“Three+ star service at a two star hotel==5 star rating!”
Review of Pinewood Inn

Pinewood Inn
Ranked #61 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Fremont, CA
“Three+ star service at a two star hotel==5 star rating!”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Having recently stayed at the Pinewood Inn, I think the older reviews should be somehow counter-balanced. For a budget hotel, I don't know what people would expect beyond a clean room. My experience with customer service was fine. Maybe it is because I respect all cultures and show that respect to those with whom I converse. After booking online, I checked in without any hassle. I even asked for an easily accessible room, as I have physical limitations due to neck/back problems. I was well accommodated with an easily accessed room. It appears to have been updated within the past several years, so no complaints here. If people had issues with their rooms, they might have been more courteous in requesting a different room (if available). From my experience, the owners/management were quite helpful. Again, perhaps it is the respect factor. I've stayed at more expensive hotels that have had similar issues with cleanliness--especially with towels. I've had more problems getting towels replaced at those places than I have at cheaper hotels. It's all relative. I don't go to McDonald's for customer service. If so, I'd expect to pay prices competitive with full-scale restaurants, but would also expect better service. That isn't what they offer. Likewise, a two-star hotel/motel offers basic amenities and that is all one should expect. Clean--not even extremely comfortable--is all one should expect from their stay here. If they are not reasonably satisfied, they should respectfully ask to have problems resolved.

During my extensive travels, I've also found that rooms that are damaged are NOT due to housekeeping or any other staff member. I'd bet my life that at least 98% of damage is caused by disrespectful customers. Quite frankly, I think people should have to sign a damage agreement to pay for repairs and/or pay insurance to repair damage due to negligence. They should also be rated, just like any other insurance company would require. As their rating drops, their premiums would increase. Unfortunately, this might be the only solution in a society where people have lost self-respect (hence, have no respect for others), feel an inane sense of self-entitlement, and a total lack of accountability.

Smaller hotels/motels would remain in much better shape if they were properly cared for (not maintained by having to constantly fix things that are broken by others' inconsideration). These people are trying to operate a small business; if all their money has to be re-invested for constant upkeep, they would not be able to earn a living. Travelers wonder why the cost of rooms is so high, but they don't realize the overhead involved in running a place, especially of this size. I hope that I get an infinite number of replies; I'm sure that anyone who disagrees will fall into the category of disrespectful, ignorant slobs who don't care about anybody but themselves. They are the ones who cause increases in prices; they are the ones who need to be accountable!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank lamentor79

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Glendale, Arizona
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I took my kids on a road trip, different cities, I love Lake Tahoe, but being on a budget with 3 kids & really trying to fing a nice hotel/motel was not easy. When I checked in I asked the man at the front desk if he can get me a room (2 beds) he said, "sure, $50" I asked if he could honor the price I saw online for $35 (it was after all a Tuesday) he was trying to negotiate, but gave in. We satyed in room #4. My son wants to shower, grabs a towel & throws it saying, "gross there's a poop stain" grabs another its also dirty. Let's just say thank GOD I packed towels. No way I was going to go argue with the front desk guy he might want to negotiate those too.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Pinguina_78

Travellers are raving about these South Lake Tahoe hotels

Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We stayed here on one night of a 3-day winter weekend when almost everything in town was booked, and found it much nicer than reviews indicated. We did have to point out that the internet rate was lower than the rate they quoted when we arrived, but were quickly given the internet rate. The room was quiet considering it is right on the road. The room had new carpet, paint, bed, tile, mini-fridge, etc. Very comfortable and convenient. Towels are small and thin and shampoo is small sample, but it is rated as a basic hotel so we had no complaints and we happy with our stay.

Room Tip: We were given the handicap room, closest to the road. It was the only room left. It is very spacious...
Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Pam W
Millbrae, California
Reviewed 21 December 2012

These hotel has nice location yes, but the management here are crazy and very very rude! I came to this hotel asked their room rate, and the guy Indian told me that it is $80 for double beds, and when I was about to leave, he bargained to give me $70 and finally we came to $50 all in, good deal if I may say. We were supposed to stay for just a night so that's what we paid for, and when we decided to stay another night, I came to their office and asked to extend our stay, the crazy indian lady in the front desk then told me in a very hysterical manner that the price will be different and that it's gonna be $65 for the next night that we are staying and told me that if we don't like it then we can leave. When I came back to tell her that I booked online instead since it's cheaper online, and I overheard him giving a lower price to another customer so I asked why she can't give us that same price, right then and there she was shouting and telling me she didn't want to argue and she was actually asking me to get out of the office!!! Lunatic!

Room Tip: just don't stay in this hotel very rude management
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Joanna U
Davis
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I've stayed here 3 different times and have not experienced the negative things described in other reviews. Yes...it is a basic, cheap motel..but it is located close to shopping, restaurants, and not far from the Heavenly gondola, the Lakeside park on Lake Tahoe and the stateline casinos. The rooms are old-style with wooden paneling..nothing fancy..but for me...it is worth what I am paying and, since I am on a tight budget...it fits my needs just fine. For sure..these are not luxury accomodations...but you get what you pay for.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Jennifer W
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 6 November 2012

DO NOT STAY HERE. The proprietors of the PINEWOOD INN are completely deceitful scammers. They use a "bait & switch" method for luring people with pets in to stay. We were taking a trip up to Tahoe with our two small Boston terriers, and found this place on Priceline.com which said "Pets Allowed" on their website. Only when we actually arrived at the Pinewood Inn did the owners inform us it would be an additional $25 per pet per night!!! This is ridiculous if you consider that the rooms are $35 per night for TWO PEOPLE!!! So they wanted an extra $50 a night for our pets to stay and I said no thank you, I will stay elsewhere. The deceitful owners then informed me that they have a 24-hour cancellation policy, and since it was within 24 hours, they would still charge my credit card for the full price of the room. THIS IS COMPLETE FRAUD.

When I called Priceline up to tell them what had happened, they informed me that there was nothing they could do for me. Are you kidding me???? Priceline is just as guilty of this fraud as is the Pinewood Inn as Priceline allows scammers like this to perpetuate their business online!!!! I am a VERY DISSATISFIED customer, and will not being using Priceline again, as they are not customer-oriented at all, but rather take the side of the merchant.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
11 Thank Paul M
Charleston
Reviewed 11 September 2012

When I travel Iook at cost, convenience and comfort. If you want a floatinf bar and drinks with umbrellas-this is not for you. If you want a place to hang your hat and res tcomfortably at the end of a busy touring day--this is the place. Convenience is a real plus for this facility as it it located smackdab in the middle of the busy Lake Tahoe Blvd within walking distance to everything from laundromat to casinos and everything inbetween typical of a tourist location. Best of all it is very modest in cost.

Room Tip: All rooms equal.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank edcawthorn
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Lake Tahoe
National 9 Inn - South Lake Tahoe
National 9 Inn - South Lake Taho...
#43 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Econo Lodge Heavenly Village Area
Econo Lodge Heavenly Village Are...
#53 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Budget Inn South Lake Tahoe
Budget Inn South Lake Tahoe
#75 of 119 in Lake Tahoe (California)
Rodeway Inn Casino Center
#58 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
The Trailhead
The Trailhead
#44 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe

Been to Pinewood Inn? Share your experiences!