“Good galway hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dangan
Lisburn
“Good galway hotel”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Good location on Clifden Road on way into Galway. Good parking facilities and city centre accessible on foot ( about 30mins walk ). Good if not spectacular restaurant and nice bar. Room very comfortable and clean.

Room Tip: Quiet location so noise should not be a problem.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tommynak

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Polish first
St. Gallen, Switzerland
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We arrived at Westwood house on a saturday evening. We had a very good first impression of the hotel: Large, clean and comfortable rooms. Friendly staff and good location (approx. 5 mins out of town by car).

Unfortunately our stay was not as comfortable as we expected it to be based on the first impressions. Our room (109) was located directly above a wedding venue. We returned to our room at about 9.30 pm after having dinner in town.

There was no chance of getting any sleep as the band played very loud music until 2.30 am! As the room was directly above the venue, it was extremely loud and we felt like being in the middle of the party. It must have been a very good party! Remark: We would not complain about a little music, even if it would have been played until midnight. But it didn't stop at midnight and the music kept going with unchanged volume until approx. 2.30 in the morning.

We complaint twice at the front desk via telephone and asked for another room. In addition to that, we wrote an email to the GM asking for refund (s. picture below). As the hotel was fully booked, we couldn't change the rooms. The next morning we talked to an assistant manager, who was indeed very friendly and promised to arrange for refund.

Nevertheless, we left the hotel totally dissatisfied on sunday morning. The hotel itself is nice, but in our opinion the noise from the party was unacceptably.

A week or two later, we received an email from Westwood House offering a refund of only 25%, which was not agreeable for us.

If you stay there: Make sure that there is either no wedding party during your stay or that you get a room which is far away from the wedding venue.

Room Tip: Make sure that you are not in the rooms above the wedding venue!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ThoManu
GM1Galway, General Manager at Westwood House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear ThoManu,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I would like to apologise to you here for the lack of sleep quality experienced. I believe we have discussed everything in personal emails between us. Once again I would like to sincerely apologise.
Canberra
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Nice old building in pretty setting. Pub and restaurant are nice -good food. Staff are pleasant.
Room was adequate but quite stuff in warm weather with no fan or a/c. Traffic noise was a little disturbing.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Kgor,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I have my maintenance team looking into the Air con. I am glad everything else was to your satisfaction and if you are ever back in Ireland it would be wonderful to have you stay with us once again.
Ireland
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I have been reviewing on Tripadvisor for few years and always reveiw totally honestly what is my personal opinion on hotel or restaurant or city etc due to my experiences there. I am shocked recently at those who review negatively for some premises just because they are bit peed of at something in a hotel other than food or cost or a genuine valid reason for a negative comment. Its so hard for a business which a hotel is to combat that negativity. The written word sits there to be read and taken as gospel for a long time.

I stayed in Westwood House Hotel last weekend with two friends. I do check Tripadvisor regularly if looking for a hotel and look at food, service, cleanliness, proximity to city, peace and quiet, spa etc etc .... the practical things. Some reviews on this hotel almost put me off booking. The traveller photo's looked good, there was parking, food looked good etc so in end when they had availability and staff on phone we so nice I booked it. Bit of trepidation to be honest. I have to say I was so happy from the moment we drove into the tree edged hotel grounds with ample safe parking and a short walk to the hotel door. All areas of the hotel are gorgeous including reception. Staff in all areas of the hotel were so so friendly but it was natural not from training or forced..........they were just professional and so nice. They gave us terrific info on directions when driving to places we needed to visit. Our room was spotless, plenty of good fresh air in big windows, fab bathroom. We had dinner one night in dining room and again staff just so nice and food was top class. One of us booked room service dinner one night again excellent and prompt. Breakfast each morning (now we were down early so had quite room almost to ourselves) was really good. Again staff were just themselves so natural and just lovely. So many times in hotels your feel the staff are trained to such an extent that the friendliness has to be forced they seem to go through the motions cos they are tired. Staff in this hotel you felt liked working there and the place had a friendly feel throughout from reception to household staff to bar staff. We found the cost of accomodation and food etc was excellent...very good value for money. We would not hesitate for a moment to book this hotel again and advise our friends to use it too. It in a lovely area and not far out of Galway city at all. My advice and that of my friends who were with me.....its a fantastic hotel in all senses and they deserve to be praised highly and deserve to be supported in business. I will be staying there again when next in Galway.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked front door and carpark.........there was no noise inside or outside hotel....qui...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank eire317
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed mid week with my infant daughter. Staff were very accommodating when it came to supplying a cot, organising a babysitter, and sterilising my baby bottle. We even had an adjoining room to my parents which was handy.
It wasn't busy when we were there, but I got the impression that the staff were not very good at multi-tasking. When we checked in, another guest approached the reception and he wasn't even acknowledged. And our check in took ages because the man at reception got a couple of things mixed up. It was no problem at all, but I felt sorry for the other guest who was just standing there being ignored. The phone kept ringing too, but the guy at Reception didn't/couldn't answer. I would, of course, expect to be seen to first, but I would also expect the phone to be answered and to be put on hold.
The food in the restaurant was nice, but very expensive I thought. I had some deep fried brie, which in my opinion should have be light and crispy golden on the outside, and gently oozing in the middle. But this was covered in some oat thing, and was rubbery on the outside and pure liquid (?!!) on the inside. I had the lamb for mains, which in fairness was cooked rare just like I ordered, but we were waiting quite a long time for my Aunt's dish to arrive, (like, maybe 5mins after the other orders had arrived).
My lasting impression of this hotel was that it was fine, and the staff were nice, but I probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Freecakes,
Thank you for writing your review. I was sorry to read that you had a mixed experience when you stayed with us. Thank you for pointing out your experience of your check in. I have spoken to the reception team and we have used your review as a training tool to highlight how the team should handle a situation that you experienced.
I have spoken to chef about your overall restaurant experience we are going to review prices as well as menu items.
Thank you again for your honest feedback and if you are ever back in Galway please feel to contact me at generalmanager@westwoodhousehotel.com
Carrick-on-shannon
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed for one night at the weekend.there was a wedding there when we arrived so we actually had to go and sit in the bar for a hour until we could check in,as reception was so busy with wedding guests.the wedding totally took over the hotel all day.the music from the wedding went on late into the night and then started again at 9 am Sunday morning.when I rang down to enquire why there was a band playing under our room-including drums-at 9am I was told there was mass on in the function room!when booking in i had asked for a room on the 2nd floor as I knew it would be quieter but the receptionist (who was on her own and very frazzled) told us there were none available.the next morning when I mentioned the noise and subsequent lack of sleep to a different receptionist on checking out she apologised and said we shouldn't have been put in that room and it was the 2nd time that morning she'd had to deal with complaints over the same issue.this noise issue was in addition to other small problems like key cards not working properly etc.overall,I definitely won't be rushing back.theres too many other nice hotels in Galway to choose from!

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Niamhsh,
I would firstly like to thank you for taking the time to write your review. I would like to sincerely apologise for the poor lack of sleep quality experience during your stay with us. I am not sure why you had to wait in the bar on check in as we regularly have weddings and we always check in non wedding guests in while the reception was taking place.
I have spoken to the reception team here and I am using your review as a training tool going forward.
Once again I would like to sincerely apologise. If you are staying in Galway again please contact me personally at generalmanager@westwoodhousehotel.com and allow me to look after you personally.
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel was nice and the room was comfortable. However, they were holding a wedding and the music and noise kept us up very late. The wifi also cut in and out constantly and when we needed assistance we called down to the front desk and went down to the lobby and no one could be found. The hotel is also driving distance from Galway which was inconvenient.

Stayed July 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dangan
The Twelve Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway
The Connacht Hotel
The Connacht Hotel
#21 of 45 in Galway

Been to Westwood House Hotel? Share your experiences!