Domus Laeta
  • Pool
La Sorgente(Paestum)
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Our plans kept changing & Domus Laeta was able to accomodate every change, even a last minute change when we wanted to add an extra day. Our room was charming with a view over the pool & the valley with Jasmine blooming along the edge. It was the old wine cellar with barrel vaulted ceiling. Antiques & a clever storage area for blouses, etc., an old travel trunk with wood hangers, nice touch. A totally modern bathroom with a great shower.
Many choices for breakfast, all of them delicious. Breakfast was served on the terrace overlooking the valley & the sea off in the distance.
Would love to stay there again if the fates should have it.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

The villa is beautiful and the pool area with its views are lovely (but they don't overlook Paestum's ruins as I saw in one description). The rooms are spacious and have a really lovely antique style, and the interiors overall are lovely. We were disappointed to be met by someone who wasn't expecting us, and to receive no information about the hotel or surrounding area when we arrived - there was no info about local restaurants, breakfast times etc in the rooms, and as we arrived on a Sunday this left us a bit stuck for places to go. The town itself is pretty enough, but really has nothing else to commend it - food options are really limited, and it's a long way from anything. That may well be what some people want, but we wanted a choice of not driving on a day if we didn't feel like it. The breakfast is made a big deal of on the website, but we had far better in other places in a similar price range. Overall, the place was nice, but we just didn't feel very welcome there.

1  Thank drpoll
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed at this inn this spring, well before the main season. The owner was not in residence and I was the only guest. A young man from India with the nickname "Vikky" (that's my guess on the spelling) was the host. Vikky is an all around handy man here and also greets the guests and serves dinner. His brother in law is the cook (and also has 3 adorable identical daughters around age 3). I felt a bit like old royalty while I was here. I had the run of the property and Vikky was ever the friendly host (and the house cat spent quite a bit of time on my lap as well).

The first night I had dinner there (they were expecting two other guests but I guess they were no shows). So, I ate alone, with a bottle of wine just for me, served by Vikky.....it was easy to feel like royalty. The next couple of nights they pulled the plug on dinner (happily some semblance of efficiency has arrived at least in some parts of Italy), and so I dined at La Torretta down the street -- I was the only customer there too (see my review of the restaurant separately).

The inn is an old country house of privilege back in the day, and it remains in the hands of the same family. To see the fate of these old houses, look no further that across the street. One grand old house has been torched, while the other is abandoned gradually deteriorating as time goes by.

You should not expect the Ritz Carlton. This is an old house that has been converted to an inn, so there are compromises in lots of places. What distinguishes this property is the opportunity is affords you to get some feel for the way the one-percenters of yesteryear used to live. All the pictures of the property are accurate. It is a nice property with nice views. And Giungano is a very nice little town -- extremely clean and surprisingly rich in public areas (I had the feeling that someone important lived around here).

The inn is ideally suited to visit Paestum (only about 30 minutes away). You also can drive over various country roads to get a feel for this part of Italy. Or, of course, you can just hang out at the inn and Giungano for a couple of days and take the opportunity to relax in style.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This historic villa Is in an idyllic setting with fantastic views all the way to Capri. Camilla and her daughter are gracious hosts and very welcoming, nothing is too much trouble. The village itself is wonderful old Italy and largely unaffected by tourism. I particularly like the little bar a few doors down? There a several very good cafes close by which are low key and unpretentious but the food is divine, lots of seasonal produce. Dinner at Domus Laeta is a great experience on the terrace with the best view ever. We were very sad to leave as it seemed like home.

Room Tip: Rooms on the terrace are lovely
1  Thank Paul S
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This is a fabulous house, you'll feel privileged to stay. The pool and terrace has wonderful views down the valley. The town itself is charming and beautiful. Lots of local colour and events. The owner sometimes cooks or hosts parties and her meals are excellent and the events great fun. The surrounding countryside is spectacular. All in all, a wonderful place to experience.

Room Tip: If you are worried about it, ask for air con
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel