“Enjoyed our visit but we could have used some a/c :(”

Westwood House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dangan
Parlin, NJ
“Enjoyed our visit but we could have used some a/c :(”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed here last week, it is on the outskirts of Galway - we were planning on seeing Connemara and didn't want to stay in the heart of the city and we are glad we didn't, the roundabouts in Galway were a trip in itself! It was warm while we were there and the a/c wasn't working in our room. They offered to give us a different room but we only had one more night and didn't feel like moving. Great breakfast, friendly staff. I would recommend The Westwood Hotel but hopefully they repair the a/c in room 215...Also try the Westwood Burger in the bar, best I'd ever had!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
Dear MaryBethG,

Thank you for your recent review of your stay @ The Westwood. I apologise that the air-conditioning was not working in your room during your stay and for the impact that had on your nights rest. We do run a comprehensive maintenance regime and I will investigate why this was the case and have it rectified immediately. I was delighted to read that you rated our breakfast as great and that you found our staff friendly and indeed thank you for your rating for the Westwood Burger as the best you've ever had.

Kind regards,
Dave Kelly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Westwood House ended up being a good choice for us for 3 nights, as it was very close to Galway's City Centre (about 1.5 miles), but far away enough to avoid all the noise. It's a nice-sized hotel with with decent-sized rooms. I have a feeling that the property has seen better days, since the towels/washcloths were starting to get a little threadbare, and one of the bedside lamps was broken (the stand). The room was very clean, however, What stood out was the staff, especially Julie, the front desk clerk in the afternoons/evenings. She was pleasant, informative and helpful. Breakfast was included in the rate we chose, which was very reasonable. As I mentioned in my other reviews of our lodgings in Ireland, the choices were more than adequate, so you could eat as little or as much as you liked. Parking was free, which was an added bonus. We had two really good dinners in Galway's City Centre - Oscar's (outstanding fresh fish choices), and Rouge (nice French prix fixe meals), with a parking lot very closeby. If you don't want to stay in the "noisy" center of town, choose Westwood House. It's not a b&b, however, it's very comfortable.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear paulainsd,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us.

The bedside lamp which you mentioned has since been replaced, and we are currently in the process of upgrading all our bathroom towels, linen etc.

Your comments regarding our location and staff, in particular Julie are very positive indeed and I have passed them on to Julie and the rest of the team. I was delighted to read how you enjoyed your overall experience in Galway, and, should you choose to return, we would be delighted to welcome you back to The Westwood.

Chicago
Reviewed 14 October 2013

this was the 4th hotel we stayed at on our tour of Ireland. this is the only one that was not close to city center (in this case Galway). It was a short cab ride away. The room was clean and comfortable. The hotel bar was very nostalgic looking. Our tour hotels provided in most cases breakfast and sometimes dinner. The Westwood provided both in a private room. They had plenty of polite servers and the food was good, BUT they rushed us meals and were constantly cleaning up when were were not done eating. Did not provide a second cup of coffee and as I said before cleanup tables including the buffet table before we were finished. They spoiled the whole efect for alot of us.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear harborctylover,

Thank you for your review of The Westwood. I was dissapointed to read that you did not rate your stay with us as highly as the other properties you visited when in Ireland. I note that you did like our rooms and beds and that you found our servers polite and the food good. We certainly would not have meant to rush you through any meal we served and I will ask the dining team to be more aware of same for the remainder of the season. Again many thanks for your review.

Kind regards
Dave Kelly
Cork
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I stayed in Westwood House Hotel on a recent business trip to Galway and I was really impressed with my stay. The hotel is spotless and has a homely feeling to it. It also has free and ample parking - which is an added bonus as the hotel is close to the City Centre.
The staff were welcoming and friendly. I arrived late in the evening and I think that I must have been half asleep or else I was experiencing in a blonde moment but I couldn't figure out how to work the ironing board (I didn't read the instructions properly!). In any case, the minute that I rang reception to say that I couldn't figure it out, they sent somebody up to me to show me how it worked. Nothing was a problem. The breakfast menu was very varied and I opted for the porridge and Full Irish - it was an excellent choice. I only stayed for one night as it was a business trip but I would like to try it for a leisure break the next time as it seems like a good base for exploring the greater Galway area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear eimzom,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay here with us at The Westwood.

I was delighted to read how you found our location and parking helpfull, and how our staff were quick to help with the 'ironing board issue'. Your comments in relation to our food, in particular our breakfast, are very complimentary and I have passed them on to all the team in the kitchen.

Should you choose to return to Galway, either on business or for leisure, I can assure you of the same quality of service and attention.

Ireland
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Good location, good food, not such a great night’s sleep. The hotel is located about a 20minute walk/5minute drive from Eyre Square, this was perfect for us as we were heading further west to Clifden and did not have to navigate through the myriad of roundabouts in Galway City. As the hotel is a wedding reception venue (during my two visits to the hotel there have been weddings) it is advisable to request a quiet room if you are not part of the wedding party. Unfortunately on my most recent trip I had requested a quiet room but we were above the ball room and the sound of the DJ/wedding bands on the two evenings carried straight up to the bedrooms. My bed sheet had a hole in it on both occasions, which isn’t the best when you pull back your duvet cover. That said, the rooms are generously proportioned and the bathrooms are big enough to have a small party in. The staff are very accommodating, we had an issue with the air conditioning and they resolved it swiftly. We had to call reception a few times for various reasons and each time the staff were very helpful. As part of our stay we enjoyed breakfast (lots of lovely cereals, fruit, juices and freshly baked brown bread. Then there were the cooked options, pancakes and full Irish breakfast.) and dinner on several evenings. The main restaurant menu is delicious, we enjoyed soup, fresh salmon, perfectly cooked steak and warm and delicious desserts (Chocolate Fondant is quite something!) on several occasions.
In short, well located, good food and ask for a quiet room away from the ball room on event evenings to ensure a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: Room over the restaurant is the quietest.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Kamuela, Hawaii
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My family of four stayed here for two nights. The hotel is modern and clean. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The rooms were very nice. We ate at the restaurant which was very good and we also had room service for breakfast. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Gordon K,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay here with us at The Westwood.

All your comments, regarding our rooms, staff, restaurant, and room service are very positive indeed and I have passed them on to all the team here in the hotel. It was our pleasure to look after you and your family and, should you choose to return to Galway again at any stage in the future, we would be delighted to take care of you once again.

Albuquerque
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Well appointed room. We were tired when we arrived after a long day of cliffs of Moher and impossibly narrow roads, so we stayed in for the evening. Decent restaurant with three course dinner as well as a la carte.
For seeing Galway, the hotel is a 10 euro taxi ride from downtown, but driving in and parking were not attractive options for seeing the city.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Pabuelo,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us here at The Westwood.

Yes indeed The Cliffs Of Moher can be a long day, so I was delighted that you were able to enjoy our 'well appointed' rooms, and how you enjoyed our selection of menus in our restaurant. I trust you enjoyed the rest of your visit to Galway.

Once again many thanks.

David Kelly,
General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dangan
Flannery's Hotel Galway
The Twelve Hotel
The Twelve Hotel
#1 of 1 in Barna
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,646 reviews

Been to Westwood House Hotel? Share your experiences!