“Quite the experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 Oldcastle B&B and Inns
Lewisville, Texas
“Quite the experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

Stayed at Ross for two nights with my family of 5 on our recent 2 week vacation to England, France, Ireland, and Scotland. What a unique and great stay. Very atmospheric and just the right amount of historic flavor without sacrificing creature comforts. Benita and Sam the owners were absolutely great. Friendly and warm! If you want to come back from your vacation with a really unique tale to tell, this is the place. A little hard to get to but really worth breaking away from standard hotel stay. My wife and I decided if we ever come back just the two of us we would make a point of staying longer. Would make a great relaxing and romantic getaway.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Steve W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

I returned again this year for a stay at Ross Castle with some friends. Once again Benita and Sam Walker were great host. We arrived and all check in rooms and I decided stay in middle bedroom in tower, which is supposed to be most haunted. I took my backpack to room and put my coat on chair and returned to great hall for some drinks before dinner. I forgot my camera in my coat and climbed back up spiral staircase and noticed some clothes had been thrown behind a chair. I picked up my camera and returned and ask if anyone had been and no would admit it. We had another great dinner of leg of lamb which was great. Then Sam started a nice turf fire and we sat around. When I returned to sleep and I found my jacket around the corner on a radiator and other clothes tossed around and one of my bottle of waters near window. Was not expecting this. So I guess I found what I was looking for. Benita made us a great breakfast and we had a great experience again. I look forward to returning with some more friends next year, but will let someone else enjoy the experience of the middle bedroom.

Room Tip: If you want a chance at a great experience, select middle bedroom in the tower, top room has great v...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank paulterrysireland
Punta Gorda, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

The first thing I would like to point out is that the one poor and to average reviews were done a long time ago. The current manager is a member of the family that owns Ross Castle and takes her job seriously. Keep in mind there are at least two Ross Castle's in Ireland this is not the one in Killarney.
We found the castle to be very comfortable and clean. The landscaping was good and there's plenty of parking. The breakfasts like in most B&B's in Ireland was huge.
It is difficult to find this location. They did give us latitude and longitude to enter into our GPS and this helped a lot. But we did still get lost. In my opinion it was well worth the trouble to find this hidden gem. Most if not all of the castles in Ireland are out of my price bracket. I thought that for what we paid this Castle was a bargain. We took two rooms and were the only people there, but it was early May. This turned out to be a good thing because we got to tour the entire Castle including the tower rooms. The tower rooms are very impressive. They are up a spiral staircase so they're not recommended for anyone with physical difficulties. But they have downstairs rooms which are very nice. The common areas had a very authentic Castle feel to them. We had a bad experience at a B&B that only had their heat on for three hours in the evening. So we asked our innkeepers to please be sure that the heat was not turned off. They gladly agreed to this. I only mention this because apparently it is not unusual in B&B's to turn the heat off at nighttime. I would recommend this Castle to any adventurous tourist. If you're looking for the Holiday Inn this probably is not your cup of tea.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank mangomike2
Sharps Chapel, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2013

Benita and Sam provided my son and I with a marvelous experience. They couldn't have been any more friendly and welcoming. The ancient haunted castle atmosphere was exactly what I had wanted and was not disappointed. Creature comforts were there but not at the expense of the overall feel of the place. My son and I were the only guests so we had full run of the castle and grounds. Benita was there in the morning fixing a wonderful breakfast for us and of course Sam would be around as well making sure everything was as it should be but come nightfall we were alone (if you don't count the spirits). A blazing fire would always be waiting for us in the evening, a Godsend given the fact that castles are, by their very nature, COLD. We did have a few paranormal experiences but nothing so intense as for it to be intolerable although at times a little unnerving. If it's exercise you're looking for request the upper tower room! The location was absolutely gorgeous being out in the countryside and on a beautiful lake loaded with swans. If you want to know what living in a castle is really like then I highly recommend a stay at Ross. I will definitely be back! Thank you Benita and Sam.

Room Tip: If you're looking for convenience choose a ground floor room but if you want the true experience...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

What a great family vacation at this lovely, authentic, rustic castle! The hosts - Sam and Benita - could not have been nicer or more accomodating. There were 11 of us at the castle so they had their hands full. We had several early outings and they were always there to fix a delicious breakfast. The fire was always ready in the evening. Recommend getting the Irish GPS as it is a little difficult to find, but the journey through the countryside was half the fun. The rooms were spacious and comfortable, and the ghostly atmosphere adds to the excitement level of staying at a 16th Century castle. Benita helped set the mood on our first night with some ghost stories told with only the light from the fireplace dancing across our faces. I don't think any of us will ever forget the time we spent there and it will definitely be a regular stop on any future trips to the Emerald Isle.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Joe1226
Wicklow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

A big thank you to Benita and Sam for a most enjoyable family experience at their wonderful castle. Benita is an excellent cook and managed effortlessly to cater for our group of 12 adults and 6 children. The 12 adults all sat together for Sunday Lunch at an enormous carved oak table, on very comfortable ancient 'throne like' armchairs while the children were happily accomodated close-by at their own table. The surroundings were grand yet homely, made even more atmospheric by the most enormous blazing timber fire we had ever seen.

The food was excellent. For lunch we had a creamy butternut squash soup for starters, followed by delicious local roast beef served with a special Ross sauce, roast and mashed potatoes, buttered carrots, mashed swedes and seasonal brussels sprouts. Benita's bread and butter pudding went down very well with the adults while the children very much appreciated their special plate of desserts. Everybody raved about the high standard of the food and the comfort of the accomodation.

When it came to leaving Ross, nobody wanted to go home.... If Benita and Sam will have us back we would simply love to make this an annual family event.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Dargle
Peter S, Manager at Ross Castle B&B, responded to this review, 26 November 2012
Thanks for your great and very detailed review. And for the yummy description of the food. I'm sure Benita and Sam will be more then happy to welcome you again.
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

This is the second time that a group of friends and I have spent the night at Ross Castle for something different to do and both times I thoroughly enjoyed it. It can be a little hard to find and should maybe be signposted from the R154 just outside of Oldcastle. It is set in gorgeous surroundings that add to the eerieness on a cold winter night. The decor and atmosphere are authentic and the blazing fire in the main living room adds a cosy ambience. Benita and Sam are really welcoming and accommodating and Benita's cooking is amazing! The price for an overnight stay with 4 course meal and breakfast is really reasonable. It was the first time at the castle for each of my friends and they all want to go back. While the castle is available to any number of people travelling together, I think the best way to do it is gather ten or more people and have exclusive use of it. A friend of mine asked if we could make this an annual thing so no doubt we will be back :)
Tips on how to get there:
To get to the castle google Oldcastle. Go through the village on the R154 and drive right to Mount Nugent. Turn left at the Drapers shop in Mount Nugent and follow the road. You will pass Sheelin Nursing home on yur left then go over a small bridge. A short distance later you will come to a 4-fork cross roads, turn right for the castle. It is signposted from here but we got lost prior to this as Google was tying to send us down unnamed roads off the R154 that we therefore could not find so a farmer gave us these directions through Mount Nugent

Room Tip: The yellow room is the comfiest bed in the house but the room is not ensuite. Travellers can bring...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank JayBeck
Peter S, Manager at Ross Castle B&B, responded to this review, 26 November 2012
Thanks a lot for your positive review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, and I'll make sure Benita and Sam will get your positive feedback.

And thanks for the directions. We'll work on some enhancements on our webpage to make it easier to find the castle.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oldcastle
Cabra Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kells
Riversdale Country House B&B
Riversdale Country House B&B
#35 of 274 in County Donegal

Been to Ross Castle B&B? Share your experiences!