“Room Hot & Stuffy”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dangan
Co Wexford
“Room Hot & Stuffy”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

My Mother and i stayed here over the Easter weekend and overall had a very pleasant stay. The staff were very friendly & efficient, the food in the restaurant was very good as was the breakfast. The only complaint was the air conditioning was not working properly in the room making it hot & stuffy. When we came back in the evening we had to put in on full blast which was noisy and had to keep it on low all night, other than that the room was large, as was the bathroom and spotless.
I would recommend this hotel but I hope they get their air conditioning sorted out!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LesleyCoWexford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Polish first
England
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I stayed for two nights over Easter for a family wedding. The outside was a bit off-putting (in a delicate shade of tangerine!) but inside was lovely and the staff were very friendly. We had a deluxe double room at the back of the hotel which was very quiet. The room was clean and the bed was very comfy. The heat in both the hotel room and the public areas of the hotel was verging on sauna-like while we were there. The room air conditioning was noisy and inefficient. The meal at the wedding reception was lovely. Considering it was mass catering it was served warm by efficient and friendly wait staff and was very tasty. Breakfast was also a big plus with a good range of hot food that could be prepared to order as well as some very nice buffet options (and fabulous pastries!). Key Cards kept losing their programming which was a bit frustrating but all in all it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Angelnet
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Angelnet,

Thank you for sending in such a lovely and honest review. I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful experience while attending a wedding. We take great pride in providing a warm and friendly service as well as one of the best wedding this side of the River Shannon.
I have passed on your review to all the team here with my thanks and I hope the next time you are in Galway you will consider staying with us again.
Thank you again for your review and I look forward to meeting you the next time you are back with us.
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Westwood House Hotel on May Bank Holiday weekend. I was really looking forward to our stay. On arrival I thought the hotel looked nice. However, our greeting was underwhelming and the lady at reception was by no means overly welcoming. I thought this was poor behaviour for a 4 star hotel. Our room was very nice and had been well cleaned by the accommodation staff. It was spacious and bright and had all the facilities of a 4 star hotel.
On the first night we ate in the Westwood Bar, the service and food were great and the waitress with the blonde hair was fantastic. One major problem we encountered was when we went to our room that night we were greeted by extremely loud music from the wedding downstairs. Our room was over the functions area so it was hard to hear anything else. We were not part of the wedding party so it was very annoying. At half 11 at night I rang reception to enquire about the noise level and I was told the band would be playing until half 1 that night. The receptionist told me that there was no other room available and that people who are not part of the wedding are placed on the second floor, however we were on the first floor. The lady at reception was not very helpful at all. Eventually the noise died down.
On departure, once again, the service at reception was not what we were expecting. We got an "okay, thank you" no apology for the noise, or if we enjoyed our stay.

Overall the hotel itself is lovely and relaxing, the bar is great (drink prices a bit dear), but the service at reception does not meet that of a four star hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid the first floor if there is a function.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank A S
Dear Aine O,

i would firstly like to thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I would also like to apologise for experience you had with us here in the Westwood. As seen from other reviews we take great pride in providing a welcoming and friendly service. There is no excuse for how my receptionist acted and I have spoken to the front office team in relation to this.
I would also like to apologise for the loud music. While it is always our intention to but non wedding guests to a quieter area of the hotel there are times we miss some rooms. This is by no means an excuse and I am deeply sorry for any inconvenience you may have experienced.
I am also happy that you had some good experiences here in the Westwood. I have passed on the compliments to the Kitchen and the Bar team in relation to your review also. Thank you
If you are ever back in Galway please feel free to contact me personally at generalmanager@westwoodhousehotel.com and I would be delighted to look after you.
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The hotel is situated outside of Galway city, a 30-40 minutes walk to the city, and a 15-20 minutes walk to the university.There are two roads outside with quite heavy traffic. My room was quiet, I had specifically asked for this, whereas a colleague got a room with a big ventilator shaft right outside his room, making a steady noise all night.
The rooms are large, with place for a desk to write at, and chairs and a little table for reading.
Breakfast was superb, with very nice service from staff - cooked breakfast at ordering, juice, coffee, toast, everything one could want.
Our last night there a big wedding took place - I understand the hotel frequently hosts banquets and parties. The guests stood outside in the parking lot smoking, and the ventilation sucked smoke into my room during night. Not nice. I know from other colleagues with rooms facing the same direction that they also experienced this. That impacts on my grading of the visit.
To summarize, nice helpful staff, scrumptious breakfast, not all rooms quiet and the risk of smell of smoke during night.

Room Tip: Beware of the ventilation shaft that some rooms face - if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Paresandefot
Dear Paresandefot,

Thank you for ending your review. I would firstly like to apologise for the noise and the smoke going into your room. I have my maintenance team looking into this and hope to make sure this does not happen again. However I am hearted to read that you had some wonderful experiences here as well such as the great service and the breakfast.
Thank you again and if your are ever back in Galway feel free to contact me on generalmanager@westwoodhousehotel.com
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed at the Westwood hotel over Easter weekend and had a very good experience. We booked a very reasonable package deal through the hotels own website which turned out to be great value. We were staying with our 18 month toddler and the family room was plenty big and very clean as was the hotel provided travel cot. The Easter eggs left in the hotel room was a lovely gesture. Breakfast was good both mornings as was the dinner on the Sunday night. Would recommend the hotel to families.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Sorcha321
Dear Sorcha321,
Thank you for leaving your review. I am delighted to have read your wonderful review. I have passed on review to the team here as a means of thanking them in carrying out the tradition of warm and friendly service. I hope your baby enjoyed it as much as you and your partner did. Please think of us the next time you are in Galway.
Thank you again for taking the time to write your review
Ireland
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

I spent a lovely family Easter weekend at the Westwood.
I have 2 young boys and the Easter eggs in the room went down a treat. The family room was spacious and the staff were really friendly. Cannot remember the young mans name at breakfast but he was really friendly with the kids.
We had dinner included one evening and it was very good. The restaurant is almost too good for a typical hotel standard..I could see their possible dilemma including hotel guests and trying to advertise as a proper restaurant. The food was great and the staff very good with our young boys. It's a few minute drive into the centre and
I would recommend this hotel and will be back.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank GEC777
Dear GEC777.
Thank you for your wonderful review. So happy to have read your glowing review and highlighting the team and the food. We take such pride in providing warm friendly hospitality with excellent food.
I hope to see you again when you are back in Galway and thank you again for leaving your wonderful review.
Trim, Co.Meath
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my husband and our two boys (8 years and 15month old) over the easter weekend. We got their easter weekend family special which was bed and breakfast and one dinner for all. When we arrived the I loved that there was no problem with parking. Check in took less than 2mins which was great. Room was lovely and big and clean. My 8year old was delighted to see two easter eggs were left for him and his brother, I thought this was very nice of the hotel. Also a family pass to the atlantiquarium was left for us as well as 10% discount off our meals in the bar and restaurant. We had our evening meal the first night and it was superb, best pork I've EVER had. All in all our stay here was wonderful. I would have given it 5 out of 5 but the only thing I wasn't all that happy with was the atmosphere in the restaurant. I wasn't all that relaxed with our 15month old in there because it was so dimly lit and felt more like it should have been couples only but the staff were very welcoming. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if we're in Galway again. Great value for money and a really relaxing hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank cayoola
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dangan
Flannery's Hotel Galway
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway
The Twelve Hotel
The Twelve Hotel
#1 of 1 in Barna

Been to Westwood House Hotel? Share your experiences!