“Welcomed Gem with no noise/kids”

Evan's American Gourmet Cafe
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We are the parents of 5 grown children and grandparents of 7 who love kids, but there are times when you want an adult-evening and Evan's provides that and more! The cuisine was indeed gourmet and delectable with beautiful presentation. Professional service in a caring manner topped the elegance of the evening! The setting has lovely ambiance, the scale of the restaurant is delightfully small and intimate, and the entire "package" offered an unexpected level of excellence in a highly touristic town. While the cost is pricey, we feel the value-to-price ratio makes it worth it. Save room for dessert which was spectacular!

4  Thank Martha C
There are newer reviews for Evan's American Gourmet Cafe

Reviewed 8 August 2014

A wonderful meal! Thank you for the amazing food and gracious service. Everything was 5 star, including the staff. We dined the same night as the 2 previous reviewers and we understood your frustration. Thanks for making our night special with a once in a lifetime dinner!

4  Thank Raj S
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Please change your policy to let families know from the very beginning, when making their reservations, that your restaurant does not welcome children, no matter how well-behaved. It is insulting to wait until the end of the evening after you've given us our $500 bill, to then pull me aside, make me feel like I'm being scolded and ask me not to bring our children back, who were well-behaved and responsive any time we corrected them. We simply won't return ever and will make sure that everyone else we know doesn't either. Families with children on vacation want to have one nice meal out all together. I don't have a nanny nor do I bring a babysitter with me in order to hide my children away from people who think of them as an annoyance or inconvenience. I won't have a hard time saying goodbye to your restaurant permanently. My duck was tough, and overcooked and the entire experience turned out to be a disappointment. The owner, Candice, had a cold attitude with us from the beginning with her curt comments, brushing me off and ignoring me when I asked her to take a family picture and then shushing my son when he got excited about ice cream. There were plenty of guests in the restaurant and the wait staff who were louder than our children. I'm proud of our boys and I'm proud to be their mother. I want to encourage them to experience life and good food right along with me. Apparently, Evans believes that children should be silent robots and should be hidden away and only allowed to eat at McDonalds. Apparently, childless guests' money is more valuable than ours. Rude and classless, Evans. It's a pity, we've come for 3 years and we really enjoy your wait staff. Too bad the owner ruined it all and unfortunately I think it's going to affect their business in the long run. For us, we're moving on to find our next favorite Tahoe restaurant who will appreciate the blessing our children are and our hard-earned dollars.

17  Thank aliegurl
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We come to Evan's every time we are in Tahoe. We have come for the last 3 years and have always loved it. Wonderful food, the waiters and waitresses are always attentive and knowledgeable.
However, our experienced ended terribly tonight.
We always call and make a reservation, we have always brought our children, and have never had any problems. Our children are quiet and well behaved.
Upon leaving tonight the owner pulled my sister aside and stated that no one had complained but we weren't welcome back with children.
There is no sign posted no children, no one has ever said no children the last 3 years we have made reservations, she did not state anything when we walked in, only AFTER we paid our almost $500 bill did she decide to ruin our night and inform us.
She helped serve us and she was incredibly rude all evening. We asked her to take our picture and she brushed us off and said she had to serve food, my nephew asked me for a bite of my desert and she shushed him. I hope she feels incredibly terrible for how she treated her customers. We will never be back with or without children. Truly classless lady she is and I will never support a business that is run by someone who operates as she did tonight.

10  Thank Nmurphy19
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This small, quaint restaurant lived up to the reviews. Outstanding food and service. So many wonderful desserts we all had to get a different one!