“Very Nice Hotel in Tuscan Mountains”

Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Resort & Spa
Bratislava, Slovakia
“Very Nice Hotel in Tuscan Mountains”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. I was attending a conference held at the hotel. The hotel is high up in the mountains and so usually you get nice hot weather with breezes. However, most of the time was quite cold, rainy and with thunderstorms. There is a popular outdoor swimming pool. The hotel is fairly isolated and it is a long walk down hill (cca 5km). The view from the restaurant´s terrace at breakfast or lunch is superb.
Breakfast, lunches and dinners included a wide range of dishes (mainly Italian food: meat, pasta and a lot of salads) which I enjoyed trying. The desserts were delicious. The breads were tasty but bread crust was like a rock (a little bit dangerous for your gingivae). Otherwise there was a good range of fruit juices.
My room was away from the main hotel so you needed an umbrella when it rained. The room was air conditioned but was not working all the time because of the colder weather. There were a very good shower gel, shampoo and lotion. The conference facilities were very good, but for coffee breaks not enough snacks (mainly some sweets).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
RenaissanceTuscany, Manager at Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Ulmooo,

Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor. Your review is like music to my ears.

We appreciate your feedback and I am very delighted to see that your stay was satisfactory.

Your comments are very valuable and we already shared them with our team.

Thank you for choosing Renaissance Tuscany il Ciocco Resort & Spa and we look forward to welcoming you back on your future visits to Tuscany

Sincerely

Room Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

The hotel is in an unbeatable setting which is just plain beautiful. The rooms are great and the staff was accommodating and dedicated to making my stay a pleasure. Upon arrival, I found that my room shared a balcony with several other rooms and given that I like to sleep with the door open, this made me uncomfortable. Not that there is any crime here but coming from New York it is hard to part with my animal instincts. I returned back to the reception where the manager, Ms Antonia Cavani, proceeded to change my room for one more to my liking. The new room was amazing; a corner room at the top of the hotel with two windows to the valley below and a delightful small balcony. The room was impecable, quiet, and in great surroundings. I travel quite a bit worldwide and the curtesy of the staff like Sara at the reception, quality of the rooms and hotel, as well as the views were unmatched. I will come back with my family; it will be a great vacation.

Room Tip: corner suites with two windows facing the valley are the best
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Julio F,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Hotel.

I was very much pleased to read your great comments about our hotel and about our associates and the service we provide. I will pass your kind words to Antonia, Sara and all other associates.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Thank you also for choosing the Renaissance Tuscany il Ciocco Resort & Spa.

Kindest regards,

Room Division Manger
League City, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I booked two nights at the RENAISSANCE TUSCANY IL CIOCCO RESORT & SPA in Barga, Italy. Valeria Malzica arranged the booking with professionalism and courtesy. I was very impressed.
When I arrived at the Renaissance Tuscany on June 29th, I expected the same professional standard that Ms. Malzica displayed in her emails as well as the superb attention to detail and personal assistance we received from Mr Luca at the Naples, Renaissance, Italy, during July, 2013.
FIRST INCIDENT
I arrived at the reception desk at the Renaissance Tuscany at around 1.15 pm. I was treated with a blank stare from two receptionists. No welcome greeting. I mentioned my last name which was repeated incorrectly a minute later.
I was told that I was early and it would take about an hour to finish up with the room, and would I like to be seated on the terrace and have some refreshments.
I asked the receptionist two times whether I would be called within the hour. She said yes, someone would come and notify me.
Almost two hours later my husband and I decided to enquire about the room. I approached the reception desk. The initial person who checked me in was absent. There were two employees on either side of the desk deep in conversation. Whether it was of a personal nature or not, I do not know. I do not understand Italian, but they did not even see me approach them. As a paying guest I expected them to acknowledge my presence. I felt disconcerted.
Finally, I spoke out and asked them how many refreshments I had to have before being notified about the readiness of the room. I was totally ignored. They carried on speaking to each other. I repeated what I had said. The staff member in front of the receptionist’s desk spun around and accosted me in a very cutting manner.
When a guest speaks to a receptionist, a staff member who is in conversation with that receptionist, quite frankly, stops talking. This is especially so in an international environment where the guest may have urgent need of their advice.
It is beyond the pale for the staff member then to sharply turn on the unsuspecting guest, and rudely order her to wait her turn since she was speaking to the receptionist.
It is elementary hospitality trade practice for hotel staff to make allowances for foreign guests. Hotel staff are not paying guests. When a guest appears discomfited, there is usually good reason for the irritation. It is for staff to assess the reason for the discomfort. Thereafter they may correct the guest politely if necessary.
I had been informed by reception almost two hours previously that I would be told in about an hour of whether our room was ready for occupation. After about two hours I naturally went to reception to enquire about the readiness of the room. I did not raise my voice, nor was I aggressive in any manner at all. Whereupon the staff member identifiable in the photograph (taken by my husband who had heard her rudely remonstrating with me), harshly turned on me.
I was extremely embarrassed by her aggression. When, at length, she had finished her business with the receptionist leaving me to cringe in embarrassment all the while, she spun around turning her back to me without any sense of my discomfiture, to simply walk away. She made me feel as if I were the lowliest, most humble member of the hotel cleaning staff - not a loyal Marriott USA member of almost 14 years standing and a paying guest.
But the event was soon seen as standard behavior, probably acceptable to the manager. When I finally had the attention of the receptionist asking her why she had not informed me of the state of readiness of our room, I was informed, without any apology at all for the inconvenience, or my treatment, that rooms were only ready for occupation at 3 pm. To which I replied that her colleague had told me that I would be called within the hour, i.e. by about 2:15 pm.
I then moved off to the easy chairs some twenty-five yards away where my husband was waiting. He told me that he had not only witnessed the entire spectacle – he is somewhat conversant in Italian – but that he had photographed the staff member in question as well as the receptionist with a view to informing both Renaissance Management and Marriott USA of our poor welcome - that had already left a bitter taste.
To add further insult to injury, hardly a minute passed before the self-same receptionist walked up to us – again without a word of apology or appreciation of the situation she had been part of, only a few minutes before – to inform me that “Your room is ready.” She then unceremoniously pushed her hand out with the words “Here are your cards”.
Both her and her colleague’s attitude and approach to their jobs (one can hardly credit ‘vocation’) were crass and boorish in the extreme, leading us to later surmise that they had been sacked a short time before so that both thought that they had nothing to lose in venting their fury on paying guests so as to get back at hotel management.
This experience is unacceptable and undeserving of the usual high standards we have experienced especially at the Renaissance Naples last year where we were attended to by Mr. Luca, going far beyond the call of duty to advise and assist.
Please tend to your poorly trained and/or selected personnel, an experience already noted twice in Trip Advisor. The photographs speak for themselves.
SECOND INCIDENT
As if this wasn’t enough, between 5 and 6 pm that evening, having collapsed in bed after driving on narrow Ligurian town roads and Autostrada for more than six hours, we were awakened out of deep sleep by what appeared to be an army of luggage being hauled about immediately above us over poorly spaced tiles, accompanied by a chaos of mixed and highly audible voices.
Half asleep, the mind conjured mad Dalian scenes from bizarre nothingnesses gradually emerging into an aural hell while barely awake enveloped by a down-gentle duvet cover. How could tiles be above us when our room was carpeted? Was there a parking lot above disgorging loads of luggage on roller-skates? A storeroom being spring-cleaned? The room being remodeled?
No, merely the work of an interior designer from Hades having sold someone important on the need to have the floor above fitted with widely-spaced terracotta tiles. This was exacerbated by management deciding to have staff do their thing - well after checking-in time while hauling cleaning equipment on rollers and dragging screeching furniture over the tiles, without any regard for the comfort of guests below.
Why cleaning staff cannot be issued with soft mop-like brooms, like in the USA, if they have to clean the room after the checking-in time of guests below, again attests to the poor state of management expertise at this hotel.
I left the room to find out what was happening, and my husband wondering out loud why we had bothered to check into this unwelcome institution. I found cleaning staff conducting themselves loudly laughing and joking as they saw my face of horror. They dismissed me with “cleaning above”. Why do they have to use a vacuum cleaner to clean a stone floor?? They seemed well aware of the noise they had generated. [Is this a common occurrence I ask myself? – if so, why has management not put a stop to it?] They joyfully told me that they had finished in the room, almost immediately after I had asked what had caused the commotion.
Like the principle that ‘Work expands to fill the time available for its completion’, this hotel apparently subscribes to the principle that ‘Hotels exist to employ staff the better to discomfit paying ‘guests’.’
The Renaissance Tuscany is a fine example of such sadistic excellence.
I always check on Trip Advisor before booking a foreign hotel. I thought that I had. I shall do so with extra care in future. This was the only Marriott affiliated hotel we strayed in during our almost five weeks in Europe this year. It was unpleasant.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not directly below the boardroom floor. The 4th floor has tiling and is very nois...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank shadypines
RenaissanceTuscany, Manager at Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear shadypines,
I would like to thank you for taking your time to write this review after your recent stay at the RenaissanceTuscany Il Ciocco Resort & Spa.

I am rather distressed to hear your negative comments and furthermore sorry that neither myself or a duty manager was contacted on property to possibly explain and apologize during your stay.

We however would like to thank you for your reservation at the Renaissance Tuscany and for the positive comments on Ms. Valeria from our Reservation Department that joins me in thanking you for your kind comments.

You’re a valued customer and everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience .

We apologize for your late check in , and for the manner which this was completed , as the type of room reserved ( an executive Valley view room with a king bed) , was not ready at the time of your arrival due to a 12,30 departure from the previous guest.

We would like to reassure you that the comments you have detailed have been taken up to the Department Head to avoid such incidents recurring in the future.

We also thank you for having posted a picture of the “staff members” that you have identified on Tripadvisor in order to work on the wrong attitude of the Ambassador that checked you in.

We avail ourselves , of this opportunity to informing you that one person displayed in the photo is an important guest , talking to the Receptionist and organizing the check-out of an important delegation that was departing the Hotel on that date .

We sincerely hope you will overlook our shortcomings on this instance and give us a second chance in order to revert your first negative impressions .

I would be obliged if you would contact my office directly for me to organize an incredible stay on your next visit.

Assuring you of our best attention at all times.
Yours sincerely ,

Maria Cristina Da Costa
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I stayed in this Hotel for 2 weeks on my honeymoon in May 2014. We had booked an executive room which had a stunning view and was furnished to a very high standard. The hotel staff are friendly, always willing to help and very knowledgeable about the local area.

There is wonderful local village called Barga which has some lovely restaurants and local shops. You are around 40 minutes drive from Lucca which is a historical walled city and also has excellent restaurants and shops. The breakfast is very nice, I didn't have an opportunity to use the restaurant but did have room service. It is good food, but a burger and chips will cost you 18EUR which is what it is. Aside from this, there is a Pizzeria around 1 minute walk from the hotel which strangely only opens for two evenings per week, it is closed at all other times which can be a bit of a pain if you wanted to have a drink and bite to eat outside of the hotel without having to drive everywhere.

Aside from this, I was very pleased with the Hotel and would highly recommend it as a place to stay as it has excellent spa facilities and is situated in a beautiful area up in the hills.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the hills
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rocketman222
RenaissanceTuscany, Manager at Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Rocketman 222,
Thank you very much for sharing you experience at the Renaissance Tuscany il Ciocco Resort & Spa.

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed our hotel, the sorroundings and staff willingness to offer the best service.

I hope that you will be back very soon in Tuscany and that you will choose our hotel again in the future.

New Canaan, Ct
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

We traveled through Italy and went heavy on the siteseeing so wanted to end our trip with a few days of more relaxation and went to this Renaissance Resort. We were quite happy to have spent 3 days here.

The hotel is off the beaten path high on a hillside with absolutely beautiful views. The hotel itself is lovely with a modern twist on classic decor. We were in the main hotel building on the 6th floors and the rooms were beautifully and comfortably decorated with a nice modern (and pretty big for Europe) bathroom. We found the beds particulary comfortable. The balcony with a couple of chairs for lounging was a very welcome addition.

The outdoor pool was very pretty, but we actually liked the indoor pool/spa (check out the fancy jets) and steam room as we had them practically to ourselves.

Front desk staff was very helpful and friendly.

Breakfast buffet was excellent with lots of good hot choices in addition to traditional European offerings.

The restaurants were good and of course eating good food with terrific wine is only enhanced with the gorgeous view. The one quibble I would have is that I think the property could benefit from either an additional restaurant or broadening out the offerings at the main (Veranda) restaurant. While the food was quite good, the Veranda's dinner menu had 4 steak entrees on it. Since the resort is not near to other off-property restaurant choices, if we had stayed here more than 3 days we would have felt limited in our choices. But for 3 dinners it was fine.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JEH_CT
Dear JEH_CT,

You cannot imagine how great we feel when we see how much we met your expectations during your stay at the Renaissance Tuscany il Cioccco Resort & Spa. Thank you very much for posting your comments on Tripadvisor, I am delighted to see that you enjoyed the place, the location, the room, the breakfast and our staff.

I hope to see you again in the very next future.

Best regards

Crsitina Da Costa
Crawley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed here for 5 nights and had a great time. The view is beautiful, and it's so peaceful. The staff were very accommodating and helpful with us. Gilberto the buggy driver was very helpful on more than one occasion. My husband is in a wheelchair and Antonia on reception couldn't do more to help us, allowing us to view three rooms before choosing which one would be best for our needs. We chose a lovely room in the small annex just off reception, across the courtyard. Beautiful room but tricky to get to the main building when it rains! The room had a lovely terrace and a lovely big marriott king bed which was very comfy. The room was a great size but the view made it. I was glad we paid for an executive room. Pay the extra, it's really worth it. To get a view on the backside of the hotel would be really uninspiring.
The pool area was a lovely place to while away the hours, as were the terraces of the restaurants.
My main reason for four stars instead of five is the limited choice of food on offer. Being so far from anywhere we ate in the hotel every night and by the end we were very bored with the selections. The bar food was mediocre (poor pizza considering we were in Italy!) and the terrace restaurant was limited unless you liked pricey T-bone steaks. The restaurant upstairs was pleasant but again limited choice and tricky to reach without a lift. For lunch there was really very little to choose from on the days we stayed close to home. In fact the room service menu has more options than the restaurants!

Would come back if we were ever this way again. We had a lovely time. Thank you.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Wobblelegs 2009,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel; I have enjoyed reading your commnts and appreciate your feedback about the hotel, room, swiming pool, staff and the services we provided.

Please note that your opinion is very important for us and your review is shared with Antonia and all our team. I am glad to see that we have lived up to your expectations and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Tuscany, we promise you to do our best to have more food choises at our restaurants.

Many thanks again
Sincerely

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Highly recommend this Rennaissance Resort. The Spa gave a fabulous massage with undescribable ammenities for relaxation. The Spa offers a soothing pool with whirlpool and theraputic showers and sauna. The bar has a very hospitable staff and a very complete menu that we chose from when we had dinner in our balcony to watch the sunset. The views are outstanding, great service all around, breakfast included was delicious and plentiful. You cannot go wrong and you will feel pampered. Make sure you drive in the daylight when you are trying to find it. No problem with a GPS.

Room Tip: Executive Status with Balcony facing the town of Barga.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
RenaissanceTuscany, Manager at Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear A5035805,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

We have enjoyed reading your description and appreciate your feedback about the hotel, SPA, Breakfast, staff and the services we provided, comments like these are encouraging us to do more and makes us very proud of our hotel and team.

Your review is very valuable to us and we have shared it with the entire team.

Again thank you very much and we look forward to welcoming you back very shortly.

Kind regards

San Luca Palace Hotel
Hotel & Terme Bagni di Lucca
Hotel & Terme Bagni di Lucca
#2 of 5 in Bagni di Lucca

Been to Renaissance Tuscany Il Ciocco Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!