“Trip cancelled via a email sent at midnight 6 hours before trip”

Discover Lake Tahoe - Scenic Bus Tours
Lake Tahoe Circle Tour Including Squaw Valley
Ranked #10 of 29 Tours in South Lake Tahoe
Type: Bus Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover Lake Tahoe offers scenic bus tours of Lake Tahoe and Beyond. We have a weekly schedule Monday - Tour to San Francisco, Tuesday - Around the Lake Tour, Wednesday - Wine Tour, Thursday - Tour to Virginia city, Thursday - Tour to Yosemite We also offer bus charters for all occasions. Weddings, airport transfers, corporate outings, ski shuttle, etc...
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My husband and his sister waited in the valet area of Harrah's, South Lake Tahoe valet area for 1 hour without any phone notification from this company (time to meet was 6:00am). My husband called me about a no show from the tour company. I looked at my emails from the day before the trip (Wednesday) and I had received a reminder about the trip which was the next day. The next email from them was sent at 12 am stating it was cancelled, "due to lack of interest", this was 6 hours before the trip was to pick them up and during the time most people would be sleeping. This would have been their 1st time to Yosemite which I have visited numerous times in the past and considered it a bucket list must do. The unfortunate thing is that my sister in-law lives in NC and we live in WI so the ability to just rebook for another date is not feasible. I am sure that they were very aware of how many guests booked this trip by Wednesday, they should have cancelled this on Wednesday when they knew about the "lack of interest" so my husband could have rented a car. I received an email about a refund which is peanuts when you take into consideration the cost of airfare that they will pay to return next year, when they will be renting a car. This tour only operates on Thursday's so you are taking a gamble that the tour will operate if you do not allow yourself enough time or options for car rental if they cancel. I would not recommend this company based on the inappropriate short notice of the tour cancellation sent only by an email during the middle of the night.

Janez12, Owner at Discover Lake Tahoe - Scenic Bus Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

This tour cancelled due to lack of interest which has never happened before in 16 years.
We waited until 5pm the day prior to hopefully get some more sign ups. That never happened and finally I had to make a heart breaking decision to call the guests on the roster and inform them of cancellation, I felt devastated but for a small family owned business, sometimes that is necessary to sustain. Based on my phone records, I called the customer on the cell phone who'd written this review at 5:02pm personally and left a minute long voice mail. Based on my computer records, an e mail was also sent at 10:12pm in which I again apologized for the inconvenience and assured that refund was being processed.
Again, I'm very sorry for the inconvenience my company had caused to the guests looking forward to the trip to Yosemite.

Sincerely
owner of Discover Lake Tahoe Tours

There are newer reviews for Discover Lake Tahoe - Scenic Bus Tours

Reviewed 9 August 2014

If you do not know Yosemite (and let me tell you I can't imagine anyone knowing it like Snow-shoe John our guide) this is the tour you have to do.
This tour was exceptionally well organised; our guide was incredibly knowledgeable and passionate about the wilderness and environment; the food was delicious and plentiful. Also it wasn't just about the park itself, all the way there and back he kept us entertained and informed. We stopped at excellant facilities on the way there and back and Snow-shoe even reeled off the menu of our dinner stop and gave recommendations.
I can't praise this tour highly enough, worth every penny and some. The only way to see Yosemite if you only have one day.

1  Thank FiBlake
Janez12, Owner at Discover Lake Tahoe - Scenic Bus Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

By taking your time and writing a review will help many future visitors choose what to do
here in Lake Tahoe during their stay. You folks came all the way from England and joined us
on our trip, thank you so much and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We took this 13 hour guided tour from South Lake Tahoe. The group of 24 travelled on a small bus through this fantastic National Park. We were so happy we did not try this drive on our own. We might have been lost and certainly would not have known what we were looking at. In order to see the natural treasures of Yosemite, you must be willing to drive deep into the park. It was a 2 hour drive to the entrance and then another 2 hours on winding scenic roads up to Bridal Falls, Half Dome and Cathedral rocks etc. Our guide "Snow Shoe John" gave expert narration on everything related to the area, its history and the ecosystem. His passion for the park was very evident. We made stops for pictures, coffee, a wonderful, healthy picnic lunch and dinner so the long day was easily tolerable. We highly recommend you see Yosemite this way....the knowledge gained was priceless.

1  Thank MaryGoody
Janez12, Owner at Discover Lake Tahoe - Scenic Bus Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Mary,

I cannot thank you enough. I'm glad you enjoyed the tour so much.

Trip advisor reviews are so important and not many guests take their time to

write them.

thank you again and hope to see you back soon

Owner, Discover Lake Tahoe Tours

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Excellent close up tour of the entire Lake Tahoe perimeter plus side trip to Squaw Valley with wonderful and informative narration by the driver. Pick up and drop off at your hotel - a convenience and time-saver for busy tourists, and no parking hassles. Saw things and learned facts about Tahoe that you would never have known except from an expert.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

He said we can call him Shoe, Snow or John, but to us he was the spirit of Yosemite. Snowshoe John, our guide for an amazing 10-hour tour around Yosemite, is part mountaineer, part hiker, part historian and part spirit guide.

He almost never stopped telling us interesting, surprising, and informative things about Yosemite, environmentalism, Civil War history, sustainability - somehow Yosemite became a metaphor for how to treat the earth properly. The only time he was anything but cool was when he found trash that people hadn't picked up. He then coaxed us all to find some trash lying around that didn't belong in nature, living the lesson of leaving nature better than we found it.

Never boring, good sense of humor, worked really hard setting up a great breakfast and a great lunch that he shopped for that day. A few easy hikes (walks really) that most anyone can do. Bring cameras.

I listed the visit as Family with teens, but we actually had our daughter and her fiance (no teens) and everyone loved it. If you have just 1 day for Yosemite, or even if you have a few but want to start it out right, ask for Snowshoe John.

1  Thank RAH995
Janez12, Owner at Discover Lake Tahoe - Scenic Bus Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your review. It's easy for me to tell guests how good our tours and our driver / tour guides are, but now I can just refer them to the Trip Advisor reviews
where they get a direct feedback from someone that just took one.