See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 August 2017

First impressions are that this is/was a very grand hotel in the past. It seems to have fallen on hard times, however. The hotel is very large, but seems characterless because it is mostly so empty. The breakfast room could be grand, but now just looks shabby. It makes the measly breakfast on offer seem even smaller than it is. Some days, when the breakfast was served by an older lady, it was bearable. Other days, when t was served by a pair of young girls, it was very poor indeed. We stayed for 5 days so I feel I can speak with some authority! One morning we had to clear our own table to sit down because nobody else was doing anything. The area was dirty, there was no bread or milk (given that toast and cereal are pretty much all that is on offer for self service this was a big deal). The bread is always stale. Sometimes the younger girls brought a basket to the table containing one hard boiled egg, one nasty greasy croissant, one tiny tub of Nutella and one yogurt (you don't get to chose the flavour but they are invariably banana). Like it or lump it. The older lady trusts you to get your own. The only fruit is a HUGE bowl of tinned peaches which stayed for the duration of our stay, and probably longer. Not all bad.... Upon checking in we were informed by the (actually quite pleasant) reception staff that we had been upgraded! To be fair our room had a fantastic view of the mountains, and had a huge balcony. But the Jacuzzi didn't work and the neighbours smoked in very close proximity to the room, meaning we had to close the windows all night. And now for the other guests! As another poster mentioned, some other guests can be very noisy! They let doors slam, bang about on doors and walls at all hours of the day and night, and shout loudly down corridors in languages I don't understand. Staff do nothing about this, which is a shame because it leads to reviews like this one, and clearly affects the occupancy and cash flow of what has the potential to be a very nice hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far away from other guests!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 565cherryo
Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night in a hot summer and felt like i have stepped into a Wes Anderson film. This hotel is truly old and has alot of character. It looks like perhaps it had seen better days decades ago just like The Grand Budapest.

We took 4 rooms and it seems the normal rooms fall into 2 different categories. The room facing the entrance has a more renovated and modern feel with clean toilet tiles and proper furnitures filling the room, but there is no balcony and view faces the main road with some mountain views in the distance. The room i stayed in which faces the garden and swimming pool has a much better view of snow capped mountains and swiss cottages. There is also a small balcony with 2 small chairs and tables for you to enjoy the view. Even my toilet has a big window that opens up to that view. BUT, that room is really old and bare with minimal furnishings or designs, while the toilet is covered in old mosaics. My room with its fantastic views and balcony is really creepy at night. Feels like the setting of a horror movie set in an old hotel.

The walls between the rooms are really thin too. I can hear every single word spoken and bath taken by my neighbour from my bed. It could be because there was a locked interconnecting door between our rooms. There is no air conditioning so you would have to leave the balcony door open during summer to let in some cool breeze. But the problem for me was some guests were sitting at the garden below and chatting till the late night. We could hear their conversation clearly too through the open balcony.

The public areas are filled with the charm but run down grandeur of an old dame. From the wide corridors, mosaic flooring, hard wood wall cladding, hanging lamps and chandeliers with high ceiling and tall windows, it would appeal to guests who like this type of design.

Location wise, it is between the only 2 train stations in Interlaken. Too near for a cab and too far to walk with bags and luggages in tow.

Breakfast spread was bad... but then all European hotel breakfast are bad compared to Asian hotels....

The hotel design is charming and there are many places to explore and find out about the history of the hotel but if only they can modernise the rooms while still keeping the charm, it would be perfect.

Stayed: July 2017
Reviewed 13 March 2017 via mobile

My husband and I loved this hotel immensely. Lots of character and history. Food was delicious, each day we tried the daily menu. The staff were friendly and we had a great time. A short walk to the town and nice locals. Excellent scenery (breathtaking) views from the garden area. Will be back!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 November 2016

The hotel is so rustic and classic, we are like in the golden era of Jungfrau. the location was ok, surounded by the mountain with nice view in the morning of time lapsing sun shining on the hills.the room is ok just simple bed with Swiss mountain style of furniture. The breakfast is very simple bread with cheese and confiture also cereals. we try also to dinner in the restaurant, the cheese soup is good and the chicken frickase is ok also.for the pricing is average.

Room Tip: the room with mountain view is the best
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2016

Well i've read the reviews for this hotel and I thought i'd give you my perspective.
The hotel is set in a fantastic location, we could see the Eiger from our room. That, to me, gives it 5 stars! but, I'll give you an unbiased review and you can make up your own minds.

We stayed for 3 nights during our European road trip. The hotel was clearly a grand lady in her day, and still looks great, it's not modern, old style but clean and full of character.
We met the owner (his name escapes me now) and what a lovely, helpful guy. Nothing was too much trouble.
We stayed at a quiet time (end of September) a great time to go. Weather is still lovely. The owner explained the hotel is very popular with Asians at busy times such as Christmas and the height of summer. If this is a concern for you, bear this in mind when you go.
We dined when we arrived. There wasn't many guests to cater for but the food was great.

The room was very comfortable, but our view from the room stunning! There was a kettle in the room but take your own tea bags etc. if needed.
Breakfast was very well catered for, a broad range for all, set in a lovely old dining room. I say old as in 1940's style, which I really liked, clean and well decorated.

The hotel seems to attract climbers and those taking part in activity sports. I wouldn't say it was suitable for elderly looking for total quiet unless you're the outdoor type!
However we didn't hear a sound, no loud noises or music.

The hospitality of the owners was fantastic and we would definitely return.
If you're looking for 4 star, bell boy service then look at more of the expensive hotels in the town. Bear in mind, you are in Interlaken, in a stunning setting, in Switzerland so you pay for that. Switzerland is not cheap. They use the Swiss Franc (CHF) but will accept euros. You will get change in CHF however. Remember to use up before you move on!

We took the Jungfraujoch to the Top of Europe and wow! what a trip! Expensive yes but worth every penny. It was slightly overcast that day, but clear at the top. I suffered with the high altitude, thumping headache, and even a slight brisk walk upped my heart rate, so if this happens to you, take it easy. Sit lots. Drink plenty of water.

I would definitely recommend this hotel, and return again. Any questions, please feel free to ask.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3rd floor or above with view of the Eiger.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple