“Bad food, noisy surroundings, no writing table”
Review of Hotel Noir

Hotel Noir
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Bad food, noisy surroundings, no writing table”
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Our family booked here for a tour of York and surroundings. Dont believe the pics ! Beware ! The rooms were noisy by the cars passing by outside and we could hardly sleep because the windows were of single glass held by old wood.

We easked for a writing table and a proper chair, because all there was a small cabinet with shelves. The chair was made of plastic and was a lounge chair of the cheapest kind. It was noisy all throughout our stay because cars passed below the windows and this went on until the wee hours of the morning ! It was pure agony. Reception didnt know if there was laundry service and told me to ask the waitresses ! Breakfast was completely burnt toast and the waitress argued it wasnt burnt despite its brownish blackish color all throughout ! Everything else was oily in the plate and no one bothered to wipe it at the kitchen. At the other table, some men were also arguing about the food and told the waitress to tell the kitchen staff that food sucks.

Since its summer, we asked if there was an electric fan and there was none. No other writing chair either. WHAT COULD BE MORE IMPORTANT ? a writing desk and chair OR A FILING CABINET WITH 5 SHELVES ????????? Very stupid hotel.

Dinner was a salad and bread but they forgot to add dressing. Neither was it made available. That costs 15 pounds or so. We will never, ever stay in this hotel again !

Room Tip: Make sure you specify quiet rooms away from the road and theres laundry service.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us and would like to address your points as there are a few issues which are factually incorrect.

1. I am unsure why you refer to a filing cabinet as our room furniture is a combination of wardrobes, drawers, tall boy drawers and desks. Some rooms don't have a desk due to layout issues - if this is a problem for a guest, we would normally be able to move them but that does depend on how busy we are unfortunately. There are no filing cabinets in any rooms.
2. The food - I am sorry you did not enjoy it but a little confused about your issues with the toast as this is made by guests themselves so they can choose whether it is lightly or strongly toasted. Our reviews on all sites generally give the thumbs up for the food so I am very suprised at your comments.
3. With regards to the dinner, £14.95 is the fixed price for a 2 course meal, not just one course and I would be happy to refund you if you let me know your name and date of stay and I will check your bill - it is virtualy impossible for you to have ben charged £15 for one course and I believe that you would actually have had 2 courses for this price.
4. Our chairs are designed to fit to be a comfortable supported seat and are very pleasant to sit in and certainly not cheap as you suggest.
5. We do have a laundry service - it is not used often as we are generally a short stay hotel, however my Receptionist directed you to the waitress knowing that she would have been able to assist you in that matter.

Yours sincerely,

Natasha Screeton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Takes around 15 minutes to walk into town. Nice little hotel, good value, nice breakfast cooked fresh to order, coffee topped up too.We were on the ground floor which is great for me. They have photos of how it looked before the refurb.interesting to browse through.

1 Thank whitewitchHull
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Many thanks for your review and so glad you enjoyed your time with us - I do hope to see you again soon.

Natasha Screeton

PS - I love your Trip Advisor id!
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Noir at the beginning of July to visit relatives in York. It was one of the few hotels we could get that allowed a one night stay at the weekend. Good location- walk if you want bus or taxi otherwise. We had a very nicely appointed room with some very nice touches a tassismo and an Ipod docking station. Excellent bathrooom just needed a bigger mirror to make it perfect. Lovely big shower cubicle which I really appreciated. Mini bar was a nice surprise. It's obvious that someone has gone to a lot of trouble to enhamce their guest's stay. Breakfast in the morning was the ususal fruit , cereal, cooked english breakfast and make your own toast.
Nice big car park which is worth it's weight in gold when visiting York.
What I would say is that I think the staff were somewhat "stern" I wasn't really feeling the love. Perhaps they were just busy or being efficient.
Definitley stay again though should the need arise.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank HertfordshireClem
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Many thanks for your review - glad you enjoyed the facilities but I am a bit disappointed about the stern staff - will look into this but do hope to see you again soon.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We chose the hotel for a mini break and were delighted with it. Our room was very nice and had everything you could want in it, including a tassimo machine which made great coffee and a mini fridge with milk in it. I thought it was a really nice touch to have a free minibar and the drinks were very welcome. The location is lovely, on a little green and it is a short pleasant walk to the city centre. I also chose this hotel because it had a car park, which is great as you could safely leave the car and go into the centre on foot. I found all the staff very pleasant indeed and had no complaints whatsoever. I will definitely come back!

1 Thank Tess500
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Many thanks for your review - looks like we got everything right for you and we do hope to see you again soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Nice, spacious room. Comfortable bed. Delicious full English breakfast cooked with local ingredients. Everything you'd expect from a quality hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martin968
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Many thanks for this lovely to-the-point review! We do hope to see you again!

Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Stayed for one night in this hotel, as we were attending a wedding in York. On paper, it looked like a nice hotel, but we were absolutely stunned by the way our visit panned out. On arriving back from the wedding at about 1am and getting into bed, we noticed that the middle of the bed was damp. After further investigation, it turned out the the middle of the mattress was actually damp through to the other side of the bed. Being 1am, there was no one on reception and we also knew that the hotel was full, as we had been told that on arrival. So, not being able to verify what had caused this wetness, as well as not wanting to sleep in a wet bed, we ended up sleeping on the floor. The following morning we complained about this and the manager offered us a refund of one third of our room rate plus offers of future discounts as an apology, for us having spent the night on the floor in what calls itself a luxury hotel. Absolutely appalling customer service - we would never recommend anyone to stay here.

HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
I am very sorry to see this review on Trip Advisor - as I have told these guests a few times, I had this room checked by my most senior management team and none of them could see or feel anything to suggest that the matress was wet at any point. Having direct experience of this issue in the past, I can assure any Trip Advisor users that a wet bed (for whatever reason) takes days to dry out, not overnight, and so we would certainly have been able to see and feel it the next day. The sheets and mattress cover were pristine, which could not have been the case.

We offered a partial refund to compensate the guests for their discomfort but as they hadn't called our night staff to assist them we really felt that there was little else we could do. Had there have been evidence of wetness I would have given an immediate and full refund but this simply wasn't the case.

Any readers who want to see the written statements by my management team are welcome to do so.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2012

spent one night here following booking a 'groupon deal' at £64.
hotel clean and rooms lovely. beds comfortable and staff welcoming.
cost approx £6 from hotel to city centre in taxi.
food in hotel resturant was nice but a little over priced.

would reccomend!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gpjones_86
HotelNoirAdmin, Manager at Hotel Noir, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Many thanks for your review - I am so glad you enjoyed your time here. I note your comments about the meal prices and would say that we offer a very competitive dinner package for those guests who want a great value meal as part of their stay and this does cut a good amount off the standard menu prices - hopefully we could tempt you with that if you return to York!

Natasha Screeton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
Hotel Indigo York
Dean Court Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Hotel du Vin York
Hotel du Vin York
#19 of 47 in York

Been to Hotel Noir? Share your experiences!