“Relaxing retreat in excellent location”

Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Ranked #9 of 65 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Reviewed 16 September 2012 via mobile

I needed to stay overnight in South Lake for a business meeting and needed a place with a fridge. I was more than pleased by the Grand Residence at Heavenly Village. I was upgraded to a King-sized studio, and it was huge! Everything was beautifully appointed and very clean. The valet parking is expensive, but luckily there are great restaurants in the village within a few steps of the hotel and you get discounts at many of them. Because I stayed midweek in September, the price was great, but I imagine it's much more in winter. I will definitely stay here again if I have another business trip to the area!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank stephabelle

Reviewed 15 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here with some friends over Memorial Weekend in 2012. We shared a suite, which was bigger than the average apartment! The rooms are beautiful and have amazing views. The hotel is very clean and the staff is extremely friendly. There is no on-site self parking, so we ended up using valet, which was convienent despite the extra cost. There are so many things to do when you walk out the door, from the gandola to shopping and so much more. The hotel is very large and we did not know if there was a restaurant on site. We didn't use the pool because it was snowing outside, but several other people seemed to enjoy it. I will gladly stay here again because it's very family friendly, but romantic and nice.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank brandnic9
Reviewed 5 September 2012

My wife and I spend 3 nights at the Marriott Grand Residence Club Tahoe for a weekend getaway, our room # was 3102. The room amenities are good especially for family with kids, the extra fold out bed, sofa bed, and kitchen are well appointed. The hotel staffs were friendly, and the valet service was quick (we called 5 mins ahead of time).

There were a few things we did not like about the hotel. First, no one explained to us about the room cleaning service. Apparently by the bedroom table there is a piece of paper explaining the 4 different services which we did not discover until the 2nd day, in addition we’re curious why the bathroom supplies and towels were not replenished, and trashcans in bathroom and kitchen were not emptied. As part of the check-in process, they should explain this service for guest especially new guest staying at the Marriott Grand Residence Club. Second, both living space and bedroom fireplace uses a timer, which is fine but it gets annoying hearing the timer sound, unfortunately the living space fireplace did not work. Third, if you prefer a piece and quiet stay, try to get a room that is not facing the pool, our room 3102 faces the pool and it got a bit annoying hearing drunk adult screaming by the hot tub.

We probably will not return to the Marriott Grand Residence Club, with the price we paid ($325 per night) we will try other hotel in other parts of Tahoe.

2  Thank dontlosemyluggage
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Very good rooms here but the service I not very friendly. The check in staff was great but when I would stop by for info they were not helpful. They have sone good places to et but a real disappointment was that Wolfgang pucks express had closed. Too bad because that w a great place. I talked to several people and they agree that Marriott should do everything they could to entice Wolfgang pucks back.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank postrawb
Reviewed 4 September 2012

This was my first trip to Lake Tahoe and the hotel and lake both lived up to my expectations. I'm a bit of a Marriott snob, having achieved Gold status with them for the last few years, and on my way to Platinum status this year. This is one of the top 5 properties I've stayed at.

We stayed here for 4 nights in late August. The concierge was immensely helpful in planning activities for my wife and I. We didn't want a stressful time, so we didn't do much planning ahead of time. We literally showed up and said "what are some can't miss activities". They recommended that we take a day, drive around the lake (incredible), visit Sandy Harbor Beach on the North West shore (NV side), and set up a lunch cruise on the last day.

The pool is great, it's kept heated, around 82-85 F I think. Hot tubs were a little toasty, 106 maybe, but still enjoyable. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed sitting out by the gas fire pit as well, reading and enjoying the fresh mountain air.

As for the spa, we're sorry to report that we didn't test it out.

I didn't know this before I arrived, but the property are timeshares, so we had a studio room, but there are also 1 and 2 BRs, with various combinations of bathrooms. Even the studio had a full kitchen and an eating area, and it didn't feel too cramped in the bedroom.

Two complaints: Valet parking was $26 a day. Again, having been at Marriotts all over the country (both business and pleasure) I can see this being a fair price in the winter time, wanting to limit your exposure to the elements. But in the summer time, $26 is a ripoff. Especially because we timed our visit for the "low" season...kids were back in school and they aren't yet in winter. $15 for valet parking would have been more appropriate. Do your research ahead of time, there are additional places to park within a short walk of the hotel, if you don't mind the walk.

My other complaint was the lack of a "concierge lounge" for high level Marriott members like myself. It's nice in other hotels to have that free, quality breakfast, but also a small oasis to get away and just unwind.

Overall though, an excellent stay and highly recommended for the South Side of Lake Tahoe. I would stay here again, and my wife and I are considering a return trip for the winter season.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a view, I think the larger your room type the better your view. I had a st...
3  Thank spolcecsekr7
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We had a 1 bedroom with a kitchen. It had neat pull out type beds for our son. The place was really top notch. The decore was wonderful. We were traveling with our 15 year old son. The suite had 2 fireplaces and was beautifully decorated. Plenty of room for us and him. There is everything on property so our son could do some of his own thing. A whirlpool tub so mom could relax! The location is central and the property is absolutely wonderful. Very centrally located. You do not have to leave or use your car you can walk to everything. One word of caution daily parking was expensive. Do not park in the lot for the grocery store accross the street they will tow, we watched many cars get towed away.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the mountain. I also would NOT want to have a room that faces the pool...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Wendy P
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We found our unit through VRBO.com and paid $600 (including taxes) for 3 nights in a 1 br / 2 ba condo unit. We thought this was the best place around because it was right in the middle of many good shops and restaurants plus the gondola ride up to Heavenly.

We'd definitely come back!

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Lake Tahoe
#2 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Hotel Azure
Hotel Azure
#15 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe

Been to Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.

Address: 1001 Heavenly Village Way, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150-7068 (Formerly Marriott Grand Residence Club Tahoe)
Region: United States > California > Lake Tahoe (California) > South Lake Tahoe
Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Kitchenette Restaurant Ski-In / Ski-Out Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#3 Spa Hotel in South Lake Tahoe
#4 Business Hotel in South Lake Tahoe
#5 Family Hotel in South Lake Tahoe
#8 Romantic Hotel in South Lake Tahoe
Price Range: £105 - £367 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:4 star — Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent. 4*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Marriott Grand Residence Club Tahoe Hotel South Lake Tahoe