“Awesome ski and snowboard for our family!”

Marriott's Timber Lodge
Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
San Jose, CA
“Awesome ski and snowboard for our family!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2010

First time we arrived the valet staff was so helpful and efficient, then the staff at the reservation was also helpful and took the time to explain our accommodation.
The Unit is so nice and modern, and right away we felt like it was home most specifically the gas fireplace. My grandchild refused to leave, and wants to come back soon! All of us enjoyed our stay at the Marriott's Timber Lodge including the close proximity to the Heavenly Village. We would like to come back again!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Glendale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2010

Stayed at the Marriott Timber Lodge for 4 nights. We had an awesome stay here. We stayed in a two bedroom condo which was amazing.(It was basically a one bedroom condo with an attached hotel guest room, so you had two bedrooms and two bathrooms) Everything in the hotel was clean and the beds were very comfortable. The kitchen was large and fully stocked with everything you would need to make breakfast/dinners. Very spacious. There was also a huge heated pool and 4 hot tubs which was very nice!

The location of this hotel is great! Right when you walk out the lobby there is the village and gondola.

We really look forward to coming back to South Lake Tahoe---It's a very beautiful place to stay...and when we do go back, we will definitely stay at the Marriott again.

Also...If you are planning on staying in South Lake Tahoe, I highly recommend eating at the Tahoe Brewery about a mile down the street...we loved it so much we ate there 3 out of the 4 days! :)

• Stayed January 2010
4 Thank Caligirlatheart7
Santa Cruz, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2010

The hotel accommodations were fine. The rooms were clean (with one exception), and the beds were quite comfortable. There are a lot of restaurants within easy walking distance. The downside was the service. When we arrived after midnight, the bellman slowly helped us unpack our car. I headed up to the room with my kids while he finished putting our skis on the cart and assumed he would follow me while my husband went to park the car. I waited for about 20 minutes and finally called the front desk to see where he was. They told me that "your husband told him to wait for him," which was simply not true. Oh well. Then I opened the fold-out sofa and there were dirty sheets and blankets all rolled up in the middle of the bed. Gross! The maintenance staff came and brought 1 sheet. I had to ask for a clean blanket and pillows and for him to take away the dirty things.
The concierge never answered the phone. We left 3 messages with different questions at different times during our stay and only got one returned phone call.
Finally, when we were leaving, check-out time is at 10:00. I asked for a late check out which they denied, so I quickly packed up while the rest of the family skied. I called promptly at 10:00 to check out and ask for the bellman. No one came. Finally called again at 10:40 and they said they were extremely busy and that someone would come when they could. No one came. I finally called back at 11:20, and they claimed they had never gotten the message that I needed a bellman. This particularly annoyed me since I had asked for a late check out, and they essentially forced me to have a late check out, but one that was just wasted time.
The hotel is convenient to the gondola, but couldn't really be considered ski-in/ski-out. I think for the money there are better options at other resorts in the Lake Tahoe area, although I don't know if there are better options at Heavenly.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2010

First, I left this hotel, knowing immediately that I left my headphones in the room. I called only minutes after I left asking them to go check the room for these expensive headphones that I left there. They didn't. Instead, I got a call two days later from, their security/ lost and found department saying that they hadn't found any headphones... THis kind of service is unnacceptable. I'm sorry to say this, but the likelihood of staff turning these in is low, it seems that Marriot Timber Lodge just doesn't care about that. We go back there every year, and I expect to be treated with a little more courtesy and understanding when I call and ask for a favor, such as asking someone to go upstairs to go and check a room and call me back soon.

Secondly, it shows that this place is starting to fall apart. In general, adding extra buildings to a timeshare develpoment dilutes the value of membership benefits because each individual owner must share common areas and support staff with more owners. Additionally, this unit was very poorly maintained and designed. Dishwasher cabinet washed crooked, kitchen drwaer hits tyhe frigerator handle when opening, so that you have to open the fridge before you can open the drawer, and there wasn't a complete set of pots, pans, plates, or cups. Additionally, the internet is worse than a 2400K baud modem, it is embarrassingly slow. I called the internet company and they stated that this was up to marriot to fix and they simply weren't paying for enough bandwidth.

So a week in tahoe, some good skiing, and getting my ultimate ears metro-fi 220vi headphones stolen by support staff, turned into a mediocre vacation.

Thanks Marriot for doing your best!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
Boynton Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2009

Wow!!! Location, Location, Location!!! Just for the location Marriott’s Timber Lodge Gets 5 Stars. My catchy title “Closest to HEAVEN” was a play on words as the hotel is located on the Heavenly Ski-Lift grounds. We literally walked out the door of Marriott’s lobby and into a gondola that took us to the top of Heavenly Ski Mountain. My Girlfriend and I flew in to Reno when we took the South Tahoe Express (Shuttle) to Southern Lake Tahoe. The fare is about $33 one way per person on a luxurious motor coach (heated-bus with bathroom) for about an hour and a half drive to the hotel. The shuttle actually doesn’t stop at the Timber Lodge but it’s a short 5-7 minute walk from the neighboring hotel (Embassy Suites). The Shuttle’s pick up times is located on their website and I strongly recommend them as renting a car and paying for parking is absurd as everything is easily (even for physically disabled) with-in walking distance.
The Marriot Tiber Lodge is conveniently located within a small but tourist-friendly ski village where there are shops, restaurants, a movie cinema, ice rink and more. The plaza to the south of the hotel has a large grocery store, pizza shop, hardware store, subway and other touristy shops. The shopping center just to the north and next to the lobby has a neat Bar/ Restaurant (Recommended), a spa (Recommended for price and location), and other shops and little grocers.
Our room itself was located on the first floor (6148) and it had an obstructed view of the front entrance. The noise that other reviewers complained about can be heard. The walls do seem a little thin as we heard some noise from the hallway and especially what sounded like noise coming from the neighbors bathtub or shower (running water). That was my only complaint. My room was large. It was a one bed room with a King sized bed that was separated from a loving area, dining area, and full-sized and equipped kitchen. The Kitchen was appropriate for a small apartment but did have a regular sized fridge/ freezer, flat top stove oven/. Microwave, and good sized dishwasher. There was also a stacked washer and dryer. Marriott also provided some dish detergent for either hand washing or dishwasher and laundry detergent. There was a Jacuzzi tub in the master bedroom and a nice sized bathroom. The TV’s were of the flat panel variety and my girlfriend was pleasantly surprised with a fireplace easily turned on by a switch (the fireplace I mean).
We were staying as a friend of an Interval timeshare member who transferred the time to us (for a week). It saved us a considerable amount of money. (Also note that one parking spot is reserved for timeshare members if you do drive). Our traveling friends stayed in a similar sized room (6569) on the fifth floor overlooking the pool. His room was smaller by comparison yet more expensive as he booked through the Marriott Hotel. You see the property is used as both a timeshare and a hotel but we never noticed any difference (Except price). The ease to walk to the grocery store was great and we were able to carry a weeks’ worth of groceries in our hands a short 10-minute walk from the store to our room (and eventually our fridge). Again, a short 5-8 minute walk to the two biggest casinos was appreciated and we found ourselves gambling daily (and nightly). We also were able to walk about ½ mile to Lake Tahoe itself. The weather was snowing and the beach was closed but we found a gate and explored around. On our walk back we found a horse-sleigh ride behind one of the casino’s and went for it.
From the outside the Marriott looks to be the newest and most trendy as the other hotels just looked older. The Free Wi-Fi helped as I constantly checked my sports scores or flight information (from an iphone). The guest relations even helped us print boarding passes. The in hotel restaurant is called Fire and Ice and it was a nice concept and good atmosphere. The food, I felt, was sub-par but the environment made up for it. And the ability to eat as much as you want is great (like a buffet, where they cook your food infront of you, then you return to your table to eat). Fire and Ice had nice large fire pits outside where I found a nice cigar spot. By far the best restaurant was called Kalanis and they served sushi and fish and an eclectic assortment of dishes. We made use of the ice rink and the cinema and also found the closeness of the mountain gondolas refreshing. Apparently, the reviewers say that Heavenly Ski Mountain is the best in Tahoe and the Marriot is located right on top of it.

Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank GT M
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 1 week Dec 4-10th 2009. The hotel was at a prime location close to everything in Lake Tahoe. Everything was within a short walking distance, gondola, casinos, restaurants, movie theater, ice skating, shopping, and grocery store. Our room had a fireplace, very large bathtub, 2 flat screen tv's, free WIFI, full kitchen, and washer and dryer. We were very impressed with the hotel, it was clean and everyone was very pleasant ! Fire and Ice is the hotel restaurant which was okay, nothing special but a neat idea for dinner. There were also 3 fire-pits outside the restaurant which were great and warmed us up. We don't have any children but they had a list of activities everyday for kids to do, and there was also a gym. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone, A+

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JRN1313
Olathe, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2009

My wife and visited the Timber lodge for 5 nights in early November, and we're definitely glad we picked it for our stay. We arrived after 11:00 p.m. and were dead tired. Check-in was a breeze, they got us through, had our luggage in our room and we were asleep all within about 15 minutes. The front staff desk was very friendly and very quick to meet whatever needs you have. The valet people and bell service were very efficient, friendly, and helpful. Housekeeping was fantastic, and I even ran into them cleaning my room one afternoon, and they were very friendly.

The only negative staff members I dealt with were the concierge people. There were two working, but neither of them were helpful or friendly. A couple of weeks before I arrived I received an e-mail from the Marriott with a form to fill out for dinner reservations, spa treatments, and activities. I made a couple of dinner reservations, and reserved a spa time for my wife and received an e-mail stating I would hear from them within 48-hours to confirm. I did never hear from them, and after meeting them in person I can understand why. They were unfriendly, unhelpful, and genuinely not interested in providing service to anybody, though they did excel at gossiping at about co-workers and their job in general. I just brushed them off though and booked all of our activities myself.

The hotel was very nice, with the lobby feeling like a ski lodge, which I guess it is, just wasn't when I was there :). The rooms were very nice, very roomy, and had everything you could possibly need in them. I will say that the hotel in the next 2-3 years is probably going to be due for a renovation as it is looking a little worn in areas, but still very nice.

The location couldn't be better, I still would get a car though as there is so much to see and do on your own. The hotel is within walking distance to the casinos and nightlife so you could stay here and hit the casinos and bars at the casinos.

I would probably avoid Tahoe in early November if you are like us and have never been there. A lot of stuff is closed down, but we still had a great trip. I can't wait to go back in the summer time when more stuff is open.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joshua b
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Lake Tahoe
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Harrah's Lake Tahoe
#1 of 9 in Stateline
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,951 reviews
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe

Been to Marriott's Timber Lodge? Share your experiences!