“Good country pub”

The Coach House Inn
Rutland
“Good country pub”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We called in for lunch on bank holiday Monday as we had been gardening and this pub is on the way back from the tip. We hadn't been for a while but got a nice welcome from the batman who couldn't have been more helpful. A girl took our order and I only wanted a starter as I am familiar with the portion sizes as last time i was here i had the lasagne, which is massive for a single portion, and did not want to be over-full and sleepy all afternoon. My husband ordered a main course as he said he was starving. This caused a bit of confusion and I had to explain that we wanted a starter and a main SERVED AT THE SAME TIME so we could eat together. She was still confused and sent the batman over to ask me if I wanted a double sized portion. Once the food arrived it was really good. We didn't have to wait more than a few minutes. Reasonably priced, will definitely go again. Lovely glass of house white!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Reggiethedog

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Bermuda
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We had a big family birthday here earlier this month and had the big back room to ourselves. My father had already chosen it because it is one of his favourite places for a nice meal, but I hadn't been before. The food was excellent. We'd already chosen our meals from a set choice so they had plenty time to prepare. I had smoked salmon - enormous pieces - and very tasty. Then sea bass, with scalloped potatoes and roast vegetables, which was delicious. For pud, it was sticky toffee pudding, and that was really yummy. Everyone (26 people) seemed to enjoy their meal. Service was prompt and friendly. The only negative was the terrible noise that the coffee machine made at the end. It was an excellent meal. Definitely would go back.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2013

We have had many great meals at this lovely pub. The food is cooked fresh and the menu changes on a regular basis. I am a vegetarian and I was very impressed at the effort made to cook me something that wasn't goats cheese or risotto which seems to be the staple of veggie offerings these days! The meat eaters in our party were pleased with their choices as well. Really lovely puddings too. A great place for fresh, seasonal, home cooked food.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Rutland
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I was compelled to write a review having read the three bad ones. This is one of our local pubs and we visit regularly. The bad reviews are all written by Americans who clearly are not satisfied unless half a cow is offered on a plate. The food is plentiful and of very good quality - you do not normally get roast sirloin as the cut of beef for a Sunday Roast. The real ale offered is always well kept and I don't think we have ever had a bad pint. A good friendly pub with an excellent restaurant and open fires - well worth a visit. Can't comment on the accommodation as haven't needed to stay but the private dining room is lovely if you have a large group.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ghacker0
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Found this place by chance on a cold Tuesday in January. We had a very good lunch in the bar, which was welcoming and decorated with warm ochre colours. The food was freshly prepared and the portions generous. As we were driving we didn't sample the wines on offer but noted there was a very good selection.The relaxed atmosphere and friendly staff and other customers mean that we shall definitely return next time we are in the area.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Uppingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Where better to celebrate a pre Christmas dinner that at The Coach House in South Luffenham.A party of eight came and enjoyed the well though out Christmas Menu in an upstairs private room. The pleasure of a well furnished, comfortable room seating our group was an unexpected pleasure.
We enjoyed the delights of Xmas goodies with the usual Turkey, Christmas pudding and Mince pies with other choices such as Fish and an interesting Game Bourguinon. A great enviroment and a delicious meal. Mine Host Charlie has a well run establishment with a pleasurable and atmospheric bar also a well laid out restaurant. As someone who has frequented this hostleiry for many years it is like coming from home to home.
Good prompt service, good food and good atmosphere. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I have stayed here for work a number of times (and also a couple of times for pleasure as so good)and it really is perfect. Rooms are spacious with comfy beds, showers are a little on the small side for a 'larger person' but I found them fine. Tea and coffee provision in room. Breakfast includes ground coffee and a variety of cooked items to choose from as well as cereal. The food in the pub is great, home cooked and good size portions. In particular the seafood taglitelle is amazing :o)

Staff are very friendly and helpful and dispute being a solo traveller never felt uncomfortable in bar.

Close to Rutland water (a short drive away) and all it has to offer

I wish all the places I stayed were as good as this. In summary one the best places I have stayed.

Room Tip: Langham or Tinwell are very spacious