“Special Sunday Lunch”

The Coach House Inn
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I took my wife for Sunday lunch as part of her birthday celebration . We had been before about 3 years ago and always planned to return and experience once again the delicious food and warm and friendly welcome . Well we were not disappointed and indeed we both agreed that our visit was even better than before ; they even placed a candle in her desert ; sticky toffee pudding . There was a good choice of meats and a more than adequate serving of fresh vegetables which were cooked just as we liked , firm but succulent.
All this plus real ale I was wondering who's treat was this ! We will not leave it so long till we return

Room Tip: You have choice between eating in the bar area or restaurant . We chose the bar as we wanted a less...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 July 2013

Have eaten here several times, as a couple, in larger parties and for a function with 40 people. Experience has always been very good. Friendly welcome in either an attractive cosy bar or more elegant, spacious dining room. Food is excellent - the beef is particularly high quality. Generous portions, good service and moderate prices.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I had no choice but to return to this pub for a birthday. The servie was terrible, when I complained about the soggy veg that was served back I got a 'I'll tell the Chef', nothing more. The beef was tough and the yorkshire burnt.

I maintain - this is a very poor local choice.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Adam R
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We called in for lunch on bank holiday Monday as we had been gardening and this pub is on the way back from the tip. We hadn't been for a while but got a nice welcome from the batman who couldn't have been more helpful. A girl took our order and I only wanted a starter as I am familiar with the portion sizes as last time i was here i had the lasagne, which is massive for a single portion, and did not want to be over-full and sleepy all afternoon. My husband ordered a main course as he said he was starving. This caused a bit of confusion and I had to explain that we wanted a starter and a main SERVED AT THE SAME TIME so we could eat together. She was still confused and sent the batman over to ask me if I wanted a double sized portion. Once the food arrived it was really good. We didn't have to wait more than a few minutes. Reasonably priced, will definitely go again. Lovely glass of house white!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Reggiethedog
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We had a big family birthday here earlier this month and had the big back room to ourselves. My father had already chosen it because it is one of his favourite places for a nice meal, but I hadn't been before. The food was excellent. We'd already chosen our meals from a set choice so they had plenty time to prepare. I had smoked salmon - enormous pieces - and very tasty. Then sea bass, with scalloped potatoes and roast vegetables, which was delicious. For pud, it was sticky toffee pudding, and that was really yummy. Everyone (26 people) seemed to enjoy their meal. Service was prompt and friendly. The only negative was the terrible noise that the coffee machine made at the end. It was an excellent meal. Definitely would go back.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 April 2013

We have had many great meals at this lovely pub. The food is cooked fresh and the menu changes on a regular basis. I am a vegetarian and I was very impressed at the effort made to cook me something that wasn't goats cheese or risotto which seems to be the staple of veggie offerings these days! The meat eaters in our party were pleased with their choices as well. Really lovely puddings too. A great place for fresh, seasonal, home cooked food.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I was compelled to write a review having read the three bad ones. This is one of our local pubs and we visit regularly. The bad reviews are all written by Americans who clearly are not satisfied unless half a cow is offered on a plate. The food is plentiful and of very good quality - you do not normally get roast sirloin as the cut of beef for a Sunday Roast. The real ale offered is always well kept and I don't think we have ever had a bad pint. A good friendly pub with an excellent restaurant and open fires - well worth a visit. Can't comment on the accommodation as haven't needed to stay but the private dining room is lovely if you have a large group.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ghacker0

Been to The Coach House Inn? Share your experiences!