“Room smelled like socks, lukewarm AC”

Greenhills Elan Hotel Modern
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in San Juan
San Juan, Philippines
“Room smelled like socks, lukewarm AC”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Checked in to help the baby sleep better, but the first room they put us in smelled like dirty wet socks. We called to switch rooms and we're now in a room with lukewarm airconditioning.

The lady at the front desk (all alone) isn't someone who should be a frontliner. Seems always irate and everything she says is "it can't be done" or something to that effect.

Had to holler to the guard, too, to get the bellboy to take our bags, and he left our van door open! Just got in a few hours ago, and I hope the breakfast saves the experience, although I highly doubt it's possible.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank RinkaSyCip

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 15 July 2014

My dad had to come to Manila to attend a funeral and asked me to look for a hotel nearby. The most convenient hotel I found (according to google maps) was Greenhills Elan. I told my dad that this was the most convenient and the hotel price for a night is reasonable. Aside from that, I was able to stay here for a night with my cousins back in 2011..so I'm a bit familiar with the hotel. Before confirming the reservation..I checked tripadvisor for recent reviews and most of the recent ones are positive. I checked the price for Agoda and thru their website, both have the same price... P3450. I called the hotel yesterday as well just to check if the price will still be the same. (I know there are times that hotels have different rates or promos if you book thru the phone.) I was informed that their rate is P4200. So I told my dad to just book directly thru their website..so he booked it yesterday afternoon. When we arrived today (July 15) at around 1:30pm..that's when the series of bad experiences started..

First impression --- not 1 front desk officer was smiling (must be the weather --- typhoon Glenda).

Second --- we saw a poster that they have a rainy day promo..it's at P3550..with 1 hour massage free..free wifi and 2 complimentary facial vouchers..so we asked if we could convert our reservation to this. The Front Desk Officer Yani(e) immediately said no. I told her that I called yesterday and I wasn't informed about this promo. I was only told that the rate is P4200. And she just said yes that's the regular rate. Again..no smile.

Third --- room wasn't ready yet. Yani just flat out told us that check-in time is at 2pm. Still...no smile.

Fourth --- we were asked to make a deposit of P2000. The other FDO (RR) was actually the one handling our check-in process told us that they will just call the bank to cancel the transaction tomorrow for the deposit if we use credit card. No receipts or slips will be given to us. Now..I know how a cc machine (I think)..but I'm quite sure that when you void a cc transaction..there is a confirmation slip. So anyway..upon hearing the conversation with RR..Yani then told us that yes there will be a receipt. So...they both have different infos.

Anyway..we plan on talking to the Desk Manager if we still have time. But as of now..I wouldn't recommend this hotel anymore. Bad bad bad customer service. All of the people at the front desk seemed aloof. I'm hoping it's just because of the weather...if not...then the management should do a refresher or training for their front desk officers.

I've worked in a customer service-oriented company..and no matter how crappy I feel..I still manage to give a smile to the customer...ALWAYS. But on the other hand..that company is an international company and has high standards for customer service. I guess I shouldn't compare it to Greenhills Elan.

But once again..to whoever from Greenhills Elan..if you're reading this...pls pls pls tell your front desk officers to smile and be accommodating to the guests.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank nitnit_uy
GREENHILLS ELAN H, General Manager at Greenhills Elan Hotel Modern, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We are grateful for your feedback. I do understand that you weren't entirely satisfied during your stay with us. Your comments are important to us and we take them seriously.

We were saddened of your experience with the Front Desk Officers, we shall conduct an investigation on this matter. Please be assured that we constantly have a refresher training for all of the staff.

Rest assured that these untoward incidents are not reflective of the high standard of service that we pride ourselves with and I hope that you will grant us another chance to provide you the best service in the future.

Greenhills Elan Hotel Modern Team

Travellers are raving about these San Juan hotels

Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 20 June 2014

For the past few years Elan has been one of the go to hotels by my office to hold its seminar workshops especially those requiring accommodation for participants. It is maybe my 4th or 5th time as a participant in the same hotel this June 2014.

D’Veranda Function Hall is our go to venue, at least in those seminars I have participated in. I am not sure but it seems you can only chose between two. Of the two this is better Function room because of as the veranda. Should your participants be bored or are in need of a stretch they can always go out without actually going down to the ground floor and get some air or to smoke. The hotel is strictly none smoking.

Of the 4 or 5 times I have been there I can say that I don’t look forward to the food which is saying something. For some reason chicken stands out which is too say if the hotel cooks something to my liking it was always the chicken. The mornings are always the best with the buffet breakfast. If I ever looked forward to a meal it was always that, but considering that I have been there around 4-5 times I wouldn't mind eating out.

Elan’s location has strategic value with Greenhills mall just a short walk away. Participants always head there to unwind after a long day. If you want to drink there is always Promenade where you can find many place to drink among them is Gerry’s Grill. Metrowalk is also a short ride away if Promenade is not to your liking.

Ortigas Avenue is a main road which can get you to Rizal province and beyond on one end and on the other is inward into the City of San Juan and beyond that Manila or western part of Quezon City.

On the road I sleep very lightly and unless I am wasted drunk I will most likely be awake early in the morning. You might say sleeping is important to me since I don’t get much while on the road.

I am not sure if the age of the hotel is a factor but something about the rooms, its layout; wallpaper perhaps, the lighting; it all makes Elan one of my more favorite places to sleep in. There is a modern clean feel to everything even in the hallways. There are hotels when you know it is old because of the smell of the carpet.

The best room I have had the chance to stay is 3719. It is long shaped which gives one the illusion of great space. And the rooms best feature is its big window where you have an angle to the mountains of Rizal, Ortigas Center, Wak-Wak, maybe Paranaque a little far off to the right. I came into this room after a day in seminar, and the lights of the city was fantastic.

Sometimes being out of the house ain't so bad.

Room Tip: 3719. I love the window and its angle toward the city.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Made a mistake in my reservation by booking the wrong dates via Agoda and was charged despite not using the room. I was initially told by the front desk upon check-in that I should check with Agoda and if there should be any refund, Agoda must be contacted.

Spent many overseas calling talktime to call Agoda and they agreed to help cancel the booking. Agoda contacted the hotel but was then told that the hotel was not going to refund in any way.

So the hotel went back on their word and did not cooperate with the refund.

I then tried negotiating with the hotel and asked if they will honour my reservation(yes it's my fault for booking the wrong dates) and I was willing to pay any penalty fees incurred. I was flatly refused and was not any consideration, thus ended up paying twice for services I used only once.

Aside from the payment debacle, the hotel seems rather old and the there are some ants and 1 cockroach found in my bathroom.

The buffet breakfast was just acceptable and nothing great. Selection is limited.

The hotel DOES NOT turn on the airconditioning in the lobby and various corridors.

I will not recommend anyone to stay at this place as it is not worth the money paid at all. There are better options elsewhere.

Room Tip: Higher floors have noisy A/Cs but great views which in my opinion is worth the trade off.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank jonahmobile
GREENHILLS ELAN H, General Manager at Greenhills Elan Hotel Modern, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Sir,

The Management of the Greenhills Elan Hotel Modern wishes to apologize for the inconvenience which happened to you during your stay at our Hotel.

But first of all, you have been told already by our Front Office Manager that we can't do refund for the booking. Even the Sales Team have helped you and ask for the help of the Accounting Team but this one was very hard to be modified for the booking was already settled as no-show.
We have given you the final words but then you try to call Agoda again and made confusion.

We really do give consideration but not to the fact that we are going to modify your reservation which elapse almost a month ago.

We have thought that this issue have been settled before you check-in.

Again we apologize.
Riverside, California
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

I bought the voucher from livingsocial for our class reunion. The place is nice for an intimate gathering. Being at the rooftop, I enjoyed the fresh breeze of air, food was good and the waiters were accommodating.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kcatito
Subic, Philippines
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I have stayed here a few times. Look out for them getting extra out of you. They will tell you a room and give you something else. Maybe they are not bad, but just stupid. In Manila, you always have to be on the lookout for being scammed, especially if you are white. From taxi's to hotels, it is a constant thing. Perhaps if this country was not so corrupt, they would have it together enough to have a functional transportation system. Instead, the politicians smile on their way to the Manila Polo Club.

Room Tip: Good luck.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Sean_W424959
mucklagh
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Fabulous room with all the mod cons at a very good price, really big comfy king bed, flat screen TV, fridge and hot shower. Staff were lovely, pool on top was cool with view of the city. The one I'd say is that there isn't a bar to hang out at in the evening, the pool bar was closed and not sure they even open it. Location is perfect, next to shops and restaurants. A little far from airport however.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
GREENHILLS ELAN H, Guest Relations Manager at Greenhills Elan Hotel Modern, responded to this review, 29 January 2015
Dear Valued Guest,

First of all we would like to express our gratitude for spending time writing this review.

I know it was a little late responding to your review but we would like to thank you, for choosing Greenhills Elan Hotel Modern for being your second home in San Juan. It was truly a pleasure to serve you.

We hope that the accommodations and service were to your liking, as complete satisfaction is our goal at Greenhills Elan Hotel Modern.

We would love to have the pleasure of seeing you as a regular guest.

We are looking forward to your next visit and wish you the best in your business and personal endeavors.

Once again thank you.

#5 of 63 in Quezon City
Fernandina 88 Suites Hotel
Fernandina 88 Suites Hotel
#25 of 63 in Quezon City

Been to Greenhills Elan Hotel Modern? Share your experiences!