“Toured property, but didn't stay”

Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Ranked #9 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Milton, Wisconsin
“Toured property, but didn't stay”
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

We were staying at a different location, but as Marriott Vacation Club owners Iike to visjt properties when possible to potentially determine future vacation spots. I was very impressed with both the friendliness of the employees as well as the rooms. As others have mentioned, the gondola is literally just steps from the property. The resort has daily activities. We asked if we could partake in the complimentary wine tasting friday evening & were warmly welcomed! It was great to share travel stories with other timeshare owners!! I look forward to staying here in the future. Thank you for welcoming us!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Karen B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sao Jose Do Rio Preto, SP
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I stayed at the Hotel with my family, it's very confortable, close to gôndola. We loved. Wonderfull place, great place to stay some vacation days. The room service was very good, clean and ok service. We liked.

Room Tip: Rooms are big enough to stay with a big family. Very calm placê to stay and to enjoy some winter thi...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

We could not have been happier with our marriott condo accommodations. Slept 5 comfortably. Clean and quality throughout. We left our car at valet and didn't need it the whole week. The marriott is next to the lift ticket office and gondola plus ski rental shops, restaurants, ice skating, the movies -everything you could wish for just steps away. Harrahs and Harvey's are a five minute walk making it easy for the gamblers in the group to enjoy and walk home. We will be back for sure.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 909LAH
Toronto
Reviewed 10 January 2014

A little late in getting this review in as it is now skiing season in Tahoe, but if you are planning a sumer trip to the area, the Marriott Grand is a great choice, particularly for families.

We had a fabulous five days there this past August, and chose the Grand Marriott as it was very well situated for hiking, and because of the large suites.

Even though South Lake Tahoe is a lot busier than the North part, the Marriott is not on the busiest part of the strip, so there is some respite, particularly if you take a room looking over the pool (not the Gondola or the Village).

We had two connecting rooms, which were well appointed, large bathrooms, and a nice well equipped kitchen. It is a great space for families, and very good value.

If you are booking a two bedroom, make sure that you are getting what you want, as all are not equal, some are a bit larger than others, and some have more bathrooms than others, and it is reflected in the price - so it is worth making a phone call to make sure you are getting what you hoped for.

Also worth noting is that the Marriott Grand has all air conditioned rooms, while the older Marriott Timber right next door does not. Although the nights were cool when we were there, it was in the high 80's, and even into the 90's during the day so the air conditioning was appreciated.

The pool area is lovely, and there was always fresh watermelon slices and water available which was a nice touch . The poolside food service was also quite good, and the beautiful stone fire pit, and two hot tubs were much appreciated when it started to get chilly in the early evening.

While we didn't really partake in any of the organized activities that the Marriott offered - other than the free chocolate tasting - a nice little bonus which happened to take place while we were waiting for our room - there were a number of great activities for the kids and adults as well.

While some reviewers complained that this property is more like a condo without a restaurant, there are literally several restaurants right outside the door, as it is right in the VIllage. One of our favorites was the Base Camp Pizza - always quite busy but you can wait outside on the adirondack chairs, have a drink and listen to the bands that play nightly. There is also a grocery store across the street if you don't feel like dining out.

The concierge was also quite helpful, particularly with tips about dining and hiking as was the majority of the front desk staff,

My only complaint was in the housekeeping department. We had requested a feather free room due to allergies, and while there was one feather free pillow in the room, the rest of the room had feather pillows and feather duvets. While they managed to take away the feather duvets, they did not have enough foam pillows.

A little surprising for a Marriott, as it took them two days to get the pillows. It is for this reason that I did not give the property 5 stars - because other than that, it really deserved a better rating as it is a fantastic property.

Room Tip: If you don't want to see throngs of people on the Gondola, or people playing mini golf right out...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Susan M
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Although I always liked staying with the Marriott hotel group this stay and experience changed my mind.
During a 4-night stay at the Grand Residences with my family we first enjoyed our stay in one of the nicely furnished and spacious 1-bdr villas until it turned into a nightmare.

The morning before our checkout a mouse was running over the living room’s sleeper sofa headrest while I was nursing my newborn. The mouse was approaching me from the back close to my neck, which made me jump out of my skin and I almost dropped my baby.

Long story short: We were locked up in the mouse-free master bedroom for one hour and had to convince maintenance to not just only set-up traps for 6 hrs but to immediately take action since all our baby gear, food, and diapers were in the living room.

Thankfully maintenance was cooperative and finally able to remove the mouse.

However, what really enraged me was the fact that the manager on call didn’t show up once, gave us a call nor apologized for the incident.
Instead the front desk offered a small compensation. While we were waiting at the front desk she went to the manager’s office next door to get her proposal approved… In my opinion this would have been the perfect moment to step out and apologize.

When we were back at home I addressed the incident to the corporate office since mice in hotel rooms are not a bagatelle. The response I received blew me away. They actually stated: “Generally traps are set in the area to catch the pest” and “With the location of the property, it is not hard to believe that there are pests in the woods and they could gain access to one of the buildings in the area. Just as they can gain access to a home, we would attempt to trap the animal and remove it from the grounds”.

In summary, if you have nothing against the fact sharing your room and bed with mice stay at the Grand Residences in Lake Tahoe.

BTW – in retrospect I am not surprised that we had a mouse in the room. We always asked housekeeping to clean the villa after 12pm and this happened only once during our stay. All other days were a no show, so if cleanliness is handled like this on a day-to-day basis mice should be common guests.

Room Tip: Just stay away if you don't like mice in the room!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
13 Thank travelinmatecom
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 January 2014

There aren't that many good options in Lake Tahoe. For what is up there, the Marriott Grand Residence is a good option but certainly far from great.

Cons:

The first thing to know about this Marriott is that this is NOT a hotel.

1. No room service.

2. No restaurants on property.

3. You don't get any of the amenities you normally do if you are a Marriott Elite member. This also means you don't get any of your preferences, like high floors, away from elevators, etc.

4. They can't even credit you anything even if they've made a mistake because "we are not a hotel." We booked two rooms with a fireplace in each and paid more to get the additional fireplace. When we got there, we only had one fireplace and since it wasn't that big of a deal we didn't complain but upon checkout asked that they charge us for the room they gave us not the one they should have given us. They told us that although they fully acknowledge that we did NOT receive the room we booked and paid for, they had no power to change anything. If we wanted to be refunded the money we were charged improperly, we had to call the Marriott main line and ask for their help. Just unprofessional and frankly, unheard of.

5. There is no turn down service.

6. You don't get the newspaper.

7. No drinks, no nothing on property. If you want to grab a cup of hot chocolate late at night, you're out of luck. You have to get fully dressed and go out in search of it.

8. You are supposed to receive some benefits as a result of staying there. For example, you're supposed to get free valet services for ski equipment and 20% off rentals. I don't know whose fault this is, Marriott's or the ski rental place attached to it (I don't know if the Marriott owns it or not) but the valet is ONLY for skis. They won't take your boots, helmets, etc. I've never experience that. Valet for ski equipment means just that: Ski equipment which obviously includes ski boots and helmets. So it was very inconvenient.

Also, we were told that we received the 20% discount on rentals. We asked again that they make sure because it certainly didn't feel that way. We were assured 2 different times that we did. Once back in the room, we did the math and realized that they in fact never gave us the discount! The line we had to stand in to go challenge them was about an hour long, so obviously we skipped it especially since we had just stood in that hour long line to rent our equipment.

8. During our stay, their phone system went out for 12 hours. So, for example, they had forgotten to give us a blanket for the pull-out sofa. Since we couldn't call them to ask for it, we had to change out of our pajamas, go all the way to the lobby and ask for a blanket. Very inconvenient.

9. No "On Demand" movies in the room. You can rent a DVD for $5 in the lobby. It just makes the property feel old and outdated.

10. The entire property feels outdated. They have some nice fireplaces but the decor and the feel is just old. It looks like they are planning on remodeling. The property is certainly in need of a remodel.

PROS:

1. For $540/night we received a room with a king bed, a small, fully furnished kitchen with a dining area and a very small living area with a pull-out sofa. I liked the layout of the room, with the kitchen in the middle and the bedroom and living area on the sides. When our son was asleep, we could be on the other side watching TV, etc., without waking him up. And I thought for the amount of space you get, it was a relatively reasonable rate.

2. The location is very good. It is VERY close to the Gondola. You step out of the "hotel" and the Gondola is right there.

3. The village around it is nice and has some good restaurants and shops.

4. The rooms were nice and clean.

5. Loved the pool and jacuzzis. They have 2 jacuzzis and one very large pool, all of which are nicely heated.

As I said in the beginning, it's a good option, but could use a lot of improvement.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank naynee42
Elk Grove, California
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I'm typically a huge Marriott advocate so this review pains me a little. I used a big allotment of my Marriott points i had accrued to stay here for a getaway (35K per night!).
First the studio suite as it is written up is half the size of any other Residence Inn type property I have ever encountered. Its a smallish hotel room with a kitchen crammed into it. Second, the typically slab like firm mattresses I have come to appreciate at Marriott were not there. It was like sleeping on a poorly filled bean bag. the linens crinkled like binder paper when I moved and were so overly starched they made it even more uncomfortable. I challenge Marriott to measure any Queen mattress on the marked and prove to me that this was not a full size mattress. this was NOT a Queen size bed.

Aside from the worst night of sleep in my life at a Marriott, the spa was a complete embarrassment that i have detailed in another review. regardless of the sublet situation, Marriott allowed this ramshackle business inside their walls and has to own their train wreck service as well.

There is no restaurant or bar ON this property. there are several close by but for someone who simply wants to "go downstairs for a drink" you cant do that here.

The front desk staff seemed poorly trained as doing something as simple as checking out took 3 people and 10 minutes because I utilized Rewards Points for my stay (handled in advance).

In general I was pretty unimpressed and hope they can get their services and overall comfort level uplifted to match the fancy decor or they will not get a lot of ownership sales at this location to last long. I have little doubt most of the sales they do have are simply folks buying in for max values to use the trade outs elsewhere.

Room Tip: Stay at the Timber Lodge a short trek down the road. Still Marriott and its seems to be more of what...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Harrah's Lake Tahoe
Harrah's Lake Tahoe
#1 of 9 in Stateline
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,059 reviews

Been to Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.

Property: Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Address: 1001 Heavenly Village Way, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150-7068 (Formerly Marriott Grand Residence Club Tahoe)
Region: United States > California > Lake Tahoe (California) > South Lake Tahoe
Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Kitchenette Restaurant Ski-In / Ski-Out Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
#3 Spa Hotel in South Lake Tahoe
#4 Business Hotel in South Lake Tahoe
#5 Family Hotel in South Lake Tahoe
#8 Romantic Hotel in South Lake Tahoe
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): ££
Hotel Class:4 star — Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent. 4*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Marriott, TravelUp, Ebookers, Ctrip TA, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon, HRS and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Marriott Grand Residence Club Tahoe Hotel South Lake Tahoe