“The only good thing I can say about this place...”

Travelers Inn & Suites
Ranked #41 of 66 Hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Los Angeles, CA
“The only good thing I can say about this place...”
Reviewed 29 February 2008

... is that it was within walking distance of the Heavenly Gondola, and there was a good sushi joint across the street.

We stayed here over President's Day weekend. The room rate was $59 per night and the location was good. I know you get what you pay for, and I don't mind staying in a dive.

This place is a dive. That's putting it nicely. The walkways upstairs are covered in tattered Astroturf. The pavement in the parking lot is crumbling. The motel itself is dilapidated.

We checked in around 1am, and the fellow behind the counter was of grumpy countenance. They really nickel & dime you. It's $10 per extra room guest. Every hotel I have ever been to will charge extra for extra room guests, but usually they assume people travel in pairs and don't start charging until guest #3. Here, they charge $10 per +1. Pets? That's another $10. I didn't dare ask for an extra towel.

Speaking of towels, I have stayed in some no-frills places, but damn, this was the coarsest towel I have *ever* encountered. The Astroturf outside was softer and better-worn that this. And the bathroom itself, though not a total loss, was still in dire need of remodeling.

I did not encounter the cleanliness issues other reported. My fridge was spotless and odorless. The microwave was equally sanitary. There was no hair on the floor or sheets. The bed was made and tidy (though the sheets were coarse, too). It was simply no-frills, and I expected that.

The motel is family-owned and operated, and that includes maid-service. We were going to hit the mountain in a few minutes, os i put the maid service sign on the door. The housecleaner swooped right in unexpectedly, then curtly let us know that they do all the cleaning themselves, and if we didn't want the maid, we shouldn't put out the sign. We put the sign up again as soon as we left.

Problem was, when we came back for lunch, our door was open! We went in and checked to see if anything was tampered with or stolen. We asked the maid (who was in the hallway around the corner) if she was cleaning the room because we were concerned aobut the open door. Then she got mad at us for putting out the maid sign when we supposedly didn't want the maid. We *did* want the maid! We just didn't want our room to be left open when unsupervised!!!

My traveling companion said the motel manager gave him the evil eye because I had not declared his presence. I fibbed by saying I traveled alone, but it saved me $30.

The only time I felt like they were being nice to me was at check-out. At least he didn't tack on the $30 for having a stowaway.

You get what you pay for. The only thing this place has got in its favor is location. A mile further down the road, I'd guarantee you they'd be out of business.

• Liked — Location was great!
  • Disliked — The place is dumpy.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank GumdropGirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
San Francisco
Reviewed 29 July 2006

We came into town late in the afternoon without reservations and after looking around for awhile for an air conditioned room (it was very hot) we met the front desk woman (who is presumably the head of the family who lives on the property). She told us we wouldn't find anywhere else with air conditioning and nobody else would be as cheap as them on a Saturday night. I would have rather slept in my car after this awful experience. I went into the room (which we paid a ridiculous rate of $150!) which was in poor taste, with a stinky fridge, and hairs all over the bathroom. The linens were filthy, the shower was clogged up, and the whirlpool was long ago disconnected. The sign on the front of the building, along with the lady, told us that there was air conditioning. Upon settling into our room, we noticed that it did not work. I went to tell her and in her most innocent face she tells me that no room have air conditioning, they have 'water coolers'. She totally lied to us! In addition to this, the electricity went out around 9pm until 6:30 AM and they would not offer us a discount or refund. Their kids were loud and played outside all night keeping us up even after we requested they keep it down. Please, don't go here. You'll be sorry!

Stayed July 2006
21 Thank angrytravelerz

Travellers are raving about these South Lake Tahoe hotels

San Francisco
Reviewed 1 August 2005

We have never had this experience! We just needed a place to crash in Lake tahoe for our weekend trip and booked travelers inn since we found a good price on the internet and it was close to the Heavenly village.
This inn is run by family staying on the premises and they are absolute crooks. First, they refused that we have booked a room with them and claimed that we need a confirmation number from the motel instead of from the booking website! It happened right after they saw the price on the confirmation printouts - I guess they figured they could rent to somebody else for the weekend for much better price. Since we figured it will be a lot of hassle to go look around for another hotel, we said we could pay more and viola, a room appeared out of nowhere!
To add to our woes, the room was a complete dump even though we were expecting the bare minimum. We were really grossed by the bed sheets (probably unchanged) which had hairs all over. There was a fridge in the room, but it stank so bad that it ruined whatever we had to eat/drink.
Stay away at all costs!

22 Thank ramtaJogi
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Lake Tahoe
National 9 Inn - South Lake Tahoe
National 9 Inn - South Lake Taho...
#53 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Econo Lodge Heavenly Village Area
Econo Lodge Heavenly Village Are...
#51 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Budget Inn South Lake Tahoe
Budget Inn South Lake Tahoe
#70 of 119 in Lake Tahoe (California)
The Trailhead
#34 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Best Choice Inn South Lake Tahoe
Best Choice Inn South Lake Tahoe
#46 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe

Been to Travelers Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!