“Excellent Experience”

Westwood House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dangan
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Stayed here while attending a wedding in the hotel. Really good experience from first arrival. Room was standard hotel room, bed was massive. The food was excellent at the wedding. the lobby was very cosy also with a fire going in one corner. The lady that seemed to be going around making sure everybody was ok was very nice and she was on hand again the next morning at breakfast seeing to everybodys needs. The breakfast room was very cosy also with another fire in there. there was a great selction of food for breakfast. whatever you could think of for breakfast they had it. The hotel is at the edge of Galway city but Id imagine it loses business from the address not mentioning Galway city for anybody that's unfamiliar with the area. We will be recommending it though to everybody going to Galway. Tiny problem with our room key card not working properly, I did inform them of this on check out and I have no doubt they will fix it

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fran3632

Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

I booked a lunch for a group of approximately ten people to celebrate my graduation from nui galway on Oct 19th 2013. I was very disappointed with the meal and the service. When making the booking I had asked for a pasta and cheese sauce for my daughter who is quite limited in her choices when eating out. I was told by the person I booked with that it would be provided. However I it wasnt provided and I was told that the kitchen staff did not have the facility to make a basic white sauce in the kitchen that day. ( I suggested that they add some cheese to a basic white sauce but they sent out word that they could not facilitate me). They did not forget to charge full price of twenty five euros for this girl's meal which was pasta with no sauce. The whole meal was sub standard and at the time I was embarrassed to query my two hundred and fifty euros bill because my guests were present when I paid. I had been looking forward to the occasion so much and wanted my guests to have a decent sit down lunch .I thought from the advertisement for this hotel's graduation special lunch and its suitable location that I was picking the best place but truthfully I made a huge mistake.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank 190Lucy
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review above. I am dissapointed to read your comments. Our restaurant diary shows no request for the sauce listed above to be available on the day - it only notes that 3 vegetarians will be in attendance. We did not have a white sauce on with any of the menu items on the day in question - we did however offer alternatives. Your table was checked during lunch and there was, we believe, ample opportunity to discreetly make the team here aware of whatever the exact issues you refer to above were at that time of payment of before. Our system shows that you were billed for 9 persons @ €24.95 & 1 @ €19.95. I note that you have also marked us down on "location", despite referring in your review to the suitability of same for your needs.

Yours sincerely,
Dave Kelly

Reviewed 6 February 2014

I've stayed at the Westwood on several occasions before and was always satisfied but my most recent experience was very disappointing.
Firstly the receptionist Patricia was extremely rude and curt and did not seem overly happy to be behind the reception desk.
Unfortunatlely I also had to deal with her on the phone a few days previous where she was again rude and curt over the phone with a real attitude.
The room appeared to be half cleaned with rubbish from previous guests still in the room and no cups just saucers when I went to make a cup of tea, there were several stains on the carpet and it looked liked it hadn't been hovered in days.
The bathroom was big and spacious but mid having a shower there was no water and when there was water it went from being freezing cold to boiling hot, it took half an hour for the toilet cistern to fill up and I could hear it very clearly while trying to sleep with the bathroom door closed....avoid room 212 at all costs!!
Had food at the bar and it was fine but service was slow considering the place was practically empty apart from the group I was there with. The waitress was professional and friendly.
I did mention to a friendly receptionst (not Patricia!) the next day about the room not being clean and she apoligiised but that was it, I left diappointed and frustrated with such poor quality rooms for a four star hotel.
Next time I'm in Galway I'm definately finding somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank molld89
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2014

Dear Molld89,

Thank you for your recent review of The Westwood. I was of course very dissapointed to read of the issues you encountered. Despite you mentioning below that the issues in your room were brought to our attention upon departure I have been unable to exactly determine on what dates you stayed and indeed what room you stayed in (both of which would be helpful in investigating why you encountered the issues you state below). With this in mind could I ask that you please contact me directly via generalmanager@westwoodhousehotel.com or Locall 1850 366 000 and I will be happy to discuss your comments and endevour to make amends where possible. I note that you have stayed with us on several occasions before and were always upto now satisfied and I would hope to restore that faith in us.

Kind regards,
Dave Kelly

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I wanted to write a review to thank David (General Manager) so much for everything he and his staff did to make our wedding day so special. From the second we met with him, we were convinced we had made the right decision and we weren't wrong. At each meeting, he was so organised and had thought of every detail that we knew we had nothing to worry about, making organising the wedding very easy. Not something you hear very often from a bride! Also, as we had a mix of Spanish and Irish in the wedding we were so happy that they were open to any changes we wanted to make so that we could include customs from both groups. It really felt like the wedding was tailor made for us.
On the day, the room and reception area were beautiful, the food was exquisite, and the staff could not have done more to make our guests happy. All our guests commented on the food,the wine, the cocktails the beautiful bedrooms, and the friendly staff.
It is a real gift to have been able to make us feel like our wedding was unique and special despite the fact that they do lots of weddings every weekend. It is this mix of experience, exceptional customer service and a homely feel that made our wedding day perfect. I would highly recommend the Westwood to anyone getting married.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SAM2180
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We held our wedding and reception at the Westwood Hotel on October 31st. Many of our friends had recommended the hotel as a top class wedding venue and they weren't wrong. From the first day we met with David and his team we knew we had made the right decision.
From start to finish the attention to detail and level of service provided by every member of staff we encountered was amazing. They looked after every little detail so that we could relax and enjoy our day, confident that everything would go exactly as planned.
We dined in the bar the night before the wedding as a group and had family breakfast the morning of the wedding, each time the service was fast, menu selection was varied and food was so tasty. As for the wedding menu, our friends and family are still telling us what a fabulous meal it was and we have to agree. We had been to the hotel a few weeks prior to the wedding to taste our selected menu but on the day the meal exceeded our expectations, it was simply fantastic.

We cannot complement the Westwood highly enough for making our day as special as it was and will cherish our memories for years to come.

Thanks again to David and all the team,

Claire and Billy

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Galway-gurl
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Our second visit to this hotel. Staff very courteous, room clean and comfortable. The food was great, both in the bar and the restaurant. The short distance from the city centre is easily managed by taxi. I've no doubt that we will return again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank calvados21
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We are just back after having a 3 night stay at The Westwood in Galway. Having arrived we were immediately given a complimentary upgrade to a superior room. There was a small glitch with squeaky pipes coming from the wall but the staff were extremely acommodating and immediately moved us to another room.
There was complimentary prosecco and handmade chocolates in the room and complimentary tea and scones were available in the afternoons. These little extras really make a big difference and other hotels could really take note of this!
We had 3 breakfasts and 2 evening meals as part of our package and the food was fantastic. There was 6 or 7 choices on the breakfast menu and as the evening meal was part of the package we had expected there to be a separate set menu for this purpose but no it was the main menu and I had the biggest fillet steak ever. You certainly won't come away hungry from this hotel. The staff were fantastic, Donna and the girls on reception couldn't have done any more for us and the restaurant and bar staff were extremely pleasent and helpful. Overall, a really nice stay and we will definately be back. Thanks guys!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nickydawn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dangan
Maldron Hotel Galway
#4 of 46 in Galway
The Connacht Hotel
The Connacht Hotel
#20 of 46 in Galway

Been to Westwood House Hotel? Share your experiences!