“HOME AWAY FROM HOME”

Westwood House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dangan
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all there at the WestWood Hotel for your kindness and patience over the weekend.
This is our 4th stay at the hotel and second so far this year!!!
we arrived Friday evening 5 April 2013and Amy was there to greet us and check us in. We met Amy a few times over the course of the 3 nights we stayed there and she was very polite and accommodating, even on Saturday morning, even though there was a full house that night she moved us to another room as the bed was very uncomfortable in the first room. We were moved Also over the weekend we were dealing with Sheila who we have met and dealt with before, and of course she was lovely, helpful and although I ask a lot of questions and probably wrecked her head also, she was very patient. the staff in the bar an restaurant were also very nice and helpful. Karen in the bar is doing a great Job taking over from Claire. they are very hard shoes to fill but she is doing a great job, ye should all be very proud of the job you all do. the hotel is spotlessly clean. the staff in accommodation work really hard, and considering how hot the hotel is in the corridors through the first and second floor they do a fantastic job.
as always we look forward to our next trip to stay with you guys. thanks again

Room Tip: we always ask if there is a wedding or function on, as they are so busy with them so we can have a q...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2013

Dear 862JeanC,

Many many thanks for your very kind comments in relation to your recent stay here in The Westwood. We value every customer and are delighted to see some, like yourself, return time and time again. I have passed your comments on to Sheila and Amy in reception, as well as to Karen in the bar, and all of us look forward to welcoming you back again in the very near future.

Reviewed 7 April 2013

My husband, myself went for dinner in The Westwood today 7 april 2013 & were very disappointed with both the food & the service. On entering the Westwood we pushed a buggy around in circles looking for a seat. Staff were passing about us & none of them offered any kind of assistance to us. We ordered from the carvery which was poor. This counter was manned with only 1 staff member who did not want to be there. We weren't told there was another available menu.

My husband went the bar & was nearly 20minutes there ordering a glass of Guinness & a pot of tea. The bar service was very slow. The young bar man very acted very inexperienced & very unhelpful.

The only good thing today was one girl who was on the floor who was the only helpful person in there.
1st time in a long time in there, perhaps the last

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank corkABU
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

Dear corkabu,

I regret that your recent visit did not live upto your and our expectations. Please feel free to contact me directly via generalmanager@westwoodhousehotel.com so that I can elicit a little more detail on your experience.

Reviewed 27 March 2013

Stayed here for night recently, it was a very pleasant and great value stay. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The breakfast was delicious. Major bonus was the cafetiere and satchel of ground coffee in the bedroom along with usual instant tea and coffee.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 10,111,011
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2013

Dear 10111011,

Many thanks for your review of your recent stay here with us in The Westwood. Your comments are very kind indeed, in particular those relating to our staff, our breakfast, and the facilities in your bedroom. I have passed your comments on to all the relevant staff members, and we all look forward to seeing you back in The Westwood again in the very near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 25 March 2013

I'd been travelling all round Ireland on business and needed somewhere to stay at the last minute. I was exhausted when I arrived shortly before 9pm on a very cold and snowy Wednesday evening but recieved a warm welcome by the staff. I was also hungry and was told that the restaurant would stop taking orders at 9.....so I rushing in and explained to the friendly staff that I knew I was a bit late but really hungry. It wasn't a problem, they showed me to a table and I quickly ordered a lovely steak. I was so not disappointed either. The food was delicious. The restaurant was full as a tour party had arrived and were in fine spirits. I just wished I'd had stayed longer.
My room was lovely, dual aspect and the facilities first class. This is a grand hotel with some fine people offering a great, welcoming service.
I did leave my diary in my room though and when I called to ask if they would send it they kindly agreed but obviously, I'd incurr a postage charge to the UK.
All in all I was pretty pleased and I think would use this again as a base to do my business in Galway.

Room Tip: I didn't have the opportunity to use the facilities as I arrived late and had to leave early in...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Jacquie S

Dear Jacquie S,

Thankyou for your review of your recent stay here with us in The Westwood. I was delighted to read how the team here were able to look after you, in particular being able to send on to you the item you had left behind, and also being able to facilitate you with a lovely steak on that cold wintery night. We thank you for chosing The Westwood as your base in Galway and look forward to welcoming you back again in the very near future.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

I attended a wedding in this hotel on 16.03.13 and the air conditioning in the function room was absolutely appalling.
It went from roasting hot in the room to absolutely freezing cold. Four ladies at our table sat eating their meal with their winter coats on!! We were dying to get our soup so that we could hold it to warm up a little.
There were 11 people at our table and on average each of us asked for the air con to be turned off twice. That's twenty two times/complaints. It was absolutely horrific. It was so bad also on two tables nearby that the candelabras had completely melted down from the wind blowing them and had quenched before the main course arrived.
I saw a man relighting them at his table half way through. The service was extremely slow- many at our table would have had second helpings of fish but by the time the staff came around with extra, people were uninterested. I would definitely not consider my wedding to be here. It lacks the professional touches. The man who seemed to be overseeing waiting staff was very unkempt looking and was walking around with a headpiece looking all professional but with his shirt hanging out of his trousers. Just not up to standard overall. I would be absolutely horrified seeing guests at my wedding freezing cold and having to eat their meals with their coats on! Also- the start time from sitting for the meal to it finishing was over 3.5 hours. This was abolitely absurd. Tables should have been cleared swiftly. We all sat looking at finished dinner plates for at least fifteen minutes.
Very disappointed

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank DeirdreCatherine
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Dear DeirdreCatherine,

Thank you for your recent review. Air conditioning is neccessary in a room with close on 240 guests (as was the case on the day you refer to) seated for a prolonged period. All airconditioning works on the premis of removing warm air and replacing it with colder air in order to reach a desired temperature set point. We take our instructions in relation to that tempearture and when to turn the system on/off on any given day from the Bride & Groom as doing so from 240+ different guests would indeed cause "chaos".

The timeframe you refer to in relation to meal service is not accurate as a quick double check on our camera system verified timings from starter to dessert (last table served) and excluding speeches between starter and soup (approx +30mins) of less than 2hrs & 10 mins. This service time also included an additional sorbet course.

Finally I would just explain that we clear dishes at the same time for the full room and not individual tables. In a room with 23 + tables there will always be a time difference between the 1st and last being served / cleared and we find most guests and wedding couples are cognisent of that fact.

Again thank you for your review.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

I recently held my childs christening at the Westwood hotel and felt I should share my experience. This is the second christening I have held there and I can honestly say you could not get a better hotel in Galway to hold a function in. Customer service at this hotel is second to none. Every staff member I dealt with on both occasions were so friendly, helpful, cheerful and professional. I have just sent an email to the management thanking them for such a special day, I felt I should share this email on trip advisor as I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

'Hi Dave,
I would just like to say a huge thank you for a fantastic day last Saturday. The room was set up so beautifully and the kids play area was brilliant. The food was so gorgeous and everyone commented on how great the food tasted and on how well it was presented. Every member of staff I dealt with were so friendly and professional. The barman was amazing and he couldnt do enough for everyone. Eanna was so attentive and a pleasure to deal with. I must say the customer service in the Westwood hotel is second to none and I would highly recommend your hotel to everyone. Thank you so much again, I look forward to holding our next family occassion at your hotel. Thank you very much for all you did and for making my daughters christening a very memorable happy day. All the best to you and your staff in the future.
kind regards'

All the staff in the Westwood hotel are a pleasure to deal with in particular Eanna (manager), Damian (barman) and Dave Kelly (general manager). I am looking forward to having another private party at the Westwood. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of staying in Galway and to anyone thinking of holding a private function especially a wedding.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2013

Dear Kfahy2,

Many thanks for your very kind comments in relation to your recent event in our hotel. It was indeed our pleasure to look after you and your invited guests, and a delight for us to be chosen, once again, to be part of your little ones Christening day. Your thoughts relating to our staff are very much appreciated and I have passed them on to everyone involved.

We look forward to looking after you and your family for many years to come and wish each and every one of you the very best of health and happeness for the future.

Reviewed 12 March 2013

Having just paid 69 euros for a deluxe room we weren't expecting too much but had a lovely surprise on arrival. The foyer was very grand and the staff friendly and helpful. On arrival to our room we were amazed how big the room was. I've never seen such a huge bed and there was a separate area with dressing table as well as table and chairs. Dressing gown and slippers were waiting on the bed and the tea/coffee making included filter coffee. The interactive TV was a great bonus enabling the hire of current movies for 5 euros or less, which were just charged to your room. We were only staying one night but wished we could have stayed longer. Breakfast in the room was only 3.50 euros each which we availed of and added to the luxury experience! In the evening we dined in the Westwood Bar in the hotel and had a lovely meal in relaxed surroundings, although my boyfriend found his sausage and mash meal very salty. Cost of dinner wasn't too bad considering hotels of this quality can usually be pricey. Would strongly recommend a visit to this hotel, especially if you can get a good price!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Caroline F,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts of your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time here with us and will be sure to pass on your comments to the team here at the hotel.

Dave Kelly

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dangan
Jurys Inn Galway
#12 of 46 in Galway
Clybaun Hotel
Clybaun Hotel
#6 of 46 in Galway

Been to Westwood House Hotel? Share your experiences!