“Fair Budget Choice”

Ranked #58 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
College Station, Texas
“Fair Budget Choice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2010

Renovated rooms are clean and functional, with a good tv, comfortable bed, decent lighting, micro-fridge and microwave, desk and chair. Wi-fi worked on and off in room, fine in dining area. No coffee maker, iron, or other amenities, and the loose-fitting front door was worrisome. Noise from main drag was audible even in the back room I requested, but that may be true everywhere along busy Lake Tahoe Blvd. I slept well anyway. No A/C, but I didn't need it; old gas wall heater for cold nights. No tub; shower only. Good desk service, mediocre breakfast. The managers are trying hard to get this place up to speed and, for the price, it's acceptable.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
4 Thank dberthold

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Concord, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2010

stayed there on Memorial day room had a small fridge that make noise like a plane taking off. shower water went from hot to cold and back again, room never got made up we after 1st day. Wall heater did not work they sent someone over to move wires to make a better connection. NO A/C no hair drier they said their would be. even the knobs on the sink were on backwards hot on cold and such. Tried to talk with maid but no english. It was cheap but even for the little money I would not recommend it. no pool and NO INTERNET IN ROOMS

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these South Lake Tahoe hotels

California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2008

Call me a snob but after seeing the room, we immediately left and stayed at the Best Western down the street which was MUCH nicer and only slightly more expensive. The Best Western was a luxury hotel compared to this place. The people at the front desk were very nice. However, this place is run down, not well lit, on a scary part of this street. There look like there are permanent residents in other rooms, the room looked dirty, the AC didn't work and it was very hot that day. And there was no screen on the window so we couldn't leave the window open and leave with personal belongings inside. I'm a budget minded shopper but this was not an acceptable lodging for me, and I felt misled by reviews I'd read prior. I didn't even care that I didn't get a refund, I didn't even try. In my opinion this place is overpriced because of it's location, it's not worth over $100 per night. Would not stay again because it's below my personal standards.

• Liked — Nothing. Although the staff did seem nice.
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
Bishop, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2008

Got to this place late in the evening after a long day at a swim meet, and was so turned off by the appearance I nearly turned away. I went into the office and they didn't even have my reservation, so I asked to look at a room before I had to pay. Dirty floors, but the beds were clean enough. My kids were exhausted so we stayed, but the other "guests" (it looked as though some were living there) were a little scary to say the least. Very loud drunk people arrived at 2:30 am, then had the audacity to yell at us for waking them up at 6:30am. Never even used the shower, and the bathroom, although there was newer tile, was too tiny. The toilet barely flushed. This place needs a major makeover but if you want a really cheap place to stay (70$/nite) and you don't mind a little filth it might be ok. At least the fridge, microwave and coffemaker did work! I know we won't go there ever again. The man in the office was very nice, I must say.

• Liked — it was the least expensive room in Tahoe
  • Disliked — Filthy, Filthy, Filthy!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2007

Do not ever stay at that place - the other bad reviews you see here say it all. The people were actually nice though they refused to name the owner/manager, but the place awful doesn't come close. I had a case going with the Better Business Bureau (BBB Complaint Case#11003605(Ref#87-10001565-11003605-17-3200) but hotel management did not react so the case is closed and unresolved. I came all the way from Europe, what a terrible experience. A pity, as I will never go back to Lake Tahoe......

• Liked — nothing, it was the worst hotel I have ever seen
  • Disliked — dirty, trashy, no security, trashy guests etc. etc.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
pat121
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2007

Do not stay here!! Trash on the walkways. Many rooms are condemned by the enviromental service due to bed bugs(need i say more). Nice people, but horrible hotel

• Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2006

The reservation has been made in advance and the rate has been paid online. We came there at 11pm or so. Nobody was there. We spent 30 or more minutes outside. Finally, we went to another hotel. After that I had to call to Value Inn at least five times to persuade them to return the money I spent. They did not even say they were sorry. I don't think it is a good place to stay.

• Stayed February 2006
Howard Johnson South Lake Tahoe
#56 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Budget Inn South Lake Tahoe
Budget Inn South Lake Tahoe
#74 of 119 in Lake Tahoe (California)
Best Choice Inn South Lake Tahoe
#37 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Days Inn South Lake Tahoe
Days Inn South Lake Tahoe
#52 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe

Been to Sunray Tahoe Hotel? Share your experiences!