“Great views from the balcony”

The Park-Garden Hotel at Mattenhof Resort
Noida, India
“Great views from the balcony”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The best thing about the place were the great views from the balcony. The room was as such comfortable . They have a laundry room with washing machines/iron on each floor. Its a ten minute walk from the main market-area. No problem.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aman A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Where do I even start? I was here last August for 1 night, and what a night it was. 1 day prior to my visit to the Mettenhof “resort”, we were looking at photos of the hotel. We were confident and excited by our choice. It looked lovely. After paying at reception, we took the tiny lift upstairs. The rooms seemed pretty basic, which wasn’t a big deal since it was only a 1 night stay.

We had a balcony view of the alps and the courtyard which was just lovely. But that’s about it. This is where the nice bit ends.

Before going out to eat, we decided to inspect the bedding. Every bed sheet had holes that had been stitched up, mostly likely more than once. Our appetite (as well as our spirits) had plummeted once we saw the bedding and pillows. The colour of the bedding was a pale blue which was interesting. Interesting because the bottom of the bedding was a greenish yellow with yellow stains in the middle. The same goes for the pillows. Call me crazy, but I like having bedding that’s clean. Weird!

Needless to say, we spent most of the evening wrestling between the classic ‘should I stay or should I go’ conundrum. Did we stay? Yes - because it was too late to go. We all slept in our corduroys, jumpers and jackets. It was a nightmare.

In hindsight, seeing the “No Refunds” sign should have been my first clue.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Mon L

Travellers are raving about these Matten bei Interlaken hotels

Sydney
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This hotel is in serious need of renovation. It reminded me of those haunted houses in horror movies. There was a door leading into the dark attic in our 2 bedroom suite....it scared me and my kids. So we asked customer service to change our room - to be honest, the customer service was very good. They did change our rooms. But the second lot of rooms were no better - there was another door which connected to next suite. Apart from that, the customer service was very good. Breakfast was reasonable. Location could be better - you have to catch a bus to the town centre and back (but its free for tourists - gotta love the swiss). But I guess for the price, it was okay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Scotts Valley, California
Reviewed 14 October 2013

After a long drive to get here and basing our reservation off the website, we were kind of taken back by the "Hostel/Hotel" neon sign over the entrance way. At 400 CHF for 2 nights for a family room in the off season, I was not expecting the "hostel" feel when we arrived. It was loud in the entrance way with the bar hopping with people and smokers outside the entrance to the hotel.

Although a very old hotel, built in the mid-1800s, it is well maintained. The rooms are very basic, but clean. You only have cubbies for clothes, a flat screen TV, a bed and a chair in each room. We were fortunate enough to have a balcony which was really nice and the view of the mountains around was beautiful. The bathrooms were out dated and the handheld shower wand barely got enough pressure to wash your hair. Some rooms offer a "shared" bathroom while others had their own. The walls are super thin and you can hear people talking a room away from you and feel & hear every step your neighbors take. Also, from the 3rd floor you could hear the loud bass of the music playing in the lobby.

Despite all that about the rooms and entrance, there were a ton of families here and not at all the single hostel environment it appeared to be. The breakfasts were simple with 4 choices of cereal, some fresh meat and cheeses, some yogurt, and each table gets delivered croissants and hard boiled eggs. However only one person works the clean-up and stocking of food so depending on the time you arrive, the food selection could be next to nothing so you may need to be patient.

Overall, not a bad place to stay. It is not in the heart of the Interlaken tourist area but a short 3 minute drive to get to it. The hotel does have charm but it is lacking in some ways which makes it only a 3-star hotel in my book.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
zürich
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I have planned to stay for two days, but left after the first night. this Hotel should decide, whether they are a backpacker hostel or a Hotel or at least separate these two areas more effectively. Also, I found the Hotel in general to be dirthy (reception, corridor, bar), the blankets in the room had wholes, the rooms are ugly furnitured, there was no closet in the room. the "restaurant" is part of the bar.
although the stuff was friendly, the service was a bit unprofessional.
but they have a very nice garden.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank elenis1
Porto, Portugal
Reviewed 1 July 2013

If you go to booking.com, you will find a lot of photos that make you dream of a very pleasant stay at a fashionable hotel. What you see is NOT what you get. I and my family found an old building needing urgent refurbishment. That was NOT the problem. The hotel was dirty (we opened a black trolley on the room floor and it magically became dust white), the bed linen is lousy (there were only mattress protections with cigarette holes, not real linen), the hotel is publicised as a family hotel (see the photos in booking.com) and you find that the two first floors are destined for backpackers.
Add to that a receptionist who doesn't care about your complaints and the picture is complete.
It really is a pity that such a lovely building with such a wonderful location is not appropriately used. It's a real shame...

Room Tip: Find another hotel!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Jomalofe
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed 28 June 2013

This definitely used to be a majestic hotel once, but now it is just terrible to look at. Everything is falling apart, everything is dirty. All the furniture is outdated. Nothing has been renovated for decades. The owners clearly can not manage this building.

I was booked into a standard room. My first words to myself, said out loud, when first opening the door to my room where: no, it can't be! But yes it could. It was about 9 square meters maximum. At first it seemed there was no bathroom at all, but what at first seemed like a door of a built-in closet turned out to be a door to a tiny bathroom about the same size as usually in the cheapest cabins on ships. Whenever you opened the tap you always also received some water coming from the shower and you could not escape it because the bathroom was so small.

My standard room had a metal bunk bed for 3 people. I could not count the holes in linen, there were so many. The pillows had 2 pillowcases, thank god for that because the pillows itself where just so dirty. I spent 2 weeks there. They did not clean my room at all, only made up the bed and changed towels. After a week I had to ask for vacuum cleaning. Of course then they only did that but did not do any dusting. And it was not just the room but the whole hotel was just so dirty all the time.

Every day I found meter long black hair on my new towels, on bed linen and on the floor, i think this was the most disgusting part as I myself have blond hair and therefore noticed them right away.

The service in the reception table and during breakfast was below any standard, on the whole everything was below any standard.

As this hotel was already prepaid and because of a festival everything was booked elsewhere, I could not change it either.

On the whole, everything was below any standard and I would not recommend it to anybody.

Room Tip: Another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
#2 of 8 in Unterseen
Stella Hotel Interlaken
Stella Hotel Interlaken
#7 of 40 in Interlaken

Been to The Park-Garden Hotel at Mattenhof Resort? Share your experiences!