“great location”

Ambassador Motor Lodge
Ranked #58 of 65 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Reviewed 3 August 2014

At the last minute, my sister and I decided to go up to Tahoe for one night. I was surprised when I began searching for a room. Everything was so expensive! (A hotel I usually stay at for $79 was now $299.) I tried various travel sites, and ending up booking a room on Priceline. To get the better ‘deal’ we selected an unnamed 2-star hotel, which ended up being the Ambassador. We read several reviews on TripAdvisor so we would be prepared.

The Ambassador is an older motel, but we’ll call it ‘Midcentury Modern’. Check-in was easy, and the gal at reception was very helpful. We paid the $7 resort fee. This seemed reasonable since it included passes to the private beach club (which are normally $5 per person per day). The room itself was fine – fairly large with two wing chairs, a queen sized bed, and desk/dresser/tv area. The bathroom sported a groovy green toilet and tub. There was an ice machine on site, but no ice bucket. (Plus there was a warning on the outside of the machine not to fill up your ice chests with this ice.)

The location was great. It was just a little over a block down from Harvey’s toward the lake and a 5-10 minute walk to the beach. An outdoor concert was taking place at Harvey’s outdoor arena, and people were sitting in chairs along the outer fence to enjoy it for free (although you couldn’t see anything).

The worst thing about the Ambassador was the squishy bed. It would be fine if you were sleeping alone, but they didn’t have any rooms with two beds available. Every time my sister moved, I was jostled awake. A continental breakfast was included in our stay. They had toast, bagels, cereal and Costco muffins along with orange juice, banana, and coffee. I grabbed the last bagel, but tossed it in the garbage because it was a bit soggy. (It must have been previously frozen and icy.) There are lots of good places to eat in Tahoe, so that was fine.

I would happily stay at the Ambassador again, but would definitely need to have two beds.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Pinders

Reviewed 20 March 2014

Clean, friendly staff, and the rooms have mini fridges and microwaves. What more do you want from a cheap motel in South Lake? A bit run-down, but that's to be expected, and clean makes up for it. Extra blankets and pillows available.

A-OK is the operative term here; it's a replacement-level motel; I've stayed in a lot of motels in South Lake, and they are all about the same.

Useful facts:
The hot tub was closed (this was in the middle of winter).

They didn't mind an extra car parking here before going skiing. The woman working the front desk was pleasant.

The included wi-fi was mediocre quality.

The included breakfast started at 8 AM, and we were heading to the slopes before that, so we didn't get a chance to eat it.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms, and corner rooms, are better.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ZacharyRD
Reviewed 11 January 2014

This lodge is more like a motel with breakfast. Although the staff is really friendly, Housekeeping was very slow since we were not able to check in till 4 hours after normal check in. We went to dinner and back and were literally sitting in our car till our room was done. I dont think I will be returning with my family.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Taximom2014
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Wow, what a great find! After driving around looking for the right hotel that wasn't too much we came upon this little gem. Tucked away amongst the trees. A great pool area well kept with a lawn area with picnic tables and 3 BBQ's. Although there was no air-conditioner (and believe me, I need air conditioners) the room was quite airy and cool! I know, I too was shocked! They did have fans but I didn't need it all the time. We went the weekend of the 27th and believe me when I say it was a hot weekend.

The service was outstanding! Breakfast in the morning with quite a nice spread. Everyone that we had to talk with was amazing. No lie. I too am shocked at such a great review but I assure you, it is a wonderful place to stay and we WILL be back!

Room Tip: I do believe any room would be good. There is a huge suite that I believe holds up to 8 people.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2013

This place was a priceline surprise for us. I'm not sure I would have chosen this place if I were going strictly by all of the reviews.

We got a room on the second floor. There was some kind of Harley biker retreat going on at this place, so it was a little intimidating to drive up and see all the bikes and bikers when we drove up.... but everyone was really nice and friendly. There was also a concert going on at the nearby casino, so it was pretty noisy from that. But all of the noise promptly stopped around 10 pm.

The weather was cool, so we didn't need the A/C or heat. Yes, the place is a little dated. But I gotta say, our room was immaculately clean! No hairdryer or iron.............but there were lots of little toiletry samples.

We didn't get a chance to try the breakfast. We were up and out too early for that.
The staff was pretty nice. We'd consider coming back here.

Room Tip: Second floor!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Patricia L
Reviewed 9 June 2013

First off there was no a/c condition. I died of heat. I booked a room with a full kitchen and I did not get that. The rooms seemed old, no iron or hair dryer. Overall this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Juliana R
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I often stay here for the weekend. It is good value. I stayed here for the past 4 years. My review is past due.
The staff is friendly. I can check in early if the rooms are ready, which is 90% of the time.
The breakfast is awesome. They have coffee, juice, milk, fresh fruits, cereal, energy bars, etc. My favorites are the fresh cup cakes and toasted bagels with cream cheese. Then get an apple to go. I never eat so much breakfast elsewhere.
The rooms are clean. The furniture are old, but well maintained. There is WIFI, but often busy.
The hot water is hot and the cold water is cold. It is very important! The water pressure is good for a hot shower.
It is a 5 minutes walk to Heavenly Gondola.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo