Thank you for visiting Marriott's Timber Lodge. While we are happy you enjoyed your overall visit, we are disappointed to learn the housekeeping service did not meet your expectations. As a vacation club resort, daily cleanings are included for an additional fee for owners. Guests paying a nightly rental rate will receive a daily tidy service.

We would welcome the chance to personally respond to your concerns and invite you to contact our Customer Care team at customer.care@vacationclub.com or by calling 800-860-9384. Thank you again for visiting and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Chattanooga, TN
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I usually jot down my review before entering it, so it was a surprise to see it already there! I completely echo Twinlions review with one sole exception - we didn't find the housekeeping up to Marriott's usual standards. Moldy shower and sticky woodwork prompted a once over by the ladies before human consumption allowed!! Otherwise spot on!!

We are Marriott Destinations owners and this was a Platinum week at Christmas. Heated swimming pool in sub-freezing temperatures is great fun and hot tubs right next to skating rink is unique!! So bring a bathing suit and your ski stuff. The resort's close proximity to the lake with the snow-capped mountains beyond the crystal clear water was a treat!!

Be sure to check out the new "Boom Box" a huge snow cat converted into a giant soundstage they drive up on the mountain for "ski parties". Made the headlines this week!!

Raley's Supermarket is right next door so very convenient for home cooked holiday meals! Driftwood Cafe, on the property, is excellent, once you have experienced Fire 'n Ice (or maybe if you decide not to!).

Discounts on ski rentals abound - just ask at the hotel. One caution - the cost of a non-skier on the Gondola is rather steep ($39 per person). so if all you are looking for is a panorama it'll be a costly one. Drive to the lake, it's less expensive and EVERYTHING you buy on the mountain is VERY expensive ($9.00 beer, for instance).

All in all, a beautiful place to visit and certainly an enjoyable venue.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Insight37421
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Timber Lodge, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
We appreciate your positive review of Marriott’s Timber Lodge! Our team is thrilled to hear your family enjoyed their ski vacation and the many amenities the resort has to offer. We also appreciate your feedback about the cleanliness of your room and apologize for any inconvenience it caused you. Thank you for visiting and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Lake Tahoe
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
#1 of 9 in Stateline
Hotel Azure
Hotel Azure
#13 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe

Been to Marriott's Timber Lodge? Share your experiences!