“Much better on the inside than the outside.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Alder Inn

Alder Inn
Ranked #5 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Swansea S.Wales
“Much better on the inside than the outside.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

As another reviewer mentioned the inn looks a bit basic when you drive in but the location is good as its set back from the busy main road nearby, but once in the room its lovely. We were given the choice of 2 rooms and they both looked nicely decorated, each with its own theme. I had looked at their own website before booking and liked them all.
We were given a warm welcome and given a few maps of the area as well as suggestions on where to eat nearby.. Our room was large and the bed comfy with nice quality bedding, towels and bathrobes. There was also a huge revolving armchair with matching footstool which was as comfy to snuggle in as the bed! Our only criticism would be the complete lack of drawer space, although we were only there for 2 nights it was part of a 2 week holiday and not all clothes can be hung up and I hate living out of a suitcase.

Room Tip: A lot of the rooms can be viewed on their own website so its worth having a look at, but it was exce...
1 Thank pandmg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Chandler, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

I saw that many others had rated Alder Inn a 5, and there were occasional 1s---but I'm an optomist, so we decided to stay here this past week for our 20th wedding anniversary. South Lake Tahoe is beautiful this time of year--boy, do I wish I had been camping. Here were the good things:
1) The owner and hotel staff were very nice.
2) The room has contemporary decorations.
3) The other guests were friendly.
Here were the rest:
1) The rooms are TINY. It had a king-sized bed, small amoire (which has a microwave above the flat screen TV, 3 small drawers below), two smallish chairs and a TV tray-sized table between them. The closet has three hangers (other than the 2 used by the provided robes). The bathroom is terribly small, made more so by the fact that the coffeemaker and fixins are set up on the counter. The single sink is smashed all the way to the left, by the shower room. It just wasn't comfortable trying to wash my face in the tiny sink.
2) The king-sized bed was a little too worn. The bed was a little sunken on both sides, making it hard to get comfortable. The bedding was very comfortable, but I am always wary when there are large, decorative comforters on the bed---how often can those be washed?
3) The side tables were tiny, and every time I placed my Kindle on mine, it would bump my phone off.
4) The room was not clean. The floor has a worn berber carpet, that is very dirty. It continued into the sink area, which was gross to stand on after showering. I was not comfortable removing my shoes. The shower room started to smell a little like urine on day two, and when I looked close, there was dirt in the vinyl floor design. We did gamble late, so I didn't have housekeeping in to clean, but three days without a housekeeper shouldn't cause the room to smell like urine---my housekeeper comes every two weeks, and my bathroom at home doesn't EVER smell like urine.
5) The phone didn't work to call the office. When I walked over to the office after trying to call twice, the owner stated that it doesn't work well because it was "hit by lightening". What???
6) The cable became very snowy on the first day, and wasn't fixed by the third day. As a concession to my husband, we picked up food and stayed in Monday night to watch football. That was terrible, because the "digital TV" wasn't working. When I got the owner to come look at it, he fiddled around with it, then discovered that it was the same in another room and he would have to call the digital service. That was Monday night. It wasn't fixed when we left Wednesday morning, and I never heard about it again.
7) The wi-fi was so spotty, that I couldn't even use my tablet to watch Netflix when the TV was out. I never asked anyone about this, after getting no help with the TV.

The owner has only been there since July, and he may not have worked out the bugs of this place. We stayed in Room 19, chosen because it was a first floor (and my husband has bad knees). The weather outside was SO BEAUTIFUL that I wished we had been camping, instead of staying in the hotel.

Needless to say, this was not the trip I'd hoped it would be. I enjoyed the park near the lake, the weather, and Base Camp Pizza a great deal. I did not enjoy the stay at this remodeled Motel 6, and don't plan to come back. I do, however, have suggestions for improvements.

Suggestions:
1) Remove and replace all carpet.
2) Stop the carpet at the beginning of the sink area, and start ceramic tile that runs through to the bathroom.
3) Get new showerheads---something from the 90s or newer.
4) Have housekeeping clean the walls in the bathroom with antimicrobial cleaner.
5) Get shower curtains that attach (with suction cups, maybe?) to the wall so we don't have shower water soaking the floor of the toilet area.
6) Get a way for the bolt locks to work on the doors when the guests leave!

Overall, I'd have to say if I was just driving through and needed a spot for one night, this may have been a good choice. But, this should NOT be your destination.

Room Tip: There are 24 rooms (I think), and I only stayed in room 19.
4 Thank Andrea J
Watsonville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

We chose the Alder Inn based on Tripadvisor reviews. It was our first time staying in the area. We arrived late and found the door to the office closed but there was a nice note for latecomers with check in information. From the outside the place looks simple, welcoming. Even the pine cones were lined up in a decorative way as we walked up the stairs to our room. We opened the door to find a room decorated not with the generic cookie cutter decor but rich fabrics, decorative pillows, coordinating wall art and a very cozy lounge chair. A tray on the bed held a welcome note and some candies. Even the wash area was beautiful with a full wide mirror and just about every little thing you could want in a motel bathroom! Including Breath Right Strips, Make Up Remover, Individual tooth brush packs and a wash rag for Make up removal.
The bed was so comfortable it was hard to leave. Ample supply of pillows and a big cozy comforter. The lounge chair also had a lush dark brown blanket of its own.
Outside are picnic tables with charming large wooden tic tac toe and checkers game boards. They also offer bikes to borrow. The pool/hot tub area was very nice and there are towels available right there. Before we left the area I knew i would be returning soon with a friend. I Emailed the owners and simply through email not only booked a room for my next stay but they also changed the room to a bottom floor for easier accessibility for my friend.
It is located far enough off the street that we enjoyed two very quiet nights but it is still so centrally located we were within minutes of great restaurants and we could have walked to the lake if we had so chosen to. Even before leaving we knew this had become a place we will easily look forward to returning to.

1 Thank Nan M
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night at Alder Inn. Was a little concerned by outside appearance but no need to worry, this is a great place! Rooms are tastefully decorated. So cute I took pictures to share with friends at home.The bed was amazing! Wished we could have stayed an extra day. Doug, who checked us in, was so welcoming and ready to do anything to make our stay perfect. Wi-fi iffy depending on your location. Nice plus is location is off main road so did not hear any road traffic.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

We recently booked a night at the Alder Inn for our quick trip to Lake Tahoe. I totlaly recommend this hotel to anyone travelling there. We had booked a queen room but were upgraded to a KING! The room was tastefully decorated as opposed to your standard cookie cutter hotel room. The amenities were outstanding, Free Bikes to ride around town, pool, hot tub. The staff was the best; cheerful and knowledgeable. Restaurants are within walking distance. Cookies and snacks free in the lobby, personal keurig coffe makers in your room. Orgainic bath products and more!

1 Thank bbikes
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

We booked the Alder Inn because of the reviews on Tripadvisor, but when we pulled into the forecourt I thought that maybe we had got the wrong place - it looked like a pretty average motel. However, don't be fooled by the exterior. Firstly, we were very warmly welcomed by the staff who were friendly and helpful throughout our stay. Note, however, that there is generally no staff on site after 6:00pm. They are always available on the phone, but there were a couple of late arrivals one day who hadn't realised and were wandering around looking rather confused.

The rooms were tastefully furnished and extremely well equipped. There was a decent coffee maker and every toiletry product you could ever need! There was no air-con, but this is common around Lake Tahoe as it does get quite chilly at night, so it's not really necessary.

There was a light breakfast included in the price with juice, muffins, pastries, etc, which was just enough to start the day.

The only minor negative points were that the TV in the room was a bit small and the wi-fi was a bit dodgy unless you go over to the office.

But overall, a really nice place and well recommended.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

The Alder Inn offers excellent rooms - thoughtfully and stylishly decorated and with great facilities - at good value. It has a motel look to it - all rooms open directly outdoors, onto the parking lot, but not a motel feel. The swimming pool and hot tub is a great facility - the hot tub in particular is huge.

During our stay we did not meet the owners but everything was taken care of. A drawback - no fault of the inn - was nearby roadworks into the small hours.