“Super stay!”

Ranked #40 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Boston, Massachusetts
“Super stay!”
Reviewed 17 August 2012

My mother and I had a wonderful time at the Avalon Lodge this past month. The rooms were very comfortable and spacious, especially the beds. I’d love one like that for my own home. The staff was friendly and helpful, always ready to answer our questions. The breakfast was just right for us, tasty and plentiful - and it was great to chat with the other guests in the morning. I think the hotel attracts friendly guests. The hotel is in a quiet area surrounded by huge pines and it was restful to sit outdoors in one of their several sitting areas. Since my mother has trouble getting around, she really appreciated being able sit outdoors in a lovely setting. We also used the hotel pass to spend a morning at the beach and loved that. There was a lot going on there! There were plenty of restaurants in the area to dine at and we even got in some shopping. All in all, the Avalon was a great part of our vacation. My mother rarely travels anymore but told me that she would go back to the Avalon anytime – and that is high praise from her!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
New York
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Stayed at the Avalon for a week in July with my husband, our daughter and her boyfriend. The location was perfect for everyone to walk to whatever activity they wanted (beach, casinos, shopping, dining). The rooms were well appointed and very clean. The "continental" breakfast each morning was a real treat with delicious breakfast breads each morning. Nothing better than sitting on the deck looking at the beautiful blue sky and having breakfast. The front desk staff, especially Shannon and Theresa, were very helpful and friendly. It was such a peaceful and enjoyable "lodge" that I can't wait to return!

Alamo, California
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We took our dog here and had a great time. All of the staff are incredibly welcoming, nice, and helpful. The rooms are clean and spacious with good amenities including mini fridges and microwaves. You are also given a dog welcome basket which among treats and other things includes an old sheet for your dog so that he can sleep on the bed with you. You can also ask for a dog bed and a food and water bowl. Everyone there seems to love dogs and there are lots of places to hang out and relax on the property with or without your dog. The pool and jacuzzi are well kept and nice.
There are also bikes and kayaks to rent out for free, which would not be available at big chain hotels.
Overall this is a great place to stay with an amazing staff. We would definitely stay here again and recommend it to people with or without dogs, though if you have a dog this would be a great place to stay with them.

Lara S.

June Lake, California
Reviewed 24 July 2012

After searching and searching for an affordable dog friendly option that is also clean and comfortable I found the Avalon Lodge, located only 3 blocks from the journey concert we were going to see at the Harvey's South Lake Ampitheatre.

Upon arrival everything began falling into place, the front desk service was personal and the lobby was extremely clean with water, coffee, and even sangria! I felt as if I were being welcomed into someone's home. The front desk staff presented me with a dog basket which included some biscuits a tennis ball, a clean towel and a sheet for some dog bedding! THat worked out great.

There are no complaints with the recently renovated rooms, the bathrooms being the highlight (water pressure on the raindrop shower head was AMAZING!) The bedding is very comfortable, and the ceiling fan in the room kept us cool on a hot summer day. I have a really bad back and I slept better on this mattress than the one I have at home!

The pool and hot tub were very clean and at a great temperature, and the bikes to take out worked great to get down to the beach, only two blocks away! I will always be looking to stay at the Avalon Lodge on future trips to South Lake Tahoe.

Overall the best part of this dog friendly location was that I could not tell that this was a dog friendly hotel, the housekeeping staff is doing a great job and my allergies were not an issue when staying in the room! This place is the bees knees!

Room Tip: All rooms seemed amazing as our party had 3 all over...and they all exceeded par!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 16 July 2012

The staff at the Avalon made us feel right at home from the minute we checked in. They immediately offered us some delicious sangria while we were checking in and were eager to show us trail maps and boat and kayak rental information when they learned more about our recreation interests, so right away we knew we were going to love our stay. They offer a free breakfast in the mornings, and one day while getting ready for a hike I lost track of time and missed the breakfast, but when I wandered into the lobby to buy a snack from the adjoining store the desk clerk immediately ran into her kitchen to fix me a bowl of yogurt and granola (for free!) so I wouldn't have to buy anything. We felt like guests in someone's home during our stay because of the warmth and generosity of the staff. You can't beat the location, either: just a few blocks from Heavenly resort and the lake. The hotel is stylish and comfortable, AND they also offer free cruiser bike rentals so you can explore South Tahoe in style! We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms near the corner are closest to the balcony, so if you stay there you'll feel...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ReenieLesBois
infoavalon, Owner at Avalon Lodge, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Thank you for your feedback and kind words! Aren't the complimentary bikes great??? We thank you for staying and hope you get to come and visit us and Tahoe again ~ and don't forget your 5% returning guest discount!

DP
Round Rock, TX
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The staff were very friendly. If we are going to visit that area again, we will stay there.

1 Thank KL_RR
Reviewed 7 July 2012

This hotel was great!!!! The customer service was one of the best I've had in a long time!!! They always had smiles on their faces and were very helpful. Since they allowed pets wasn't sure how the rooms would be but very clean you couln't tell pets even were in the hotel. We brought our dog and it turned out great! They eve gve the dogs a welcome basket! The rooms were really nice and beds were comfy! The only problem I had was that the shower area didn't have no where to place your soaps, but then again it did sorta look like they put us in a handicapp room...not sure! The location was a perfect walk to the lake. It take amatter of mintues! The parking lot is designed a little weird but easy if you got a car hard for SUV's. I will stay here again in Tahoe I had a really nice stay! Rooms updated, nice slate bathrooms, and comfy beds can't bet that. Also when asking for late check out they had no problem! If you pass up staying here your crazy! It's hard to get awesome service and awesome rooms and location nowadays!

• Stayed July 2012