“Great Hotel. Everything you want included in the price!”
Review of Hotel Noir

Hotel Noir
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
“Great Hotel. Everything you want included in the price!”
Reviewed 8 June 2012

We booked this hotel through some website which I forget which one it was. This was a 2 night stay, but we added a 3rd night because we were that pleased with the hotel! And got to see more of this beautiful city.

Pros and cons?

PROS. When we arrived the hotel was well signposted and easy to find on a sat nav. The bus takes minutes to the city centre or a lovely 15 minute walk if you fancy it (unless it rains). We were upgraded for no extra charge to a four poster bed room. The staff were warm and welcoming. The room was a good size and easily fitted a bed of super king size. It came with a nice size TV, a superb coffee/tea/hot choc machine, a nice modern bathroom, plenty of drawers and wardrobe space. And my personal favourite, the free mini bar!! Which was re filled everyday!! It also stored fresh milk and not that awful UHT milk you often get in hotels. There was also free wifi in our room and an iphone compatable speaker dock. The bar area was pleasant and the breakfast was good. Lastly, this hotel is very clean!

CONS
Not much, just little things really. The car park is small and tight. Not as bad as some reviews say though. The dressing table was worn and needed upgrading. The in room information guide gives lots of tips about York and what to do, but nothing about public transport! The frequant bus service bus stop is around the corner and not on the main road in front of the hotel. A bit confusing, but I suppose a member of staff would of told me if I asked. Should be in the guide though. We had room 206 and the TV was blocked by one of the bed posts (being picky now!) and lastly maybe a fan could be provided.

Overall, a great all round hotel which I would consider again for my next York visit! Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank Stewem
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Thank you so much for your review! So glad you enjoyed it all and what an obvious omission from our room pack - I am really surprised we've never noticed this before - it will be resolved immediately with all info on the buses.

We have a Hotel policy that any guest who makes a unique suggestion which we use gets a free stay at the Hotel - so please do call us (01904 643711) and let us know your details so we can welcome you back and give our thanks for your help.

Natasha Screeton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I have been reading some negative reviews regarding the Noir Hotel and am shocked. My husband and I found this gem of a Hotel May 2010 on our first trip to York and absolutely love it. Very crisp clean comfortable and cosy everything about it is relaxing. We have been to many Hotels but for us this is perfect if you want relaxation and the Best of York. It is placed in the area of Clifton Green witch has a little village feel about it.The Hotel is a large Victorian Villa with wooden beams. A ten minute lovely walk after breakfast takes you to Bootham Gate their you can do your Wall walk witch has fantastic views of York and the Minster or You can walk straight through the Gate to the brilliant vibrant shops and the many cobbled streets and historic buildings. The History is amazing as is our Hotel as after a day out you return to the casy Noir the friendly staff give you a personal service and nothing is a bother. We had a meal in the Noir restraunt from the A la carte menu it was lovely and then a wee drink from the bar. Before retiring to our room which has the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in.I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for relaxation, cleanliness, and comfort. Cant wait to return love York

Room Tip: Room 206 great bed.
4 Thank elizabethm846
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Thanks so much for this fab review - it is great to hear from guests who have taken advantage of all we and our amazing city have to offer. We look forward to seeing you again - if you call us direct (01904 643711) we can put you into the same room as last time as you obviously enjoyed it.

Thanks again

Whiyley bay
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Very small bedroom, dated and not inviting at all and very expensive too.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Oh dear - looks like Noir wasn't your thing at all. I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay but hope it didn't spoil your time in York.

For other people reading this - I'm guessing this was a compact room - we call them that on purpose so you won't be surprised at the size - they are recession-busting economy rooms which we do our best to describe as such on all websites so people understand that they are getting our cheapest and smallest room. Great for a bargain but doesn't suit everyone.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2012

we had a lovely 4 nights at noir hotel it was lovely we travelled by train was so good got a no 2 bus outside railway station and went outside the hotel so got the bus every day into the city the hotel was great lovely staff and the food was very good a really lovely breakfast and we had dinner one night it was good the hot drinks machine in tthe room was very good and tge the free mini bar was really nice and it handy to have the fridge would stay ther again and highly recommeded the hotel noir

Room Tip: there is no lift so if you have problem with stairs ask for a downstairs room we had a compact room...
1 Thank goldwing70
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Many thanks for your review. I am thrilled you enjoyed all that our hotel has to offer and do hope to see you again soon. Good tip about mobility issues - we will always do our best to help guests out but at busy times it can be tricky so it's always best to let us know when you book if you have specific preferences or needs.

Thanks again

Reviewed 25 May 2012 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay at hotel noir, overall it is a nicely done hotel in a great location and I would have happily paid more than our laterooms deal. There are, however, a couple of issues.

The room wasn't quite as clean as I would have liked but not too far off. I admire the aim of using local produce for the breakfast but I didnt feel that it was that much to write home about. Again, not poor by any means but I hoped for a bit more. My final observation was just that the staff weren't very friendly and a but more 'chat' might have improved this.

• Stayed May 2012
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Many thanks for you review. I take on board your comments and will speak to the staff - it's sometimes a hard balance to find with some guests wanting total seclusion and others more than happy to have a natter but we do try to get it right. I'm sorry you didn't find the breakfast much to review on - we keep it simple and good quality but I am pleased that you were happy with our local meat and produce.

I hope we will see you again in the future.

Batley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2012

We stayed here on a special deal - £23 for a compact room (yes, it was small but not uncomfortably so) - and what a surprise the room was - it had everything we needed - even fresh milk in the minifridge - the shower was superb - hot and powerful - what more could we ask for - fluffy white towels - yes we had those too and a very comfy bed!

The staff were friendly and helpful from the moment we arrived and were always on hand when needed.

It took us 20 mins gentle stroll to walk to the centre of York and £4.20 in a taxi back.

Will we go back again - most certainly! Even at full price this hotel is a bargain!!!

Room Tip: we were in a compact room and would not hesitate to choose one again - if you have mobility problems...
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Many thanks for your review and kind comments which I will pass onto my team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel soon.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Stayed here for two nights in a four poster bedroom. Mini bar was free and although wasnt fully to brim it was a nice little touch. room was very clean and bed was very comfy with a memory foam mattress. the robes and slippers were very comfy and was another nice touch. staff were very friendly and helpful. We dined in the restaurant on the second night and was very resoanably priced and food was of good quality and had some interesting dishes. only downside was the room was next to a busy road which was loud but wasnt an issue sleeping. I'd definately stay again to see how the buisness has evolved.

HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Many thanks for your kind review - I do hope we will see you again soon and you can give us your feedback on our development!

Natasha Screeton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
Hotel Indigo York
Hotel 53
Hotel 53
#31 of 46 in York
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,760 reviews

Been to Hotel Noir? Share your experiences!